Argghh!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I had a brilliant idea yesterday. I was going to take my leftover smoked chicken, and make my Chicken Tortilla Soup with it. I've made this soup many times in the past, and thought that the use of smoked chicken would only enhance the recipe. The recipe requires you to saute some ingredients, then add the liquids, and simmer for 30 minutes. Well, I did that. My timer just went off, and when I went in to remove the pot from the heat, I noticed that the burner was bright red, and the pan was spitting steam like there was no tomorrow. I looked at the dial, and yes, it was set to Simmer. I double-checked to make sure that I hadn't twisted the wrong knob (I've done that a few times). I had in fact twisted the CORRECT knob. For some reason, it BOILED for 30 minutes instead of simmering for 30 minutes. GREAT! The entire bottom of the pan is scorched. I'm not worried about the pan itself, but I think the soup is dead. And it smelled SO GOOD when I got it the first boiling point.

GRRRRRRRRRRR
:mad:

oh man allen that sucks !! i'd still give the soup a try. just try not to scoop it up from the bottom too much.

sorry, man.
i burnt my favorite all-clad pot yesterday making pea soup, but the soup came out fine. whew!

Actually think if it as a sign. Sounds like your stove burner is getting ready to go on the fritz. I don't leave a burner on and go out to the store anymore because same thing happened to me and I was lucky too. I got home to a kitchen full of smoke but luckily no fire.

I think the control for the burner might be going. The other burners work fine. This stove is 50 years old, so maybe it's time. I can't really afford a new stove right now, though.

I did pour the soup off and let it cool. It still tastes scorched. I don't know if PeppA or I will eat any of it. I'm more hacked off that I used all that delicious smoked chicken for the soup, and now we probably won't even eat it.

I soaked the pan all night, then gave it a simmer for about 30 minutes this morning while I was doing the dishes. I was able to get all the burnt, crusty stuff off. The bottom is a little discolored, but it's hard to tell from the other times I've accidentally scorched the pan. Those times were when I twisted the wrong dial, or just plain forgot to lower the heat.

AllenMI said:
I think the control for the burner might be going. The other burners work fine. This stove is 50 years old, so maybe it's time. I can't really afford a new stove right now, though.

I did pour the soup off and let it cool. It still tastes scorched. I don't know if PeppA or I will eat any of it. I'm more hacked off that I used all that delicious smoked chicken for the soup, and now we probably won't even eat it.

I soaked the pan all night, then gave it a simmer for about 30 minutes this morning while I was doing the dishes. I was able to get all the burnt, crusty stuff off. The bottom is a little discolored, but it's hard to tell from the other times I've accidentally scorched the pan. Those times were when I twisted the wrong dial, or just plain forgot to lower the heat.

I love your recipe for the chicken tortilla soup, I make it alot. As for your stove, I assume it's electric? Mine is quite old too, and just recently two of the burners (also called elements) went. I found a Sears parts store, not like the retail store, but it's the same company. They sell replacement burners, which can be very expensive, but the woman told me she has some generic ones in stock for about $10-$13 each, all she needed to know was the wattage which is located on the element. Ok, so we tried to find that but our burners were so cruddy, that my husband decided to clean them off, and guess what, they worked after putting them back on the stove. So try to clean the elements up and if that does work , maybe you can find the sears parts department online or in your town. They can ship them to you.

I haven't been using the stove long enough to get it really gunky yet, as I just bought this house in January. I clean the stove fairly regularly. This stove is a little different than your normal stove. I've got a picture posted of it somewhere on the cookware and accessories forum.

Most electric stoves, the elements lift straight up, and easily slip out. The elements on this stove pivot, and are not removeable, I think.

The element itself works, that is, it will get hot and cook/boil, but, it doesn't seem to respond when I want to turn the heat down. A couple times, when it first started doing this, I noticed that about 5 seconds AFTER I turned the knob to "Off", I heard a "click", then the element would begin to fade in color and cool off.

Thanks for the tip about the Sears part store. I may have to contact them.

Boy, luvs, did you luck out. It is SO easy to ruin pea soup. I know you're all experienced in this, but for those who may be reading, when you know you've burned something, quit stirring IMMEDIATELY. Grab a clean pot or bowl (anything the right size you can get your hands on fast) and pour the "loose" contents of the pot/pan into it WITHOUT SCRAPING OR EVEN TOUCHING anything that is sticking to the burned pot. I personally take that one, fill with soap & water and stick outside (get that smell out of your house quick). Now taste what you've poured off to see if it can be salvaged. The less you disturb the burned and sticking to the bottom part of the pan, the more likely you are to be able to rescue the dish. In smoky tasting dishes (say, chili, and maybe your soup), you can get away with more. But burned split pea soup is a dead loss!

I'm sorry that such a new stove is giving you greif. I bought a new Kenmore flat-top electric stove when I moved here (4 years ago) and, while it required me to learn a few new methods, I've been delighted with it, especially with the clean up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom