Sell me on Bleu Cheese dressing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lugaru

Sous Chef
Ok... here's my deal. I like Bleu cheese but it's usually a little too pungent for me so I tend to use very small amounts. Bleu Cheese dressings are in that sense ideal for me... since it is a creamy dressing with chunks of bleu cheese making a milder experience.

BUT my experience has been almost consistently nasty. While I've gotten amazing stuff at some pizza places with buffalo tenders or pizza (a creamy, bleu cheese tasting sauce with HUGE chunks in it) everything I've ever bought from a store tastes nasty, kinda like miracle whip with a bit of bitterness to it... it's usually just pungent and unpleasant and dosent even remind me much of bleu cheese.

So can any one recomend me a dressing that captures the "pure" flavor without being a nasty, weird salad dressing? The only time I've ever got one I enjoyed that I can remember was some organic brand at trader joes or whole foods but I cant remember which one it was (it was years ago).

Lugaru:

You could try to make your own. Here's a basic recipe.

2/3 C Mayonnaise
1/3 C Sour Cream
1/3 C Blue Cheese , crumbled

Combine the mayonnaise, the sour cream and the blue cheese in a bowl.

You can adjust the flavor with a touch of dry mustard and/or lemon juice.

The cheese you choose will also make a difference. There are loads of different bleus out there including those from the US, Italy and France.

I agree with Andy. Make your own.

Choose a blue cheese with a mild flavor. Danish blues are good for salad dressings. My favorite is Maytag blue, from Iowa. It has a very nice, gently assertive taste without being too strong.

:) I am not crazy about strong blue cheese either but I like the milder gerrman made blue cheese called Carembolza I hope I spelled it right.

Thanks a million guys... I hadent thought of making my own dressing with it, which seeing the ingredients I already trust it a LOT more than playing rhoulette with brands. While this is something I dont really put on salads or so on I love blue cheese dressing with certain sandwiches or pizza so mixing up small batches "as needed" makes great sense. Thanks again!

I put the bleu cheese in the salad and use a vinagrette dressing - it lowers the fat content quite a bit and keeps my dh from piling on the dressing and also has a nice taste without overpowering it.

licia said:
I put the bleu cheese in the salad and use a vinagrette dressing - it lowers the fat content quite a bit and keeps my dh from piling on the dressing and also has a nice taste without overpowering it.

A friend of mine does a salad that's basically greens of course but it's got crumbled bleu cheese, italian dressing and craizins (dried cranberries). Im usually not much for "strong" tasting things but everything complements eachother so nicely in that salad.

i created a delicious recipe for bleu cheese dressing. but i have to find it first, and then i'll post it.

Back
Top Bottom