I'm going on vacation - Yay!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paint

Senior Cook
I will be sunning myself by a pool in Santa Fe and drinking lots of Sangria next week....see you all when I get back!

Anyone recommend any great restaurants down there?

Paint.

Ooohh, I forgot to tell you what I was taking with me...my Le Creuset Dutch oven and my Circulon Pasta Pot are both coming on vacation with me....I decided that with those 2 items I can cook just about anything in our little Casita, LOL!!!
Paint.

Darn and double-darn it!!!! I swear that I tried and tried to find room for my Le Creuset and my pasta pot when I was packing tonight, but the car is just too full, there is no room. The kids refused my suggestion that they wear them as hats, so I would have to sacrifice either one of the kids or my sangria to make room. It would probably be illegal to leave the kids home alone, and I just couldn't bring myself to take the 5-litre box of Sangria out.....so I'm stuck with whatever pots & pans I find in the Casita :(. It's a good job I'm taking home-made sauces that I've frozen, so I only have to reheat them, or I'd be really mad!! Grrrrrrrr.

Paint.

Have a wonderful time, Paint. (Just don't leave the kids home with the 5 litres of Sangria .) Only on this site would we think of taking a vacation & bringing our cookware along :LOL:

Dont give up yet. There has got to be a way. Could you pack your shirts or something IN the LC and then pack that in the space the shirts took up?

oh my, oh my. I grew up in Santa Fe, we just moved away a little over 2 years ago. I suppose as far as restaurants go, it really depends on what you are looking for. Santa Fe has so many great restaurants. If you are looking for the best breakfast burrito, Tia Sophias is by far the best. It's on San Fransisco st, right down the road from the plaza. The same people own Tomasita's, which is a pretty famous restaurant but has over a 2 hour wait in the summer and personally I think there are better places to eat. Cafe Pasqual's for dinner is a MUST, make sure you make a reservation plenty of time ahead! Get the broiled brie appetizer that comes with a roasted head of garlic and two types of salsa. mmm. If you want something fancy, Canyon rd has a lot of good restaurants, Geronimos being one of them. Chocolate Maven has good lunch and good dessert, as well as Carlos' Gospel Cafe (get there early for lemon meringue pie). El Parasol has the best tacos. Mu Du Noodles and Jinja have great asian food (Mu Du has a divine orange blossom custard). Bert's La Taqueria has great tacos and is more upscale than El Parasol, which is just a basically a stand on Cerrillos rd, Bert's is a full service. There's also this place close to the plaza called the shed, which is pretty popular with the tourists but believe it or not about 2 miles away is La Choza (ironically enough translates into english as the shed) which has the same food and menu but is cheaper and more of the locals go there. Most of these restaurants are if you want local food (aka chile) I tried to limit myself to that but I can go into good italian places, pizza, etc if you need more suggestions. My family is making a trip home in September to peel green chile and visit our relatives, all this restuarant talk makes me excited. Where are you staying? I hope this is helpful and hopefully not too over the top. SF has so many good restaurants that you can pretty much just walk into any place that looks good and you will have a happy belly but these are our personal favs. Have fun, and say hello to those beautiful New Mexican skies for me.

-Brooke

thanks Brooke,

We looked at Julians one evening when we fancied Italian - but we were very dusty and roadworn as we'd been traipsing through town all day, and our kids were so ice-cream stained and dishevelled that we couldn't bring ourselves to take them into such a 'posh' restaurant LOL! We ended up going to Andiamo's, which was a good choice, they had excellent food and were very kid-friendly too. I had roasted polenta with a rosemary sauce for starters, then pork escalopes with a mustard-balsamic sauce for my entree. I would have loved to have tried Geronimo's if it had been just hubby and I, but unfortunately our kids have no appreciation of good food and we were loathe to pay $$$ for an adult entree for them that they would not eat :( Maybe next time.....

We stayed at Rancho Jacona casitas in Jaconita - it was truly beautiful and I wish we could have stayed longer....

Paint.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom