Canadian Foods (for Icy Mist)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
Thank goodness am glad to see that there are other foods Canadians eat other than Jellied Moose Nose and fried muskrat tails.

Guess I should clear that up a bit, huh? My nephew is marrying a wonderful Canadian lady and she will be moving to Florida after the marriage in Canada. I wanted to make her feel at home at her wedding reception here in Tampa and so did some searching for Canadian appetizers......Jellied Moose Nose.....fried muskrat tails......ARGGGG Even if I had the nerve to make those items, there is no way that I could get a moose or muskrat. Hopefully Robyn won't hold it against me for not supplying an Canadian appetizers. I searched more than once looking for things that would be easy for a plays with food type of cook and so far haven't found anything. :(

Speaking as a Canadian...EWWWWW! Who the heck makes that stuff???

Try smoked salmon type things, or maybe some fresh berry crepes with maple syrup drizzled on them.

[font=verdana, arial]Jellied Moose Nose[/font]

[font=verdana, arial]1 Upper jawbone of a moose
1 Onion; sliced
1 Garlic clove
1 tb Mixed pickling spice
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Pepper
1/4 c Vinegar

Cut the upper jaw bone of the moose just below the eyes.

Place in a large kettle of scalding water and boil for 45 minutes.

Remove and chill in cold water.

Pull out all the hairs - these will have been loosened by the boiling and should come out easily ( like plucking a duck).

Wash thoroughly until no hairs remain.

Place the nose in a kettle and cover with fresh water.

Add onion, garlic, spices and vinegar

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the meat is tender. Let cool overnight in the liquid.

When cool, take the meat out of the broth, and remove and discard the bones and the cartilage. You will have two kinds of meat, white meat from the bulb of the nose, and thin strips of dark meat from along the bones and jowls.

Slice the meat thinly and alternate layers of white and dark meat in a loaf pan.

Reheat the broth to boiling, then pour the broth over the meat in the loaf pan.

Let cool until jelly has set. Slice and serve cold. Just Game Recipes is located at www.justgamerecipes.com
[/font]

Fried Muskrat and Gravy

Put some regular all-purpose flour in a paper bag, add some salt and black pepper, then add the pieces of rat and shake to cover. Let the meat sit for a few minutes while you heat some oil in a skillet to moderately hot, then fry it until crispy brown and well cooked.

When the meat is finished cooking, remove the meat and drain all but 1-2 tablespoons of oil from the pan. Add 1-2 tablespoons of flour to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour begins to brown a bit. Then add one cup of milk and simmer until the gravy is thickened to suit you, salt to taste, and serve.

Serve with some sourdough bisquits, and what more could you want? :)

Most any recipe you would use for rabbit would work just fine. A favorite of mine is to fix the rabbit/rat as above, then take all the meat out of the skillet and put it into a cassarole dish. Add a little of the oil from the skillet, a little water, cover and bake for 2 hours at moderate heat. Remove the top and cook another 30 minutes to crisp it up a bit, and it's done. The meat will fall off the bones, and you will be shy about sharing it with your buddies.
Bob Spencer
bspen@aye.net

Seriously, I think someone is messing with you. Canadians eat the same stuff you do. We don't eat that kind of stuff (or if we do it is not a regular diet).

Where is your DIL to be from? Maybe I could help you figure out some better ideas?

I am going to make this its own thread. That way it won't mess with Ray's Tourtiere.

Last edited:
You might want to check out a post in the Pies' forum I think, for the french canadian meat pie, it's really good at room temperature with a bit of hot mustard for dipping:) I'm pretty sure Canadians eat the same things we do here in the states, but certainly they have specialty items that we dont have here. Maybe ask your nephew what she might like?

The french meat pie is called tourtierre I believe.

Woops sorry Alix, just noticed your post about the tourtierre

Last edited:
I think she lives close to Ontario, not positive about that. But she does not have a French accent but she says abooot for about :) I love listening to her talk.

If I have offended any of our Canadian neighbors, please forgive me for teasing about the recipes I found. I have gotten such fun teasing my nephew's fiancee, that I decided to post here without thinking that I could offend someone, so if you are offended please forgive me.

IcyMist said:
If I have offended any of our Canadian neighbors, please forgive me for teasing about the recipes I found. I have gotten such fun teasing my nephew's fiancee, that I decided to post here without thinking that I could offend someone, so if you are offended please forgive me.

Oh I dont think you've offended anyone. I'm from Maine, so we have lots of Canadians coming here in the summer, and I love their accents. Your right "aboot = about". Accents are funny though. Just like people from Maine say "ca = car" and the same with people from Massachusettes. I'm originally from CT so I dont have a Maine accent, but I like the different accents from all over.

TY for your kind words Amber. :) Afraid that sometimes I can take teasing too far. Boy did I try and get my niece and nephew in trouble when they were kids.....heh, heh. :) Unfortunately for me, their mama knows me too well so I would get in trouble instead of them.

