Wok Fun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
As a few of you may remember, I just got a new wok last week, and I've been using it every day since! I'm still getting re-aclimated with it, my dishes are coming out a little runny, or maybe it just seems that way b/c i'm not serving with rice or noodles (Atkins etc.) Anyways, I thought it would be fun for everyone to post their favorite Asian dishes that you make in a wok.

I haven't had anything spectacular come out of the wok yet, but I cooked up some mushrooms in a spicy peanut sauce, and they really soaked up the flavor, I like them a lot! Anyways, have fun with this!

Mushrooms are like sponges and will soak up a lot of fat or liquid. I like to fry sliced portabellos.

One of my favourite asian (more specifically, Thai) style recipes is chicken with thai basil, fish sauce, kaffir lime leaves with a fried egg on top.

So simple yet so delicious.

Here are a couple of my favorite recipes.

Cashew Chicken

Ingredients:
8 ounces boneless chicken breasts, skinned and cut into 1/2 inch cubes

Marinade
1 egg white
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cornstarch

5 fluid ounces cooking oil (vegetable or peanut)
2 ounces cashew nuts
2 teaspoons dry sherry or rice wine
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon spring onions, finely chopped as garnish (if desired)

Directions:
Add the marinade ingredients to the chicken cubes, mixing with chopsticks and adding the cornstarch last. Allow the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator for 15 - 20 minutes. While the chicken is marinating, mix together the dry sherry and light soy sauce and set aside.
Heat the wok and add oil. When the oil is ready, add the chicken cubes and stir-fry on medium heat, stirring quickly to ensure that the chicken does not stick to the wok, until it turns white. Remove the chicken from the wok and set aside.
Clean the wok with a paper towel and add one tablespoon of oil. When the oil is ready, add the cashews and stir-fry them for about 1 minute. Add the chicken, and the sherry/soy sauce mixture. Stir-fry the dish for about another 2 minutes. If you don't like raw spring onions, you can add them to the dish at this time. Otherwise, remove the dish from wok, garnish with spring onions, and serve.

Chicken Stir-fry with Soy Sauce

3 - tablespoons soy sauce
2 - tablespoons dry sherry or rice wine
1 - tablespoon corn starch
2 - cloves garlic, minced
1/4 - cup water
2 - tablespoons olive oil
2 - whole, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1/2 lb. broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1 - small onion, thinly sliced
1 - carrot, pared and thinly sliced
Cooked white rice

Combine soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch, garlic, and 1/4 cup water; set aside. In wok or large skillet, stir fry chicken in hot oil for 2 minutes. Add vegetables; stir fry 4 minutes. Add soy sauce mixture; cook and stir until slightly thickened. Serve over rice.

I usually use thin strips of chicken, beef, or pork, along with scallions, mushrooms, snow peas, bean sprouts, peas, and add soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and an egg.

Mongolian Stir Fry

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound Flank steak or lean pork, sliced thin; chicken, turkey, fish fillets, or tofu, cubed; or shrimp, shelled, cleaned, and de-veined (a.k.a. meat!)
  • peanut oil for frying
  • 1 small onion or shallot, sliced thin
  • 4 oz snow peas
  • 4 oz Green onion, green part only
  • 4 oz button mushrooms
  • 2 cloves finely minced garlic
Coating:
  • 1 Egg white
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Cornstarch
Sauce:

• 1 tsp Cornstarch
  • 1 tsp Turbinado Sugar
  • 1 tsp Chinese chili sauce
  • 2 Tbs dry Sherry, white wine, or rice wine
  • 2 Tbs Hoisin sauce
  • 2 Tbs soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup beef, chicken, shrimp, or vegetable stock

Combine sauce ingredients and set aside. Combine egg white, salt and cornstarch, add meat and mix well to coat. Heat peanut oil in wok over high heat, then stir fry meat until just cooked through and remove from wok. Add additional peanut oil to wok and stir fry onion or shallot and snow peas for 1 minute. Add green onion, mushrooms and garlic and continue stir-frying until mushrooms are tender. Add sauce to vegetables and heat until sauce has thickened. Add meat and stir until heated through.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom