Gooey Butter Cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Gooey Butter cakes

Okay - I resisted making these for a long time, 'cause I just don't do mixes; but - have been baking them for my little business, and they're walking out the door! Thank you, Paula Deen!

GOOEY BUTTER CAKES

CAKE:

1 18.25 oz box cake mix

1 egg

1 stick butter, melted

FILLING:

1 8-oz pkg softened cream cheese

2 eggs

1 tsp vanailla

2 cups powdered sugar

1 stick melted butter

Prehead oven to 350. Light grease a 9x13 baking pan.

Combine cake mix, egg, and butter, mix well. Pat into bottom of pan and set aside.

Beat cream cheese til smooth; add eggs and vanilla; add powdered sugar, mix well. Reduce speed and slowly pour in butter. Mix well. Pour filling onto cake and spread evenly. Bake for 40-50 minutes. Center will be a little gooey.

Variations:

Caramel Pecan – yellow cake mix/pecans in filling mixture/drizzle caramel on top.

Chocolate chip – either yellow or chocolate mix; stir in 1 cup chips into filling.

Peanut butter gooey – use chocolate cake mix; add 1 cup peanut butter and an extra egg to filling.

Strawberry gooey – strawberry cake/swirl 2/3 cup strawberry jam into filling.

OK, marm, you've convinced me to try them now, too! Like you I avoid mixes but have always been curious about these, especially the pumpkin.

Did you use any specific cake mix or just whatever is on sale? Are you making yours in the mini cake pans?

Usually, Duncan Hines is the most moist if you have to use the box mixes.

This sounds wonderful, too bad I'm trying to be good. When I lose the weight that I need and can maintain, this is one of the first I'll definately try. YUMMY!

Duncan Hines is what I use also.
I've not seen the strawberry butter cake...that sounds so good.
I love strawberries...when I was a little girl, I asked my grandma if they had strawberries in heaven.

I'm just using whatever mixes I find on sale - they're all pretty moist and 'gooey'!

The strawberry one is my own creation, I think; I haven't seen it on any of Paula's lists.

The butter pecan is wonderful! Haven't tried the pumpkin yet, we want to wait til fall for those.

PA, I've been splitting them up; I do one 9x9 pan that I cut into individual squares, and then 2 'mini pans', that are about 5x7 (the Hefty foil 'roll pans').

Have taken Gooey cakes to the office many times and always take an empty plate back home. They are easy and yummy!!!!

Sounds great. I'm always on the look out for easy desserts to take to potlucks and bbqs. I've added these to the list. Thanks!

you can borrow my oven, middie. come on over!
marm, i have been looking and looking for a cake recipe that i'll actually eat. i've been having to down ridiculous amounts of sweets to try and keep my weight from getting too low
and i don't like most of what i eat. but these sound like an exception! which one is gooey-er, the roll pan ones or the other ones?
thanks for the idea!

I didn't see pumpkin, does anyone know how that one is made? That sounds like it would be great at holidays.

Here's the pumpkin:

Cake:
1 (18 1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted
Filling:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To make the cake: Combine all of the ingredients and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan. Prepare filling.
To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.
Serve with fresh whipped cream.

Luvs - They're both 'gooier', lol - I just use the roll pans to give the customers a 'choice' between a single one or a whole pan.

marmalady said:
Luvs - They're both 'gooier', lol - I just use the roll pans to give the customers a 'choice' between a single one or a whole pan.

thanks!:) think i'll go with the single ones. woo-hoooooooooooooo, an excuse to use my mixer!

ARGGG I may not wait until the holidays to make that pumpkin one. Will have to see if I can make a version without quite so much sugar for me and my family. It sounds absolutely scrumptuous!!!

Well - there's already sugar in the cake mix; so it'd just be the amount of powdered sugar in the cream cheese part. I'm not sure what reducing that would do to the texture after it bakes; it's sort of the 'glue' that holds it all together!

I've been making the pumpkin gooey butter cakes for a couple of years now. In fact, they are the only variation I've ever made. I love them and they are always a hit everytime I take them somewhere. And I do reduce the amount of powdered sugar because they are very sweet, and it doesn't change the texture at all. Instead of using the whole box of powdered sugar, I use about 3/4 of the box (plus a couple more tablespoons) and they turn out great every time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom