burning bottoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clyons3

Assistant Cook
i need help with my burning bottoms! the bottoms of my cookies, my muffins, my chicken cutlets etc. all seem to get crusty and burn.:wacko: i just moved so i am dealing with an older oven which is gas. i bought an oven thermometer so i can check the temp. when i bake, but i haven't had a chance to use it. besides the temp., can anyone offer some tips to a not-so-novice cook? thanks!

What type and kind of bakeware are you using?

Thick aluminum bakeware helps keep food from burning. Even putting a cookie sheet under a baking pan helps also.

i just bought "bakers secret" non stick cookie pans, muffin pans and a 9X13 dish. they are somewhat the bottom of the line(i'm assuming because of the price, less than $7 ea).

Factors that can cause burned bottoms:

1. Oven rack is too close to the bottom of the oven: Most baking is done with the rack in the middle of the oven.
  2. dark metal cookware: try shiny metal cookware or drop the oven temp by 25F.
  3. oven temperature. Using that oven thermometer may answer some questions for you.
  4. Standing too close to the campfire. Take one or more steps away from the fire.

thanks so much for the info. it was really rotting my socks every time i pulled out my food from the oven and it was crusty.wish me luck with the next batch of muffins. does anyone have a particularly favorite brand of cookware that's close to foolproof? how about the silicone stuff?

Before looking at any cookware, check the oven temp before you put the food inside. Heat up the oven to 350 with the thermometer inside of it. When the oven is through heating, compare the temp on the thermometer to actuall temp of the oven and then adjust accordingly.

Andy M. said:
Factors that can cause burned bottoms:

1. Oven rack is too close to the bottom of the oven: Most baking is done with the rack in the middle of the oven.
  2. dark metal cookware: try shiny metal cookware or drop the oven temp by 25F.
  3. oven temperature. Using that oven thermometer may answer some questions for you.
  4. Standing too close to the campfire. Take one or more steps away from the fire.

Ok #4 cracked me up:LOL:

thanks for all your help guys. i just baked a batch of bran muffins with my new thermometer(which showed a 50 degree difference, by the way)and i threw an extra cookie sheet under the muffin pan(thanks choclate chef!) and they came out perfectly! now if only i could tear myself away from your recipe threads i might be able to start dinner...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom