Crockpot Woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gingerpie

Assistant Cook
I'm new to this board and say a friendly hello. :)

Several years ago I used to cook really nice, juicey roasts in my old crockpot. It would slow-cook 8 hours and come out really delicious. I cooked Swiss steak the same way.

Now I have a crockpot, maybe 5 years old. It's a Proctor-Silex. A while back I noticed that beef, in particular, was overcooking to a rubbery pulp so I called the manufacturer and they said the newer crockpots cook foods in half the time that the old ones do - for safety reasons. The heat settings are higher so the cooking time is less.

Okay. That's fine. So I cut my cooking times in half, but the beef still comes out like rubber. It's awful.

Has anyone else had this problem with their crockpot? Or is it a problem with the kind of beef I'm using? This afternoon I basically ruined a piece of London Broil. I thought I could put any type of meat in the crockpot and get a nice, tender meal - but either I'm doing something wrong or my crockpot is a real crock! :-p

wish i knew what to tell you. someone will be along shortly who can answer your question i'm sure. anyway welcome to dc !

Welcome to DC.
I only use my crock pot for chili and soup... so, I'm afraid
I can't be of much help. Someone will come along with
an answer for you though.

Hi Gingerpie! Welcome!!!

I cook roasts all the time in my crock pot, and more often, in my big roaster.

As for london broil, it should come out wonderfully! I just put in a 3 lb. roast, a package of onion soup mix and 2 cans of Campbell's Double Strength Beef Broth. I cook it on low for 8 hours or high for 3-1/2 to 4.

I'd suggest trying another crockpot before you have to throw more meat away! How about trying a friends' crockpot first? Maybe yours has a defective part.

I don't own a crockpot any more for this very reason. My old one broke in a move, and the new ones ... well, you could boil water in them at their lowest temp. I was constantly burning or rubberizing the food I put in to slow cook. I'm retired now, and have a five burner smooth-top electric range, with two burners that have extra low settings, so the crock and all that it symbolizes doesn't apply to me now. I did, in those days, throw in a chicken and all the stewing stuff (carrot, celery, onion, etc) and go to work, and come home to dinner for a week (when I was single). I wouldn't trust a modern crock to do that ... they just get too darned hot. A crock pot shouldn't boil over, and my last ones did!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom