Tomato Eggplant Bake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah

Head Chef
INGREDIENTS:

1 medium eggplant(1 pound),peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices.
salt to taste
1 large tomato,sliced
1 medium onion,sliced
6 tbsp butter,melted,divided
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 c dry bread crumbs
4 slices mozzarella cheese,cut into thirds
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese

place eggplant slices in a colander over a plate.Sprinkle with salt,toss,let stand 30 minutes.Rinse and drain well.

Layer the eggplant,tomato and onion in a lightly greased 13 into9 into 2 in. baking dish.Drizzle with 4 tbsp butter,sprinkle with basil.Cover and bake at 450 for 20 minutes.

Toss the bread crumbs and remaining butter.Arrange mozzarella cheese over the vegetables,sprinkle with crumb mixture and parmesan cheese.Bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.

Sarah, is the salting to decrease the amount of moisture in the eggplant? And, is it not too salty after the baking?
My mom used to have a similar salting method for her sweet cucumber salad.

its just to make the eggplant a little bit salty,but since you rinse and drain it,so its just right,not too salty...the only other salty thing in the recipe is parmesan,and you r not adding anymore salt to any other thing,so its balanced.

jkath said:
Sarah, is the salting to decrease the amount of moisture in the eggplant? And, is it not too salty after the baking?
My mom used to have a similar salting method for her sweet cucumber salad.
jkath, I know many salt the eggplant to make it less bitter..I always try to find a very firm blemish free eggplant..When I cut into it, if there are many seeds, I sometimes salt it and let it stand, but, most of the time I use as is..I've never really had a bitter eggplant.
kadesma:)

I make something very similar to your eggplant dish Sarah, only I dont use butter or onion, but I do add hard salami (fatty of course but it certainly is tasty). So its just the breaded and fried or baked eggplant, sliced tomatoes, salami, and mozzarella. Some romano or parmesan cheese is also good in this. I used italian seasoned bread crumbs. Yesterday I made this same dish minus the salami and it was just as good.

Back
Top Bottom