Olive Garden's Alfredo Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah

Head Chef
INGREDIENTS:

1/2 C(1 STICK) butter
2 cups heavy cream
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1 12- ounce box fettuccine pasta(or your choice of pasta)
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese

Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
Add the cream,garlic powder,and pepper and simmer for 10 10 12 minutes or until thick.
At the same time bring 4 to 6 quarts of water to a boil and add the pasta.
When the Alfredo sauce has reached yur desired consistency,stir in the parmesan cheese.
When the pasta is cooked,drain it.Serve the pasta on plates with alfredo sauce poured over the top.

That's the actual Olive garden Alfredo? B/c I love their Alfredo, and have always been curious about it. I'd go make some right now, but my g/f and I had an mad cooking weekend, all Italian dishes, so I'm a bit burnt out after Stuffed Shells, Lasagna, Homemade Raviolis, stuffed mushrooms, and Pesto Linguine. I'll definitely save that for later though. Thanks

Thanks Sarah. While passing by the tv this weekend, I saw some being plated and thought I'd check recipes this week.

well i got this book from the library,that features "top secret restaurant recipes",this and the other recipe i posted "IHOP Banana nut pancakes" are from that book.I'm not sure if its the exact same recipe,but it looked like it was,we'll have to try and see!:)

Funny that you would submit this recipe for Alfredo Pasta, as last evening, my husband and I had dinner at an Applebee's restaurant and I ordered their Alfredo/Shrimp/Broccoli dinner dish. I had never tried it before. The combination was pretty good so, that's my addition to your Alfredo Pasta - also toss some cooked shrimp and broccoli into the pasta and Alfredo sauce mix. With the shrimp and broccoli added, you have a complete one dish meal, aside from possibly salad and rolls or bread and, of course, let's not forget some decadent dessert.
:)

I tried this recipe but never was able to get the sauce to thicken. I eventually added double the parm. cheese in an attempt to thicken it but that didn't work either.

The only variations from the recipe were that my butter was unsalted ( i added my own salt manually) and my cream was labeled "heavy whipping cream" instead of just "heavy cream".

I tried this recipe last week, with the shrimp and broccoli, as my husband and I had it at Applebees. My only variation was that I also sauteed some garlic to add to the sauce. Anyhow, it was delicious, but we still had leftovers. Subsequently, I nuked it briefly the next day in the microwave briefly, and it does not reheat well. The sauce loses it's texture/consistency and was not as good. Next time, I will halve the recipe so as to have just enough for one meal for two, unless preparing for guests. Lots of times, I wish recipes would state "serves" whatever the amount of people is to be, so the chef would know to adjust recipe for specific number of people being served.

Mr_Dove said:
I tried this recipe but never was able to get the sauce to thicken. I eventually added double the parm. cheese in an attempt to thicken it but that didn't work either.

The only variations from the recipe were that my butter was unsalted ( i added my own salt manually) and my cream was labeled "heavy whipping cream" instead of just "heavy cream".

Add some cream cheese to it. Try my Alfredo recipe here in the sauce section of this forum.

This is a fairly standard recipe for Alfredo. I'd use fresh garlic in place of the powder.

Heavy whipping cream and heavy cream are essentially the same. Just try letting it cook a little longer next time.

Keep in mind that Alfredo sauce will never reheat well. The butter will seperate, leaving it kind of greasy. I agree with Andy - never use garlic powder in alfredo - use the real thing! (I roast mine first for a richer flavor).
If I wanted to thicken it, I'd add Wondra. I love that stuff. If you haven't seen it, it's in a blue canister (about the size of that fake parm stuff Kraft sells). It is flour, but it will not make any lumps in your sauces or gravies. It only thickens.

My favorite thing at Olive Garden: I order the cheese ravioli and ask them to put the Alfredo sauce on it, instead of marinara. When they serve it, I make sure they drench it in the freshly grated romano. Ahhhhhhhh! Heart-attack on a plate. Yum!

sarah said:
well i got this book from the library,that features "top secret restaurant recipes",this and the other recipe i posted "IHOP Banana nut pancakes" are from that book.I'm not sure if its the exact same recipe,but it looked like it was,we'll have to try and see!:)

There are 100s of copycat recipes on the web. Let us know if you give them a try.

mish said:
There are 100s of copycat recipes on the web. Let us know if you give them a try.

you mean i'm supposed to post them only if i've tried them?:huh:

If you want it to taste EXACTLY like Olive Garden's sauce, you will have to put it in a plastic bag, freeze it, store it for three months, ship it across country, thaw it out, and then nuke it in your microwave.

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those."

Open your heart and show us your recipe for alfredo.

alright guys,90% of the recipes i post on the forum are the ones i've tried myself,this recipe just caught my eye and i posted it,if its bothering some of you so much,just dont try it or better yet,remove this post!!! so everyone can be happy!:ohmy: i know a lot of members post scores of recipes everyday which i'm sure they havent tried all of them,i post such a recipe only once in a while.....anyways,i guess someone should just remove this post...

Sarah, I feel as you do. I couldn't have said it better myself. I asked because I've never tried a copycat recipe, & wondered if someone had, if they enjoyed it; & if it was as close to the original as they recalled. I mentioned there are 100s on line, so you could look at them on line, rather than going to the library. (I'll try to find a link if you like.)

Some of the recipes I've posted & tried (some not - for the reasons you mentioned). Some people attacked the recipe or challenged me. It hurt my feelings to the point where I was reluctant to post anything & wish I hadn't bothered to share. So far, only one person has shared their recipe rather than tell you what they would do differently. I'd better stop now, before I go any further re people's "comments" etc. on submitted recipes.

Sara and Mish,

my feelings on posted recipes? Well if someone is thoughtful and kind enough to post a tnt or a recipe they haven't even tried but thought we might enjoy..Well they deserve a big thank you. It takes time to post and they must do it to share with us. To me that is what this board is about. Sharing, and taking the time to say thank you to someone who goes out of their way to put up a recipe just for you and being a friend and having fun. So, keep posting both of you..I enjoy all you put up:)
kadesma:)

kadesma said:
Sara and Mish,

my feelings on posted recipes? Well if someone is thoughtful and kind enough to post a tnt or a recipe they haven't even tried but thought we might enjoy..Well they deserve a big thank you. It takes time to post and they must do it to share with us. To me that is what this board is about. Sharing, and taking the time to say thank you to someone who goes out of their way to put up a recipe just for you and being a friend and having fun. So, keep posting both of you..I enjoy all you put up:)
kadesma:)

Thank you, kadesma! As Sarah, said, if you want to try it, try it, if you don't want to try it, don't try it. When I take the time to share a recipe & someone says, "What do you serve it with," & comments about how it won't be good reheated, have to wonder. A simple thank you, I'd like to try that, would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom