Pickling....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nytxn

Senior Cook
Anyone mess around with making pickles or any type?

I'm specifically interested in NY style half sour and garlic pickles, but I'm also considering pickled tomatoes, etc.

Here's a copy of a posting I made a while ago regarding refrigerator pickles.

Here's my grandma's recipe, just as she wrote it, so if you have questions, I can't help much, as she always made them, and I never did, and now she is too old to cook anymore. They're quite good!

Grandma's Pickles

4 quarts sliced cucumbers
6 medium white onions, sliced
2 green bell peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1/3 c. coarse salt
5 c. granulated sugar
1-1/2 tsp turmeric
1-1/2 tsp celery seed
2 T mustard seed
3 c. apple cider vinegar

Wash & slice cukes, add onions, peppers and whole garlic cloves.
Add salt; cover w/cracked ice ad mix thoroughly.
Let stand 3 hours in refrigerator.
Comvine other ingredients. Pour over drained cukes etc, and heat just to boiling.
Seal in hot sterilized jars.

I've only made bread and butter refrigerator pickles. I've been looking for a good recipe for dills that aren't pickled too much, but haven't been successful.

i pickle some things. i love to make pickled garlic, pickled eggs (not the pink kind w/ beets; mine are in a very basic solution), garlic dills, i just made pickled green beans for the first time, stuff like that.
i just mix vinegar and kosher salt, spices and peppercorns and usually garlic cloves and cut the ends off of what i'm pickling so they can absorb the brine. then i process them and let them hang out for a few weeks till they're sour and salty. the green beans got pickl-y right away, though.

I pickle cucumbers, beets bveans and I have tried eggs but didn't care for the results so will look for a better recipe. I pickled brats also. Love to try new things ato pickle.

I have a question for Luvs Food and hope you will help. I would like to try pickling both beets w/onions and also turn small cucumbers into garlic dills. You gave pretty much the list of ingredients I would suspect useful, however, could you be more specific and list the individual quantities for them? Also, what do you mean by process them. I was kind of thinking of doing what an Aunt of mine did and just leaving them out in a jar (the pickles) to absorb the brine (after it was heated to a boil and poured over the cucumbers) and then just eat as desired. I wanted to do pickles about 25 yrs. ago and got a recipe from my Mom for dills, but they were so salty that, before eating, we had to drain the liquid off multiple times and refill the jars with fresh unseasoned water. I had canned these, which was a lot of work, so we didn't want to just throw them away. We were able to end up enjoying them, however, I've stayed away from any pickling after this experience. Thanks for any add'l help. :)

Here's my Grandmothers B&B Recipe. (This is the reason I grow cucumbers :mrgreen: )

Slice 25 cucumbers medium size
12 onions sliced
Soak in ice water with 1/2 cup canning/pickling salt for 3 hours
Scald Vinegar - 1 quart (4 cups)
2 Cups Sugar
2 tsp Mustard Seed
2 tsp Tumeric
2 tsp Celery Seed

* - Updated to include reccomendationds from the Extension Office.

Slice Cucumbers and Onions, combine and soak in Ice Water / Salt bath for 3 hours.

Bring Vinegar, Sugar, Mustard Seed, Tumeric and Celery Seed to a boil and let boil for 10 minutes.

Drain Cucumbers and Onions well and add to boiling vinegar mixture.

Bring everything back up to a boil.

Pack in sterileized jars and pour in boiling vinegar mixture leaving 1/2 inch headspace.

Process in Boiling Water Bath canner for 10-15 minutes.
Add 5 minutes for every 1000 feet above sea level.

Discard any jars that have become cloudy or lost their seal during storage.

~ Raven ~

Last edited:
I feel I'm getting moved to pickle too, crewsk. :cool:

Thanks Raven!!! I can jam it up ... but need inspiration to try to get into a pickle (fear of the unknown/never tried it thing). I'm usually in hot water enough that the boiling water canner should feel like home ... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom