Water and plastic taste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyberian

Assistant Cook
How do I store water in plastic containers without having the plastic-bottle taste?

I have 3L x 10 jugs filled with boiled-then-cooled water stored. I have it in case of another water crisis in town.

You could try letting the water cool completely before putting into the jugs. When you put the hot water in, it will melt the plastic just enough to get the plastic taste into the water.

I did that. I said: Filled with boiled-then-cooled water. Not: Filled with boiled water, then cooled.

The only way to avoid the platic flavor is to purchase bottles made with the right plastics, or recycle soda-pop bottles.

When you can taste the plastic, you are ingesting chemicals leached from teh plastic. A high-scholl girl did a science project on foods and liquids stored in plastics to see if any harmful chemicals were transfered to the food. They were, and in alarming amounts. The result of her science project was more public awareness that only certain plastics should be used to contain food and liquids to be injeted. The safest of the plastics is PET. It did not contaminate the food with anything. Of course the safest material of all is glass, which is absolutely inert, and cheap, but beakable. For long term storage, glass is best. Following glass, stainless steel, the PET plastic.

There is a triangle found on every plastic container that tells what it is made of. There are several sites on the Web that tell what the plastic is, and its safety.

Do a bit of research on this one. It can affect your health, and the health of your family.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I am using empty oil containers to store the water. Obviously, well-washed. On the bottom, it has a recycle symbol with a '2' in it. I don't how what the 2 symbolizes and couldn't find anything on it. Under the symbol, it says 'DHPE'. I found a page about it.

http://www.designinsite.dk/htmsider/m0002.htm

It doesn't really tell me if it is safe to store water for long terms or not.

Please further help.

cyberian said:
I did that. I said: Filled with boiled-then-cooled water. Not: Filled with boiled water, then cooled.

7.gif
So sorry, I misunderstood.

Back
Top Bottom