Imperia Pasta Maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
These things are a hot item on ebay, but I finally got one today for $20.50 plus about $13 shipping. It has no instruction book with it, so I may need some help from some of you pasta makers.

It sure will, Kleenex! Thank you very much!
The shipping ended up being only $11.00, so I think I got a pretty good buy.
I'm kind of excited about this...I've always wanted to make pasta. If I really get into it, I can buy a fancier one with a motor later on.

Glad you finally got one Constance! I like the Imperia - and you don't have to throw it out if you want to add a motor ... you can get a motor that will fit on the one you have!

It takes a little time to learn how to use it ... mainly the right dough texture and the right amount of time to dry it before trying to run it through the cutters. A lot of prople get them, try them a time or two, don't get instant gratification - and put them up for sale on eBay. :rolleyes:

It takes a little practice. Like Bibba Caggione says - "it's just a little flour and a couple of eggs." Don't expect it to be perfect the first time or two ... but hang in there and you'll get it figured out.

Please let me know how it goes. Hubby used to be pasta maker par excellence, but the latest pasta roller I bought (yes, Imperia) had a defect, one of the rollers was poorly milled and it tore up the pasta. Since it is so heavy, it would have cost more to return it than it was worth. I haven't had fresh pasta since. I won't buy another Imperia, am looking for the other two brands that are around (and I've owned both)(we move a lot, and sometimes you need to get rid of the pasta maker, boo hoo). I really, really miss the fresh pasta. But I'm an officianada of thin pasta, and you can't do that if your rollers are too rough.

That said, pasta is a fun participation-dinner-party dish. Kids love it. Everyone gathers around the counter and rolls a sheet of their own. Because it doesn't take much cooking, it's great entertainment to make the pasta. And most people love spaghetti with red sauce.

Thanks for the encouragement, Michael...I won't give up.

Claire, I have two grandsons...one 16, whom my husband and I have been raising since he was 3, and another 7 year old who lives about 200 yards down the lane. They both enjoy helping grandma.
We entertain a lot too, and since I've gotten stove up, our guests come prepared to help, so I think we'll have fun with it.

Oh, you'll love it for that. My teenaged nephew actually went out and bought one when he was going through a cooking phase. I recommend having a sauce on hand that you can just pour on (tomato sauces, either home-made or your favorite jar) and a tossed salad and garlic bread -- you know, the ultimate Italian-American feast. Then you can just have fun making the pasta. Once a freind and I, and her sons, were strolling through Honolulu's China Town and walked by a noodle shop, and they were making noodles on a gigantic machine that looked just like my little one. We'd had a party with her sons (at the time pre-teens) and made pasta, so they were so jazzed to see someone making pasta just like they had. You guys are making me want to go out and buy a machine. My local gourmet implements store only carries the imperia, which is the only machine I've had a problem with. But I know the owner, so returning it might not be an issue. Now there are quite a few young folk in their early 20s who tell me that they have happy memories of making pasta at our house (it really is hubby's thing).

Sounds like you got a lemon Claire ... the two main Italian brands are Imperia and Atlas ... and Imperia cost more, has more cutter attachments, and is the only one that makes restaurant machines. I've used both and really didn't see any difference (between the Imperia 150 and Atlas 150 - home models - the Imperia 220 is the bigger restaurant model).

VillaWare imports the Al Dente from China (a little cheaper) - there is the roller/cutter from Arcosteel (even cheaper - and impossible to find any information on), and Target sells one made by who knows (and where) for about $17. They all look alike from the pictures.

If your local store carries Imperia, and you can return it if you have quality problems with it, it might be worth taking the chance.

You might look here for models and available accessories: http://www.pastamakers.us

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom