oil and frying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyberian

Assistant Cook
Is sunflower oil good for frying French fries?

The label on the jug says:

Not recommended for deep frying due to low smoking point.

Now, I didn't do so good in science back in my grade years. So I don't get what is wrong with it.

It means don't use it. A low smoking point basically translates that the oil will "burn" at a lower temperature than that of other oils. To properly deep fry, the oil temperature needs to be between 350-375 degrees and some oils cannot be heated that high without smoking. If you use that oil you risk a fire in your kitchen. The safest all purpose oil to use would be Canola.

Last edited:
That was fast!

Is there one specifically for frying? I plan to fry a lot.

EDIT: Someone answered it before I even submitted! Thank you, you two!

Not too much traffic, but active and helpful. Thanks again.

Last edited:
college_cook said:
i fried for the first time about 5 days ago, and used vegetable oil... it seemed to turn out rather well. Are peanut and canola better?

Not necessarily, they're just different. If I'm not using olive oil, I'm using peanut.

Vegetable and Canola Oil are relatively interchangeable because they have almost no flavor/aroma and have a high smoking point. Peanut Oil however can change the flavor of the food a bit, as will Olive Oil. Costwise, it's also makes sense to go with a cheaper oil such as Canola or Vegetable since you'll be using such a large quantity of it.

ironchef said:
That's the only type of peanut oil I use. If not for the flavor what's the point? It's cheaper to go with Canola or Vegetable and it has a higher smoking point.

Around here peanut oil is cheap and it has the same high smoke point. One of the reasons it's so popular for fried turkeys.

college_cook said:
i fried for the first time about 5 days ago, and used vegetable oil... it seemed to turn out rather well. Are peanut and canola better?

Peanut oil and canola oil are vegetable oil!

There is no such thing as "vegatable oil," really. It is called that to distiguish it from animal fats. Any oil made from vegetable matter (eg, peanuts, olives, flaxseed, corn) is technically vegetbale oil.

If the bottle says "vegetable oil," look closer and you'll see what it's made from.

Here's a smoke point chart: http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/CollectedInfo/OilSmokePoints.htm

Last edited:
jennyema said:
Peanut oil and canola oil are vegetable oil!

There is no such thing as "vegatable oil," really. It is called that to distiguish it from animal fats. Any oil made from vegetable matter (eg, peanuts, olives, flaxseed, corn) is technically vegetbale oil.

If the bottle says "vegetable oil," look closer and you'll see what it's made from.

Here's a smoke point chart: http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/CollectedInfo/OilSmokePoints.htm

Technically they are, but they are not used in the blend of oils that used to make what is marketed and labeled as "Vegetable Oil". The oils that are used are usually one or more of the following: Corn, Soybean, and Sunflower. These oils are then further refined to produce a higher smoking point and almost virtually no scent or flavor. It's called a "Vegetable Oil" because it's a blend, and it's easier to market it and label it that way.

The bottom line is that everyone will always have their own personal preferrence which types of oil they use, but why not use one that's cheap and relatively healthy for you?

Canola Oil
oil_canola.jpg
Canola is the marketing name for oil that is obtained from rapeseeds. Bright yellow rape crops can be spotted in fields in many parts of Europe and North America. The oil is popular in Japan, China, and India and it is the most widely used oil in Canada. It is also popular in the northern United States and is gaining popularity throughout the remainder of the country.

Canola oil is also known as LEAR oil, or "Low Erucic Acid Rapeseed" oil. It has the lowest level of saturated fat of any edible oil and has one of the highest levels of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. It also contains a high level of omega-3 fatty acids, which is a polyunsaturated fat that helps to decrease the risk of heart disease and lowers blood pressure. Because it is mildly flavored and inexpensively priced, canola oil is an excellent choice for cooking or baking, or as an ingredient for salad dressings.

The only Peanut Oil I use are the ones that are strongly flavored and scented, but I learned something new as well about domestic peanut oils:

Peanut Oil

oil_peanut.jpg
In the United States, the oil obtained from peanuts is almost clear and has a mild flavor due to the refining process that is used. The Chinese version has more of a peanut taste and aroma. Refined peanut oil has a high smoke point so it is an excellent choice for sautéing and frying. It does not absorb or transfer flavors from food during the cooking process. It is also high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which makes it a healthy oil to use for cooking or as a base for dressings. It will keep for long periods if stored in its original container in a cool, dark place. Peanut oil is also known as groundnut oil and it should be remembered that its use in cooking might cause severe illness in people allergic to peanuts.

Vegetable Oil

oil_vegetable.jpg
Vegetable oil usually consists of a highly refined blend of various oils such as soybean, corn, and sunflower or it may consist of only one type of oil. The label may or may not list the types of oil contained within the blend, so the consumer will often never know exactly what they are purchasing. The refining process usually results in oil that has a high smoke point and a color ranging from almost clear to golden yellow, but with very little taste or aroma. This makes vegetable oil a good all-purpose oil for sautéing, frying, and baking, but it should not be used as a condiment.

I couldn't find the exact one I have. So I will give some more info from the label:

100% Pure Sunflower Oil
Low in saturated fat
70% polyunsaturates
19% momounsaturates

CAUTION: Any oil will burn if overheated. To not leave unattended while heating. Smoking Point: 410F (210C).

I don't know if the above caution is a standard warning to all oil or not since it says "any oil will..." rather than saying the current type of oil.

When in doubt - read the label! :wacko:

The "CAUTION: Any oil will burn if overheated. To not leave unattended while heating." is a standard warning. The "Smoking Point: 410F (210C)." seems to be specific for your jug of oil. Since you only need to heat it to about 375-F for french fries (below it's smoke point) it "should" be safe to use - even for deep frying - as long as you use a thermometer and watch the temp.

I don't have a thermometer. The switch only has numbers. :/ Which number should I set it on?

Back
Top Bottom