ISO Salad Recipe--been searching for years!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
been searching for this recipe for years

hi to the chefs:chef: out there, that'd be all who participate in this forum right?:wacko:

Years ago, while frequenting another food topic discussion room, someone asked for a recipe by Marian Morash from her Victory Garden Cookbook. I have looked for it online, and through every possible avenue I know to persue. This lady that asked for it was going bonkers herself and I love to take on missions such as this but have fallen flat myself.:huh: While cleaning my desk out just now, I came across the 'very old' request and the info I'd written down regarding it. So, as a fluke, I thought maybe someone could help here. I have lost contact with that woman and can't get it to her even if someone here has the 'correct' Victory Garden, as I know there are a few. But the recipe must have been wonderful for her to make such an effort at finding it.

Salad with chicken, couscous, and mandarine orange segments is all I can remember. Some sort of light viniagarette was the topper. Now I know I could muster up a salad with these various ingredients, but don't want to. I'd love to have the real thing.

Thanks for helping me if you can.
Have a terrific day.:-p

A friend of mine has this cookbook and I've asked her if I can borrow it. Are you sure it's in this particular cookbook though? I looked online on Amazon at the Index and didn't see anything that I thought was the salad you are looking for.

I will get the book tomorrow and look through it for you. :)

Lefse, I'm going to move this to the salad forum for you to see if any others recognize the recipe you're searching for. Thanks for tracking down the cookbook, HTC!

htc said:
A friend of mine has this cookbook and I've asked her if I can borrow it. Are you sure it's in this particular cookbook though? I looked online on Amazon at the Index and didn't see anything that I thought was the salad you are looking for.

I will get the book tomorrow and look through it for you. :)

lucky you for being able to even dabble thru it......
the lady mentioned to us, waaaaaaaaay back then, that she thought that particular cookbook was published around 1980-1982, which is what I looked for when searching it out on the Internet. FA'sI however, I did call Powells Bookstore in Portland Oregon and they said they'd keep my name and number down just in case they got a copy, that's been about 4 years ago and so far, no call from them. I'd purchase it used if I got the chance.......

LEFS, I have the cookbook in hand, but so far it's hard to track your recipe. She's got the recipes grouped by vegetable. I've looked in the index for couscous and chicken, no luck. I will try to make time later in the day to look one page at a time. Hope I find what you are lookinig for, because I want to try it too!!

The book was published in 1982, fyi, there are a bunch of used copies on the internet at Amazon . Hopefully this link will work for you http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/039470780X/qid=1117034760/sr=2-1/102-6651317-9253706?v=glance&s=books

My friend loves her copy. The book barely has a cover on it.:LOL: I think I am going to invest in one myself. I love the fact that it's organized by veggie. Really helps when you have too much of one veggie and need to find a recipe.

LEFS, I just looked through the whole cookbook and couldn't find your recipe. Are you sure it's from this book? If you can tell me more about the ingredients, maybe I can find it. It's got a TON of info and recipes. They're listed by veggie.

How about this:

Chicken couscous salad

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried coriander
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. pepper
1-1/2 cups uncooked couscous
2/3 cup slivered dried apricots
1-1/2 cups boiling water
2 (12 oz.) cans chicken, drained
11 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Making the dressing: Mix together the oil, juice, cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, cinnamon and pepper; Blend with a whisk. Set aside till needed.

In large bowl, combine couscous and apricots; add boiling water and cover. Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with fork. Add chicken, oranges and almonds with dressing and carefully toss to coat. Cover and chill if desired. 4-6 servings

htc, you've been so helpful.
believe me, if I knew more, I'd tell you.
I am only going from the things I remembered she'd told us (the chat group) all those years ago.
when I get on a mission, it's hard to stop me.
the first time calling the bookstore of Powells, the lady answering looked briefly through the index as well as I'd mentioned chicken/salad/mandarin orange segments/couscous/viniargarette and she came up empty as well.
the original seeker did seem very confident that this was the correct book that the recipe was in.
maybe I should contact the publisher of Victory Garden Cookbooks and ask them if they'd respond to my request of forwarding a note off to Ms. Morash. couldn't hurt to try.
thanks for all the efforts, maybe someday, I'll get that recipe.

If you do find it, let me know! I am glad I found this cookbook though, it's got wonderful info on veggies. :)

Back
Top Bottom