The Dahl was a huge success!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
:chef: A freind of mine recently graduated with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Robotics Control Systems. He worked with our department while going to school. He was with us for about 7 years. Richard was from India and loves Indian food. Our department had a pot luck on his last day. I decided to make Dahl, which he said was one of his favorite dishes while growing up in Inda. I'd never made it before, and only had tasted one variety. If you look back a while, you will find another thread opened by myself on the topic. I got great reponses for many. I used that info, coupled with what looked like a very good version that included garam masala, and coconut milk. I thought it tasted great. RIchard told me it was perfect. Talk about making my day. He absolutely loved it.

I made the Dahl specifically for him. I didn't care if anyone else would even try it. People around these parts aren't very adventurous. To my surprise, most everyone tried it and really liked it. What more can a guy ask for in life? :mrgreen:

I want to thank everyone who responded. You are all great around here. I love it when I can help, when I can make someone elses life just a little bit better, even for a thing as simple as a pot-luck.

In return, Richard gave to me a jar of Tandory Paste, a couple of different Indian Rice seasoning mixes, and a box Galum Jalub (or is that Jalum Galub, sorry, I'm not home with the box right now to see the name), a flour, powdered milk, and baking powder mixture that is made into little round doughnuts, like doughnut wholes, deep-fried, and dipped in simple syrup for a couple minutes. Good stuff and easy to duplicate.

Thursday was a good day.

If you want, I can post the recipe maybe tomorrow night.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed,

please post, it sounds interesting and I'm looking to be a little more adventursome... I'ts nice to hear that your friend was so appriciative..I know it makes you feel good. Thank you for sharing your happy day.
kadesma:)

So glad your dish was a success. And please do share the recipe!

Most of my Indian recipes come from the 'net, maybe it's time I invest in a good book.

:heart:
Z

Ok-fine. Here's the recipe; I doubled it for the group I was serving.

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups red lentils
3 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 cup coconut milk

DIRECTIONS:

Rinse lentils.
In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil and stir in salt, lentils, turmeric and chili powder. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Test the lentels for tenderness. Cook longer ifnecessary in ten minute intervals, testing after each interval. Add more water if needed.
Melt the butter and saute the onions in a small skillet. Add the mustard seeds and onion. stir frequently and cook until onions are transparent. Mix the cooked onions and mustard seed to the lentels. Stir in garam masala and coconut milk. Use a hand blender to make it creamy smooth. Serve over rice, or noodles, or serve as a soup with a dolop of sour cream placed in the middle. Sliced hard-boiled eggs add elegance and ballance to this dish when served as a soup.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
I love it when I can help, when I can make someone elses life just a little bit better, even for a thing as simple as a pot-luck.

You do this just about every time you show up here, Goodweed. Blessings on you!

mmmm Thank you! A quick trip to the store for some coconut milk and this will be my dinner tonight.

Thanks again. =)

Z

Mudbug; Everyone who participates on this site does the same thing. That's what makes it a great place to be. The only better place to feel such a spirit of freindship and comraderie is in Church, and there you get other spiritual fulfillment as well.

Zereh; You are more than welcome. I hope it turns out great for you.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thank you Goodweed,

this will be a first for me..I'm looking forward to a new adventure. Thanks for posting.
kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom