Don't laugh, used fondant for the first time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Here are some pictures of a box cake I made and decorated with a box of Wilton Fondant. I have never used this product and didn't want to spend my time on the cake, I used yellow box cake mix, so I could focus on learning to use fondant. It was really fun. As you can see, I still have A LOT to learn. heheh:ROFLMAO: I think the rose may have been a little too big. And it's not positioned exactly in the center...come to think of it, I should have positioned it in the corner or something...

htc,it looks lovely...If you saw they way it would have turned out if I'd done it, you'd have a real knee slapper:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
kadesma

It's a cooked confection made of sugar, water and cream of tartar. After cooking, it has to be beaten and kneaded.

It is used to make a "frosting" for cakes. It can also be used to make cake decorations, etc.

I don't know if I would have liked the taste. Might have been too sweet for me. I followed Wilton's buttercream frosting and man did THAT taste sweet. The box of fondant says to put a thin layer of frosting on then put the rolled fondant on. Can I use whipped cream frosting instead of buttercream? So it's not as sweet? I was afraid it wouldn't hold properly...

htc, what a great first try with fondant! I need to practice with it too--it's just something I don't get around to enough. Did you like the Wilton pre-made fondant?

I'd stick to using the buttercream under the fondant. Whipped cream contains too much moisture and would be absorbed into the cake and the fondant. Buttercream acts as a better glue. I agree, Wilton's recipe is really sweet! Like you said, though, you don't need much at all--a crumb coat is sufficient.

PA, I really liked the premade fondant. Though I don't have anything to compare it to since I've never made sugar paste (?). I wonder if using fonant is the same as using marzipan...if I can shape it into little things.

Thanks for the advice with the frosting. hehehe. I used the whole recipe of frosting on one cake. yikes! It was because I was lazy to cut and level off my cake, so I needed the frosting to make it even. :LOL: I also figured the person who the cake is going to loves sweet, so that doesn't hurt. I have left over fondant that I am going to use to practice making the smaller roses. This was really fun to do and I will DEFINITELY use fondant again.

I didn't realize you could buy fonant in a mix. How cool!
I'm going to look for some of it and try it out.

Htc... why would we laugh at your cake? It's very very pretty!

( hubby and I were both born in Oregon. It's still our HOME and way from home.
We'll be heading down there again in a few weeks. Can't wait!!. All our family and lots of our friends are still living there. What area are you in? We'll be in the the St. Helens to Portland to Salem areas for sure and maybe camping in the farther corners of the state too. We haven't made a firm set of plans yet.)

pds, the fondant is already made and ready to roll, not a mix. To get the pink, I just added a little food coloring. As for the laughing, I thought that the rose looked a little dorky because it's HUGE. I was trying to go for petite and dainty, like at the bakery. :LOL: I will just keep trying.

I am in the Portland area as well. How long has it been since you've been in this area? If it's been a while, you need to definitely go check out a new grocery store called New Seasons. It's my favorite place to shop. It's like a Whole Foods, but locally owned. Here's a link http://www.newseasonsmarket.com/, I prefer the Concordia location because I think it might be the biggest one. If you like Asian food, pm me and I'll send you a couple suggestions of places to eat!

Isn't Portland a wonderful town??

I moved to Washington when I was 8 with my mom... but, the rest of my family is still in St. Helens. Paul has lived in the Seattle area for about 15 years and his family is all in Salem. We drive down to visit as often as poss. Once in awhile we make a secret visit so that we can spend all our time in Portland hiding out. FRY'S is the best book store in the world. I think we could spend days just looking around there. The waterfront is beautiful. We love sitting and watching the kids play in the fountain and Saturday market is a blast. People in Oregon seem to be more polite and easy going than here in Seattle.

Thanks for the heads up on the grocery store. I'm not sure if we'll make it there this trip or not. So far the plan is to head down to Salem on the 7th, spend the night at Paul's parents place and in the morning head to Eugene for the Oregon country fair with Bil and Sil. Two days there and then a week or so camping. Fish lake and maybe a few days up on Steen's Mountain. It is so beautiful there and so dang remote. No people!! Yippeee!!! Might head Eastern Washington or Montana after that. Who knows?

Asian food is great!!! And I'm always looking for good places to eat.

Sounds like you'll have so much fun! I thought FRYS was an electronics store w/ just a few books? I usually go to Powells, a local favorite spot. Lot of new Barnes and Nobles popping up everywhere.

As for Asian food:
Vietnamese: Pho Oregon or Thai Binh
Chinese Noodle Soup: Good Taste (whole in the wall, looks scary, but is got best wonton noodle soup in town!)
Chinese family style: Golden (or Gold) Coin or Wong King Seafood. Gold coin is a little better but not as nice looking as Wong King.

Have a safe drive!!

LOLOLOL! Yep, Fry's is the eletronics store! And Powells is the book store! Hubby is a "puter" nerd and we spend time at Fry's too. No sales tax is a good thing.

I think it looks great! My first try, I had died it pink for a heart shaped cake for hubby. What a joke it turned out to be!:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom