Teaspoon measurement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vernon

Assistant Cook
Does any one know how many grams are in a teaspoon measurement

Last edited by a moderator:
Teaspoon measurment

Thanks for that I need it for the yeast measurment.
I could not find it on the meaurement conversion chart in the forum

MJ is right, but remember a teaspoon is a volume measurement and not one of weight.

Five grams, about, of water fits in a teaspoon.

But a teaspoon of feathers will weigh less and one of lead will weigh a lot more.

Translating volume measurements to weight can be tricky. Just keep that in mind.

I'm with auntdot - you have to know the weight of a given volume of something before you can start converting between volume and weight for that something. A teaspoon of water and a teaspoon of dry yeast do not weight the same - and a teaspoon of dry yeast does not weigh the same as a teaspoon of cake fresh yeast.

For dry yeast (like in those little foil packets or in glass jars) - 1 teaspoon of yeast weighs about 3.1 g.

1 packet of dry yeast weighs 1/4 oz or 7 grams, and contains about 2 1/4 teaspoons. So, if my math still works, 7 grams divided by 2.25 teaspoons = 3.11 grams per teaspoon.

As for the yeast measurement, 1 tsp of fresh yeast weighs .11 oz the same as active dry yeast and instant yeast. Just convet .11 oz to grams and you get 3.12 gms

it is simple really. Water is the basis of many measurements in the Metric system: 1 ML of water = 1 gram. 1 ML = 1 CC.
U.S. to Metric Weight and Volume Conversions

(metric amounts are nearest equivalents)
Weight Conversions

1/4 ounce
8 grams
1/2 ounce
15 grams
1 ounce
30 grams
4 ounces
115 grams
8 ounces (1/2 pound)
225 grams
16 ounces (1 pound)
450 grams
32 ounces (2 pounds)
900 grams
36 ounces (2 1/4 pounds)
1 kilogram

Volume Conversions

1 teaspoon
5 milliliters
1 tablespoon
15 milliliters
1 fluid ounce (2 tablespoons
30 milliliters
2 fluid ounces (1/4 cup)
60 milliliters
8 fluid ounces (1 cup)
240 milliliters
16 fluid ounces (1 pint)
480 milliliters
32 fluid ounces (1 quart)
950 milliliters (.95 liter)
128 fluid ounces (1 gallon)
3.75 liters

Last edited:
You can't even begin to convert volume to weight, or visa versa, without knowing the unit weight per volume (density) of what your measuring.
Let's just use a simple example - Morton Salt ...

1 teaspoon table salt = about 6 g
1 teaspoon kosher salt = about 4.8 g

so - in both cases you have a teaspoon of salt, but they don't weigh the same.

As for yeast example (which was probably a bad example to use - except to show that a tsp of dry yest didn't weigh the same as a tsp of water) ... dry yeast is only about 7% water, fresh yeast is about 70% water ... so even if they both weighed the same per tsp - there is about 2.4 times as much yeast in a tsp of dry yeast as in fresh yeast. That works out to a 0.25 oz pkg of dry yeast having the same leavening capacity of a 0.6 oz cake of fresh yeast.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom