Gotta Love Those Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Ya know, everywhere I go, every potluck or picknic I have attended, almost every party, has had at least one version of baked beans. I've seen them straight from the Bush's can, and I've seen them slow-baked until the beans were a rich brown with molasses infused through each and every bean. Some had meatballs, some had mini-wieners, some had ham, some had hamburger. And every single recipe is different. So c'mon, let's face it. We love our beans. And to top it off, they are nutritious to boot.

I wan't to see everyone's favorite baked bean recipe. Now I'm not asking for your shortcut recipe, I want to see your heart put into this topic. Give me your best. I think we will all learn a little something, and come away with new and great bean ideas we may have never seen or tasted before. And isn't that the purpose of this site? :mrgreen:

Here's mine.

2 cups dried navy beans
1 tsp. salt
1 lb. pork roast, with fat
water
1/2 cup Splenda
1 tsp. Pure Maple Extract
2 tbs. Chili Powder
1 tbs. prepared yellow mustard
1 Onion, cut into 6 wedges
6 oz. tomato paste
2 tbs. Mollases
2 tbs. Cooking Oil

Pour the beans into a three-quart dutch oven and add enough water to cover. Bring the water to boil over high heat, then shut off and cover. Let rest for 20 minutes.

Heat your bean-pot on top of the stove. Add the cooking oil and continue heating until the oil is fragrant. Chop the pork into 1/2-inch cubes and add to the pot. Stir-fry over high heat until lightly browned. Add everything but the beans and water. Cover and simmer over very low heat.

Drain and rinse the beans. Cover again with water and bring to a boil. Continue cooking until the beans are soft. Then drain and add the beans to the bean-pot. Stir and taste. Adjust the flavors (sweetener, mollases, maple, etc.) until it tastes just the way you want it. Cover and place in a 250 degree oven for three hours. Remove and serve with your other favorite foods, or maybe with a hot dog that's been roasted in a back-yard campfire. Now that's good eatin'

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My recipe is from a woman at church who always makes the beans for our food related fundraisers. Everyone loves them.

Baked Beans

1 lb Navy Beans

1/4 lb salt pork

1/8 cup sugar

2/3 cup molasses

1 tablespoon dry mustard

s&p to taste

1/2 medium onion

Pick beans over, rinse and soak overnight in cold water. Place peeled onion in bottom of bean pot (or your dutch oven), add drained beans. Cut through salt pork rind and place on top of beans. Mix sugar, molasses, mustard, salt and peeper with one pint boiling water and pour over beans. Add additional water if necessary to cover beans. Bake at 300 degrees for about 6 hours adding boiling water as the beans cook.

Back
Top Bottom