Cilantro!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
On the recent Parsley subject, we discussed and bemoaned the tendency for home-grown cilantro (chinese parsley, coriander) to bolt: flower and go to seed too quickly.

Minutes ago I made a personal discovery that may change some minds about that.

My cilantro has been in bloom for several weeks now. So seeds are forming. When BB sized and ripe, they are the spice, Coriander. With their own unique flavor, no hint of the cilantro flavor.

But:

Out of curiosity, I picked one small green seed and chomped it. WOW! The really intnese cilantro flavor actually took my breath away. Unbellievable! What a potential as a flavor source in soups and stews, or ??

Oldcoot
In Europe the whole plant, seeds, leaves etc is known as coriander. This is why I always try to make sure I know what part of the plant an American recipe is using!

after looking at one of my scottish aunt's cookbooks, i noticed that the ingredients are distinguished as coriander leaf or just coriander for the green leafy part, and coriander seed.

oldcoot, I love popping those little packets of flavor in my mouth. The literally explode with flavor. once my cilantro does this I pick a few and eat them as is every time I am in the garden.

jenny, if I remember correctly from my Master Gardener days, the way to keep bolting in check to to keep cutting any plant back that's getting out of control.

mudbug said:
jenny, if I remember correctly from my Master Gardener days, the way to keep bolting in check to to keep cutting any plant back that's getting out of control.

The middle part that starts shooting up, I presume?

The sides usually are pretty normal and bushy

yep. let me know what happens. I don't grow herbs or veggies, but I've been known to do a number on unruly lamb's ears and ornamental grasses.

the only way to prevent bolt is to pinch them back, but that only works for a little while. those suckers are gonna bolt to seed when it's time, and the weather is right. floating row cover will help slow it down too by blocking direct sun.

Growing cilantro in partial shade will somewhat retard the tendency to bloom (bolt), as will the above suggestion to pinch out the growing tip on the central stem that develops. Age, too, is a factor in the bloom cycle, so it will occur in spite of efforts.

Sequential planting is the more sure way of maintaining a supply.

oldcoot said:
Growing cilantro in partial shade will somewhat retard the tendency to bloom (bolt), as will the above suggestion to pinch out the growing tip on the central stem that develops. Age, too, is a factor in the bloom cycle, so it will occur in spite of efforts.

Sequential planting is the more sure way of maintaining a supply.

TNX for the tips!

After the bolting I use the sequential Stop and Shop method :-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom