What can be done to round steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I can't afford top $$ steaks with 4 people around all the time.
So, is there anything that I can do to round steak that is good but not fattening? I don't want the same boring salt and pepper. That is getting old:LOL:

Oh yeah... even the worse beef when sliced across the grain can seem tender and delicious. How about "Bisteq ranchero" or rancher's beef? Make thin slices of beef like you would for fajitas, sautee them in the frying pan with a finely diced onion, 2 jalapenos (substitute for a bell pepper or something if your kids are sensitive to heat) and a couple of diced tomatos. Once it's looking good put the lid on and lower the heat leating it simmer for 10 minutes. Usually this will be served with a pile of warm corn tortillas and some beans, especially if you get it at some lunch place in Mexico.

We've made this one many times. Very tasty.:chef:

Swiss Steak

Round steak, cut into serving sized pieces
Flour (for dredging)
1 16 oz. bottle of French dressing
one large or 2 medium yellow onions, sliced and separated into rings

Dredge the steaks with flour, pound with tenderizing hammer or whatever you normally use to break up some of the connective tissues. I have a bladed tenderizer that actually pokes through the meat to cut the strings. In a frying pan on medium heat, brown the meat on both sides in 1/2 cup of the French dressing. Reduce heat, add onions, pour rest of dressing over meat and onion, cover and simmer slowly for 2 hours or until tender.

If you have a good dependable range, this is easy, but if not, then check occasionally to see that it isn't cooking too fast and burning. Our old range had no understanding of the word "simmer", so we had to watch it carefully. Our new Frigidaire glasstop will simmer this for 2 hours with no problems. This can be made with fat free French, but I still recommend adding some oil for the browning step.

Marinate steak overnight in lime juice and lime zest (this tenderizes the beef A LOT), a bit of cinnamon and cayenne and black pepper. Grill or saute but leave still pink in center, slice thin. On the side, grill or saute a sweet onion and various sliced bell peppers in some chile oil if you have it (reg. olive oil if not). Perfect fajitas every time. Should work great even with cheaper cuts of meat (especially if you slice it thin - you won't notice it's a little chewy!).

(I usually also do chicken simultaneously the same as above to offer a choice). Serve with tortillas, some good mexican cheese, salsa and home-made guacamole, and maybe a side dish of beans.

Enjoy,
Tim

You know what is good, is chicken fried steak & eggs. I make it all the time. Just cut the round into thin steaks, pound them out thin, dredge in flour, fry on med hi heat in a hot pan, and use the leftover oil w/ some flour, make a gravy, after frying your hash browns or potatoes, make some eggs while the gravy is cooking, and make sure your biscuits or bread is almost done, great comfort food!!! B.

Back
Top Bottom