Canadian Girl Here, What do you need for the "Home" feeling?? let me know maybe I can post some real welcomers for you.

CANADIAN girl May be ABle to help....

:chef: Hope I can help, What kind of "home " recipes were you looking for?? We really dont eat that kind of food.. HAHHAH but would be happy to find some originals for ya.
GARNISH

IcyMist said:
[font=verdana, arial]Jellied Moose Nose[/font]

[font=verdana, arial]1 Upper jawbone of a moose
1 Onion; sliced
1 Garlic clove
1 tb Mixed pickling spice
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Pepper
1/4 c Vinegar

Cut the upper jaw bone of the moose just below the eyes.

Place in a large kettle of scalding water and boil for 45 minutes.

Remove and chill in cold water.

Pull out all the hairs - these will have been loosened by the boiling and should come out easily ( like plucking a duck).

Wash thoroughly until no hairs remain.

Place the nose in a kettle and cover with fresh water.

Add onion, garlic, spices and vinegar

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the meat is tender. Let cool overnight in the liquid.

When cool, take the meat out of the broth, and remove and discard the bones and the cartilage. You will have two kinds of meat, white meat from the bulb of the nose, and thin strips of dark meat from along the bones and jowls.

Slice the meat thinly and alternate layers of white and dark meat in a loaf pan.

Reheat the broth to boiling, then pour the broth over the meat in the loaf pan.

Let cool until jelly has set. Slice and serve cold. Just Game Recipes is located at www.justgamerecipes.com
[/font]

Fried Muskrat and Gravy

Put some regular all-purpose flour in a paper bag, add some salt and black pepper, then add the pieces of rat and shake to cover. Let the meat sit for a few minutes while you heat some oil in a skillet to moderately hot, then fry it until crispy brown and well cooked.

When the meat is finished cooking, remove the meat and drain all but 1-2 tablespoons of oil from the pan. Add 1-2 tablespoons of flour to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour begins to brown a bit. Then add one cup of milk and simmer until the gravy is thickened to suit you, salt to taste, and serve.

Serve with some sourdough bisquits, and what more could you want? :)

Most any recipe you would use for rabbit would work just fine. A favorite of mine is to fix the rabbit/rat as above, then take all the meat out of the skillet and put it into a cassarole dish. Add a little of the oil from the skillet, a little water, cover and bake for 2 hours at moderate heat. Remove the top and cook another 30 minutes to crisp it up a bit, and it's done. The meat will fall off the bones, and you will be shy about sharing it with your buddies.
Bob Spencer
bspen@aye.net

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!! kitchenelf posted a funny post about jellied moose nose before.

I suppose recipes like the jellied moose are sort of like all the jokes we Scots have to put up with re haggis! No truth in them, but they make people smile. :cool:

LOL thanks all, appreciate the offers to help. Am looking for appetizers that Robyn may be familiar with. Not trying to outdo her family and friends, just hoping to help her get over the home sick, what have I done feeling she will probably have after leaving home for another country. We all already love her and have from the day we met her and we want to make her feel welcome and a part of the family as quickly as possible. Any ideas would sure be welcome. :)

Ishbel said:
I suppose recipes like the jellied moose are sort of like all the jokes we Scots have to put up with re haggis! No truth in them, but they make people smile. :cool:

i'd kind of like to try haggis, but i heard you can't get lungs here in the US. i've heard it's actually pretty delicious.

luvs_food said:
i'd kind of like to try haggis, but i heard you can't get lungs here in the US. i've heard it's actually pretty delicious.

Luvs_food
American friends who are very into their 'Scots heritage' tell me that they can get US-made haggis, but that much of that stuff is tinned.... I tried it once whilst in the US... that is seriously HORRID stuff!

Real haggis is very tasty. During the winter, we eat it probably once a fortnight. But I notice in hotels that it is a staple for breakfast - I'm sure it's there just so the tourists can say they've 'tried' it! We certainly don't eat it for breakfast in my family :) Mind you, I can't STAND black pudding (blood sausage) - even MY strong disposition falters sometimes....

thanks for the heads up! i won't be buying any of the canned stuff if it's that ucky!
my Grandma, rest her soul, used to love blood sausage.:)

alix, c'mon, we all know you have tried moose nose!!! lol.

i think i saw a recipe for flambe' hockey pucks. (apparently it was a goalie's recipe...:rolleyes: ). sometimes it's tough to swallow that rubber pill.

oh, and forget about trying to find recipes for goose. :(

I wasn't offended at all. I just wanted to be sure you realized that those things were FAR from typical fare. You wouldn't BELIEVE some of the things I have had people tell me that Canadians do. Sorry if I led you to believe I was annoyed, I wasn't.

Since garnish is from Eastern Canada I think she will likely have better ideas than I will. I am from out West. I'll still be chiming in though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom