New York Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you guys have a grill you could use?

Whether or not you marinade it, make sure to use good spices, such as garlic, or onion, etc...just make sure you don't salt it! Salt should be used at the end of cooking, as it draws the moisture out of your cut of meat on the grill.

If you don't have a grill to use, I'd pop it in the broiler to cook with seasonings and no marinade.

Rainee always has a ton of great ideas for steak. Check out the forum for marinades, and you may get something...

Serve the peppered steak with some sauted onions and peppers. Add in a hot pepper for an extra kick of flavor and heat.

Now if you are really adventourous you can put the onions and peppers on the steak with some of your favorite cheese and cook it.

Last edited:
jkath said:
Just remember - no butter in the broiler....unless you want to train to be a firefighter...
yes! no butter in the broiler! my boyfriend started a little fire doing that. i put it out in just a couple seconds with baking soda, but it was kinda scary.

By New York Steak, I assume you mean a New York Strip Steak. This is a fairly tender cut, usually about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. It is more flavorful than is the tenderloin. It can be prepared in numerous ways. The easiest is to sear it in a dry, heavy cast-iron pan for about 2 to 3 minutes per side for rare, and depending on the thickness. And I have never dried out a steak from salting it before cooking. Meat is dried out by overcooking, period.

Jkath, I heard the same thing about salt drying out meat and followed the advise religeously for years. Then, one day I got lazy or careless and salted the meat before cooking. It came out just fine. So I did some experimenting. You know me :rolleyes: . It made sense to me that salting beforehand wouldn't dry out meat. After all, packing a Prime Rib roast in a salt crust before roasting is a classic method for preparing that cut. And meat tenderizers have salt in them as well. The results of my experimentation, in the oven, in the pan, and on the grill were the same. Salt as is applied for seasoning purposes draw out so little moisture as to be negligible.

Now it is true that packing raw meat in salt is a method for drawing the blood, hence making it kosher. But the meat is left in the salt for a good deal of time. I imagine packing the meat in sand would do the same thing. Salt is used as it is a preservative and inhibits bacterial and other micro-oranizm growth. It also flavors the meat. Sand would just make it gritty, and you'd get that nasty rancid flavor from spoiled meat :sick: .

Enough foolishness. Other ways to successfully prepare this cut are to directly broil it, again using a dry, or just lightly oiled broiling pan, about 2 inches under the heat source, for about three minutes per side. You can chop the steak into bite-sized pieces and use it in Shish Kabob, or bake it on top of rice for a great pilaf (sear the steak in your cast-iron pan before baking it. What! You don't have a cast iron pan! They're cheap and almost a necesity in all kitchens, IMHO.). You can dice and lightly pan fry with a touch of liquid smoke, some cilantro, diced onion, lime juice, and diced green pepper to make Carne Asada Burrito filling that's amazing.

Just use your imagination. You'll be surprized how many things you can come up with.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom