Canning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callie

Head Chef
OK...maybe I've just overlooked it - is there a thread for canning? I'm so excited!! Last summer was my first to can tomatoes and salsa. I loved it! I improvised with our largest soup pot and a rack I bought that fit in the bottom. Just today I got a real canning pot w/rack! I can't wait to start canning again. Anyone else do any canning? I'm such a beginner. But everything I did last year turned out great.

Check out this site: http://www.homecanning.com/usa
If you don't have the Ball Blue Book - $5 - get it!

I mainly do things that I can do in a water bath - but my son has a pressure canner and so I go over to his house 3-4 times a year and we have marathon canning sessions.

Thanks, Michael! I'll check out the site. I've already got the Ball book...though it's quite old. My daughter is the one who inspired me - she's a pro at canning.

I've always been such a chicken. Am afraid that I will poison somebody with what I can. :( I would love to try it, but wish I had watched my grandmother more closely and asked questions when she use to can foods. :(

Icy - be brave! You can do it!!! I've always been scared, too...but my daughter started canning and sharing her canned tomatoes and salsa with us. She didn't have any horror stories to tell - and we survived so I got up the nerve to try it, too :LOL: I think one of the secrets is to make sure the tops of the jars are wiped clean before sealing. All my jars sealed tight! Maybe it was beginner's luck...

Try it! Try it!
:mrgreen:

Why don't we make this our canning thread? Post away with questions - I've done a bit, tho not recently. Used to put up just about everything!

The Ball book really is the bible; once you have their basic techniques down, and understand the difference between water bath and pressure, and which foods need to be done with a pressure canner, you're good to go!

Icy - I watched my grandmothers and aunts and I wouldn't do it the way they did! They used the old "open kettle" method and sealed things with parafin. I don't know of anyone that kicked over dead from eating anything they put up .... but I know Mom threw a few jars away because of the "funkies" growing in them.

I can all kinds of jams and preserves every year (going by the Balll Blue Book instructions) and nobody has died.

How long is it safe to keep something that is canned? Should you put a label on the jar where you know how long to keep? I was only 7 when I watched Nama canning watermelon rind pickles. That is one of the things I would love to be able to make like she did. Want to see if I like them or not. I remember eating small pieces of them, but I don't know if I actually liked them or not. My Nama made them, so I ate them. :) She also use to pickle okra, but she couldn't convince me that they tasted good. :LOL:

I would love to make sugar-free jams and preserves or if that isn't possible at least half sugar half splenda. Anybody have any TNT recipes?

Last edited:
I don't have any sugar free recipes to share, sorry! Mine are strictly the old fashioned method.

Michael, I use the paraffin method for my jams, but the jam goes in so hot that most often the lids self seal anyway. I agree with you about it not being safe to use on anything else though. There is some great info on preserving on this website.

www.atcoblueflamekitchen.com

Michael in FtW said:
If you don't have the Ball Blue Book - $5 - get it!
Michael (or anyone else) I am new to canning (haven't actually started yet) and have always heard to get the Ball Blue book. Is the Ball Blue book of Preserving the one I want for canning or is preserving and canning different animals? What I really want to learn how to do is can a meat sauce I make (if that is even possible).

GB, check that link I posted. They recommend you NOT try to can meat sauce. It is just too easy to go icky. It is a better idea to can the tomato base and then just go from there. The acid ratios need to be balanced in that sort of thing which is why canning salsa can sometimes be tricky. Happy canning!

Oh no, that is a big bummer!!! I was hoping to try to start selling one of my meat sauces. I was going to can it and bring it around to small stores. How do the meat sauce companies do it?

GB, I believe they use very high temp processes to make sure it's safe.

You might be able to accomplish the same at home with a pressure cooker/canner. You still have to make sure the acids are right though...

YOur local SBA or health department could probably point you towards more info on what would be required if you were looking to sell your sauces to stores.

John

GB, you definitely need a pressure canner for a meat sauce - particularly if you're going to sell it! i bought a pressure canner a few years ago for about $100, so they're not prohibitive; it's a small one, tho; I think it does about 6 quart jars at a time.

Also, be sure to check your town's laws re home food production; some are very lax, and others won't let you anything from your 'home' kitchen; has to be a separate layout, with sinks, refrigeration, etc.

GB said:
Michael (or anyone else) I am new to canning (haven't actually started yet) and have always heard to get the Ball Blue book. Is the Ball Blue book of Preserving the one I want for canning or is preserving and canning different animals? What I really want to learn how to do is can a meat sauce I make (if that is even possible).

Yeah, it's the Ball Blue Book of Preserving ... I just never paid attention to the full title. It's just a very good, inexpensive depending on where you get it, basic book on canning. I guess calling it the book of canning and preserving would be redundant since you are preserving by canning ... there are no recipes for salt cure, cold smoke or drying preservation.

High acid foods canned in 1/2 - 1 pint sizes can be processed in a water bath (things like jams and preserves, etc.). But, when you go to larger things like quarts or a meat sauce you HAVE to use a pressure canner. That's why if someone has never canned before I always recommend they get the Ball book as a starting reference.

If you shop around you should be able to find a new Presto 22-23 qt pressure canner/cooker for about $90-$100.

Sometimes you can find one in good shape at a garage sale. In that case - before you use it ... if it has a pressure guage on the top it needs to be checked to make sure the guage is accurate. Our county aggriculture extension office does it for free down here - we just have to call and make arrangements. It will probably also need a new gasket and overpressure plug - ACE Hardware carries those in a set for
about $10-$15.

IcyMist said:
How long is it safe to keep something that is canned? Should you put a label on the jar where you know how long to keep?

I think the general rule is one year - as long as the seal is intact and there are no bubbles or funny things growing it the jar. If you pull out a jar that has bubbling, foaming, or mold growing on it DO NOT EVEN OPEN IT - DISCARD IMMEDIATELY! High acid foods that can be canned in a water bath are probably safe for up to a couple of years. Low acid foods canned in a pressure canner, where they are blanched and then canned like green beans, corn, etc. - should be boiled for at least 3 minutes before tasting or eating. I think the same goes for canned meats. This stuff is all in the Ball Blue Book.

To be honest - I've never had anything that didn't get consumed within a year or less.

Excellent points Michael!

We always follow a pretty simple rule with anything that we have canned - If you open it up and it doesn't look/smell/ or just plain seem quite right - just pitch it. Why take the chance?

John

(I must confess, much to my wife's dismay, our pressure canner gets used more for making yeast feeders -unfermented, unhopped beeer - then it does for canning our preserving foods)

Well GB - I finally found my canning books ... and pressure canning time for meat sauces (something like a sauce for spaghetti, lasagna, etc.?) is about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

RonJohn brought up a good point ... before you set up shop and start production you need to check the laws in your city/state. Some places have prohabitions against using a home kitchen - you have to use a kitchen certified by the health department, etc. - but depending on the product there is sometimes some allowances made. And then there are those pesky USDA requirements for ingredients, nutritional info, and UPC bar codes, etc. There is a book that covers everything you need to know to start your own food business ... http://www.jazzfoods.com It's about $100 - but if you're serious about it then it would probably be well worth the money. I don't have a copy yet - but it's near the top of my list.

Thanks Michael. I will put that book on my wish list. First I will talk to my friend with the board of health and pick his brain.

also, thanks for that link Michael. I used it and bought the Blue book. It is going to take a while to get it (possible 6 to 8 weeks, but I am guessing it won't really take that long), but it was by far the best price around. My local book store wanted $9 for it and they didn't even have it in stock.

Back
Top Bottom