My kitty is old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
guys, i am crying my eyes out sometimes. it's my kitty. he's almost 14 and i am broken inside. i luv that cat. he's my baby brother. maybe i sound wacky, but anyone with a pet probably knows how badly it hurts when you know you're going to lose your best pet-friend. i think i'll cry for weeks when he goes. i don' know. i luv you all. PLEASE be here for me when/if he goes. please.

Hey Luvs, I'm sure everyone will gather round..I know how you feel, I've got a doxie that is my best friend. She is 12 and growing weaker ...No need to feel wacky because you love your pet..That is what makes YOU special.. So hang in there with your little friend..

kadesma

Yes luvs, hang in there - but remember this - - - there is a natural cycle to life and this is a part of it. I know you don't want your cat to live forever and suffer and be in pain. I have a mini dachshund - I would be devastated - but I would not want her to suffer.

Luvs
I had my Yorkie for 14 years..the Vet said he was 2 or 3 when he came to us. I thought I wold die when we had to give him up and that was 7 years ago and I still grieve for him. I am so sorry I let him go through so much pain before I let the Vet take him and put him down gentley.
I understand how you feel and will be here for you when the time comes..please, don't let Kitty suffer.
Marge

thank you guys all so much. we have 7 kitties, but Ozzy is the oldest, save for Ellie, who is arthritic, but we haven't a clue how old she is, because we adopted her from Petsmart when she was pretty old. she cries if you even pick her up, poor kitty.
we haven't had to put one down yet, thank God!

Last edited:
I'm feeling for you luvs......I am so attached to my cat Trinket I too wouldn't be able to handle it if anything happened to her. She's approx. 8 now. Not really sure. I got her from a lady when I went to her rummage sale. I asked how old she was and the lady kind of hesitated like it was some big secret or something :) and said 5.....well that was 3 years ago. I've never been so attached to an animal before in my life. I always joke and say I'm going to have her stuffed when she passes but theres no way I really would. Oh before I forget......my parents poodle sometimes suffers from arthritic pain and the vet told us to give her 1/2 an aspirin. You might see what your vet thinks about that for Ellie. By the way my friend has a cat named Ozzy.......he's whacky. She woke up the other morning to a severe sharp pain on her breast and the stupid thing decided he was going to nurse.........I about peed my pants laughing when she told me.......can you imagine being violated by a grown cat in the middle of the night. Ok.....just wanted to share that with you to hopefully put a smile on your face. You know we'll be here for you whenever you need us. Keep us posted.

I love my cats and dogs.

I have a Golden retriever who is 15 years and 2 months, every year we think we will lose him, but somehow he keeps on keeping on. I know I shall miss him terribly, but he will live on in my memories and also in the bloodlines of our careful breeding programme.

"Those that we love don't go away, they walk beside us everyday"

luvs i can relate. i have 2 cats, one is 12 the other is 11. i have lost many pets over the years and it doesn't get any easier cause they're family. i remember when i had to have my boxer put down. i grieved for weeks and my bf had the nerve to say "it was just a dog". i have never been so irate with him than i was at that moment. anyway to get back on track, when the time comes i will be here for you. you can cry on my virtual shoulder anytime.

SizzlininIN said:
I'm feeling for you luvs......I am so attached to my cat Trinket I too wouldn't be able to handle it if anything happened to her. She's approx. 8 now. Not really sure. I got her from a lady when I went to her rummage sale. I asked how old she was and the lady kind of hesitated like it was some big secret or something :) and said 5.....well that was 3 years ago. I've never been so attached to an animal before in my life. I always joke and say I'm going to have her stuffed when she passes but theres no way I really would. Oh before I forget......my parents poodle sometimes suffers from arthritic pain and the vet told us to give her 1/2 an aspirin. You might see what your vet thinks about that for Ellie. By the way my friend has a cat named Ozzy.......he's whacky. She woke up the other morning to a severe sharp pain on her breast and the stupid thing decided he was going to nurse.........I about peed my pants laughing when she told me.......can you imagine being violated by a grown cat in the middle of the night. Ok.....just wanted to share that with you to hopefully put a smile on your face. You know we'll be here for you whenever you need us. Keep us posted.

lol, thanks for the laugh, sizz. i laughed so hard my eyes watered.:ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Feel your pain. Thursday night we had to say goodbye to my best friend. He would have been 12 in Aug. His mother had a difficult delivery, he was breech. So, I delevered him, cut the cord and he spent the first night with me while his mom was at the hospital having the rest of the puppies.

