Spicy Lime-Cilantro Marinated Flank Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
JKath, you can use your fresh Jalapenos in this recipe. The marinade is also a good dipping sauce with Grilled Baby Back Ribs, Shrimp, Scallops, Chicken, Sausage, Venison, etc.

SPICY LIME-CILANTRO MARINATED FLANK STEAK

Yield: Approx. 6 - 8 oz Portions

Ingredients:

3 lbs. Flank, Skirt, or Hanger Steak
1-2 Fresh Jalapeno or Serrano Chiles
6 Medium Cloves of Garlic
1 cup loosely packed fresh Cilantro, rinsed and dried
2 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme
1/2 Medium sized Red Onion OR 4 Shallots, coarsely chopped
2-3 Tbsp. Honey
Juice of 2 Limes
3/4 cup Corn Oil
Kosher Salt to taste

Method:

Combine all ingredients except for the steak and salt in a food processor or blender, and blend until ingredients are well incorporated. Use just one of the chilis, then add in another if you want it hotter. For one chili, use 2 Tbsp. Honey; use 3 Tbsp. Honey for two chiles. In a ziplock bag or shallow dish, place steak and approx. 1/2 cup of the marinade. Massage marinade into both sides of the meat, and marinate overnight in the refrigerator, turning the meat at least twice. Reserve the remainder of the marinade for the sauce.

Prepare Grill to Medium-High. Remove meat from the refrigerator, and let it sit at room temp. for at least 30 minutes. Season both sides of the steak liberally with the Kosher salt and place on the grill. Cook to desired doneness, approx 4 minutes per side for Medium Rare. Using a sharp knife, slice steak on a bias to approx. 1/8"-1/4" slices. Drizzle the remaining marinade over the meat and serve.

Last edited:
Omit the honey, grill the meat over charcoal, and then chop it into small cubes. Saute with fresh bell pepper. Your recipe becomes carne asada meat for burritoes, tacos, etc. And it's absolutely my favorite Tex-Mex filling.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Ironchef, that sounds exactly like what I would love!
Perfect in every way.
Quick question - is the remaining marinade heated before topping the steak?

A Keeper for sure

IRONCHEF: This recipe sounds fabulous. I would love to do this with chicken or fish also. I love anything with jalapenos, lime and cilantro, lots of cilantro, so this one is a keeper for me. Thanks for posting. :winkiss:

Heating the remaining marinade

JKATH: The remaining marinade that is drizzled over the steak HAS to simmer for at least 5 minutes to kill any raw beef bacteria that accumulated during marinating. Any sauce or marinade can be used on cooked meat as long as it is heated for 5 minutes.

Actually, the remaining marinade is going to be seperate from the beef in the refrigerator. You're only going to use half of the marinade to marinate the beef. The other half is reserved for later so it actually never comes into contact with any meat.

I guess I didn't make that clear in the recipe. Sorry about that!

This marinade sounds really good. With the lime, I'll bet this is good on chicken too, but I am definitely more of a beef person!

:) Barbara

I am ready to try IronChef's marinade. My question is: since a flank steak is thicker on one end then the other how do you gauge to cooking time? Do you just do 4 min per side, regardless of the diff?

marajo said:
I am ready to try IronChef's marinade. My question is: since a flank steak is thicker on one end then the other how do you gauge to cooking time? Do you just do 4 min per side, regardless of the diff?

That's what you would usually do, but the thinner end will be closer to medium/medium-well. You could always trim off the thin section and cook it seperately if you'd like.

I am using cilantro and lime more and more when I cook. Thanks for posting this marinade. I'm going to try this this weekend. It sounds wonderful.:)

Back
Top Bottom