Recipe Software for Palm Pilots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I have used my palm pilot to keep track of my recipes for a long time now. I enter each recipe as a memo. I alway carry my palm pilot with me so when I am in the super market and I feel like making a dish I have the recipe on hand and can see what I need to buy.

Well my last palm pilot was showing its age so I decided to upgrade. I just purchased the Treo 650 and I love it so much. I am guessing there are some recipe software programs for the palm out there that might be worth looking at, but I don't just want to download them and do trial and error. This is where you guys come in :)

Do any of you currently use any programs like this for your palm? What do they do for you? What do you like or dislike about them? What is the name of the program and where can I find it?

I am sure if there is anything worth having then someone here will know about it since you guys have the pulse on all things food related. Thanks in advance everyone!

I have a HP Ipaq, if you google freeware for ppc, there is a plethura of freeware and shareware for f&b. I have programs for everything from cost and inventory, to a wine list with something like 2000 wines with notes and pairings. I am not sure for the treo though but if you google it, I am sure you will find what you need.

www.pocketpcfreeware.com

I've tried a number of recipe software tools for the computer and for the handheld.

In my experience, word processing formats are the most flexible. Build well organized word processing files of your recipes. It's then easy to search within a file for the recipe you want. It's very portable both into and out of the handheld.

Memos are one way to do this. The old palms had a limit on how many memos there could be. That's not much of a concern now. But the memo format is not convenient on the PC. Too much copy and paste from window to window to keep notes and updates the same between your copies of the recipes.

The current tools let you import and export word processing formatted files directly into your handheld. Any file conversion is handled during syncronization. You can set your system to sync those files every time you dock.

I have one file just for new recipes. As I try them, i weigh whether they are keepers or not. If they're keepers, I copy them right then into the proper word processor file. The new recipe file now has one less recipe in it and another file has a new one. These changes are recorded in my master files at the next synchronization.

When you upgrade to a different handheld or PC, you don't have to worry about whether your recipe software is avaialable on the new system. Word processors are always available for new systems as they are a critical app. Word Processors remain backwards compatible for a few generations so it's easy to keep working just the way you were.

And when you want to convert it all to a printed cookbook, you just choose Print from the menu.

Back
Top Bottom