What are your favorite spices and herbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What are your favorite spices and herbs?

• Thyme, rosemary, and basil

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Cumin, chile powder, cayenne pepper, and red pepper

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Salt and pepper

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Garlic, onion, and chives

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Dill weed and seed, fennel seed, celery seed, and bay leaves

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Sage, savory, tarragon, and oregano

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • curry powder, saffron, cardamon

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Ginger, horseradish, and sesame seed

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

SierraCook

Master Chef
What kind of spices and herbs do you like to use? I know that most of us use a variety of spices and herbs, but also have favorite spices according to our or our families tastes and the type of food we like to cook. My favorite herbs are rosemary, thyme, and basil. My favorite spices are cumin and chile powder.

Last edited:
i went with garlic onion and chives
then i chose the cinnamon nutmeg
cloves and allspice. i can vote for
more than one right ???

I have few dislikes in herbs and spices, I'm not fond of tarragon and a little fennel goes a long way, curry, don't know but the smell bothers me a little, but, I think I need to try it. I love rosemary, marjoram,basil thyme,and use them often, I could not cook without salt and pepper. The same goes for garlic, onion and chives. I grow my chives, thyme, rosemary basil, chives and parsley as well as some red onions this year. So, I suppose I'm pretty much in the middle here..MY main thing is that I prefer fresh to dry, unless it's impossible to obtain fresh.

kadesma:)

Oh man, please don't make me decide :blink:

For herbs, the ones I use the most are Thyme, Tarragon, and Sage. For spices, cumin, chile powder, cinnamon, cloves, and who knows what else. And you can't forget the essential salt & pepper.

I'm growing Thyme, Sage, Basil, Chives, and either Lavender or Tarragon (not sure which it is yet) this year. I just took PeppA out today and let her sniff the herbs. I think I converted her over to fresh :ROFLMAO:

i would vote for them all. each has their own place in different dishes, so i don't think i could choose one group.

Thyme is my favorite in here. I don't know why but I can't put salt in spice list. I think because we always use it in almost every meal and it is like a must to use.

If I HAD to choose from these groups, I'd have to go with salt and pepper (as much as I love garlic, chili, etc).

With an all-herb garden, I can't restrict myself to a list! I love 'em all. It's easier for me to pick my non-favouritist, which would be Dill, although it has its place in my kitchen.

My current favourite is Lemon Myrtle, followed closely by Sumac. I use a lot of parsley and chives and basil and mint, too.

I guess it all depends on what I'm making at the moment! But fresh herbs are always better than dried. Things like coriander, cumin, sesame seed, fenugreek, aniseed etc taste so much better when you've grown them yourself! I even grow my own turmeric (very nice used fresh) and ginger.

I NEVER use salt in my cooking. But pepper (or chaste-berries as a substitute) is essential to me.

impossible to choose, i say!:-p
if i had to go for the rest of my life with only one herb to choose, it'd definately be ground sage. i put it in most any savory dish i make and love the stuff dearly. just the aroma alone is so lovely... beautifully aromatic.
BUT...
lol...
then there's seasalt. and fresh-cracked black pepper. and garlic. and chives for garnish. and curry. i love green curry paste. and can't forget about ginger. and horseradish, yum. a life without horseradish would be a very empty life, indeed.:LOL:

:chef:
I love garlic!!
I love onions!!
I love parsley!!
I love Greek Oregano ( picked by old ladies on Greek mountain tops!!)

Salt and pepper are always added too.

:)

Back
Top Bottom