He has been sick for the last 6 months, and there was nothing else medicine could do for him.

He was the best dog I have ever had. I miss him terribly, and it hurts.

Just love them while you can!

oh, goodness, rainee.
i'm so sorry you lost your friend.
i'm getting a little tearful here.
it's so hard to lose a pet!
what makes it hard here is that we buy the older cats cause they have such a lesser chance of being adopted, and you don't know how old they really are. :mellow:

So sorry for your loss Rainee!

Luvs....I'm glad I could relieve some of your sadness for a little while.

AllenMI.....oh wow.....thats why I wanted her to check with her vet first.....I've never given a cat medicine other than ear drops so I wasn't sure. Thanks for the information and warning from all us cat owners.

Whether its a pet or a human one should always check with the doc before giving medication. I did a search regarding what AllenMI said and this is what I found at

http://www.vetinfo.com/catortho.html#Treating%20arthritis%20in%20cats
Aspirin can be used in cats if it is used very carefully. It is best to have your vet examine your cat
and help you determine an appropriate dosage, although the standard dosage is 10mg/lb of body
weight, given every 48 to 72 hours. It is very important to stick to these long dosing intervals
because aspirin has a long half-life in cats and can accumulate, leading to toxicity, if it is given daily.
Do not use acetaminophen (Tylenol tm) or ibuprofen (Motrin tm) in cats.

Luvs, our old man Puff is going to be 21 !! this August. He's certainly not the mighty hunter he once was; is arthritic, can only eat soft food, and we think his vision is going. But he still comes up to snuggle whenever we sit down, and the other day he actually took away the toy mouse Pippin was playing with, and started batting it around a little bit! So ya just never know. Enojy the time you have with him.

marmalady said:
Luvs, our old man Puff is going to be 21 !! this August. He's certainly not the mighty hunter he once was; is arthritic, can only eat soft food, and we think his vision is going. But he still comes up to snuggle whenever we sit down, and the other day he actually took away the toy mouse Pippin was playing with, and started batting it around a little bit! So ya just never know. Enojy the time you have with him.
puff sounds like a good 'ol guy. poor old kitty. 21! WOW! you must've taken the BEST of care of him!!!!! right now, my girl Esther is hanging out with me, being a stubborn little kitty. i call her 'cute-pea'. she's a brat, lol, but in a cute way.

sizz, not till dove posted did i notice your site reference. THANK YOU!

Our baby is 17 and arthritic. She sleeps a lot more than she ever did but still enjoys being brushed and getting her treats. She can't jump or climb more than a foot or so but doesn't seem to be in pain. I know the day will come when we have to let her go and if she does have pain that's when we will do it. Just remember what a good life you have given your baby and all the love you have given each other. You will always have that.

Rainee, I am so sorry for your loss. How horrible and hard.

luvs, is your kitty sick? 12 is by no means serious old age for a cat. We routinely have our kitties live to 20 or so. I think you can count on snuggles for a long time to come.

My current two cats are 13 and going strong. One is diabetic and has been on insulin for the last three years and is still hale and hearty. She had a spell a while ago where she appeared to be in some serious pain (of course in the middle of the night!) and the vet determined she had gastric pain :rolleyes: . We got some teeny pepcid pills, and some special kitty pain killers. They weren't that expensive, and better safe than sorry I think. Be careful what you give your little buddy.

Ahhhh Rainee I'm sorry. It's nice that you had him for so long. I'm sure you'll miss him bunches.

Back
Top Bottom