Newby ISO Pressure Cooker Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattyG

Assistant Cook
St. Joseph, Mo. soon to move to our retirement ho
Hi Everybody,

My name is PattyG. Last Christmas my d/h gave me a real nice pressure cooker. I love to cook in it, but have very few recipes. I hope some of you can help me out with some tasty recipes. It's so nice to cook something in it in the morning and just heat in the microwave at night. Today it will be 102 degrees. We have central air conditioning, but you don't want to make it work any harder then it has too. Your bills can get very high as I'm sure you all know who live in hot summer places. I will be looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks for letting me join you.:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

We are happy that you're here Pattyg. Some one will come along with some good recipes for you soon.

Welcome to DC, PattyG. Hope you love it as much as I do!!
I know what your talking about with hot weather. Luckily, this year, so far, hasn't been too bad.

9.gif

Hi pdswife and Texasgirl. Thanks a bunch for responding to my message. Yes I hope to receive some nice recipes from someone. You say it's not too bad in Texas this year, well good for you. They say on the national weather report that our part of the country hasn't seen it this hot and humid in the past 10 years. We are badly in need of rain too. The poor farmers will suffer for it the most. If anyone's had too much rain send it to northwest Missouri okay? Take care all and have a good week.

I love pressure cookers! I have two - a 5qt one for our family of 4, and a 10qt one for bulk-cooking, stocks and dinner parties. Here's a recipe for Moroccan Lamb, which I always cook in my pressure cooker, and is good enough for a dinner party too!

Boneless leg of lamb, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 1/2" chunks. (You can also substitute chicken thighs for Moroccan Chicken, as it's cheaper than lamb).

2 medium (or 1 large) onion, chopped.
28oz can of tomatoes (with juice, plus 1/2 can of water)
1 tblspn fresh marjoram (or 1/2 tblspn dried),
3 tblspn lemon juice,
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tblspn paprika,
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander seed,
1 tsp ground fennel seed,
1 tsp ground black pepper.
1 eggplant, cubed
1/2 cup slivered almonds.
cous-cous to serve.

Brown the lamb in some olive oil in the pressure cooker, add the onion and saute for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes, water, lemon juice and all the herbs & spices. Put the lid on the pressure cooker and cook at 15lbs pressure for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, spread the cubed eggplant on a baking sheet or roasting pan, spray or brush with a little olive oil, and bake in the oven at 400F for 25 minutes, or until browned.

When the casserole is ready, thicken it slightly if necessary (it should be fairly liquid - not thick), then add the roasted aubergines just before serving. Serve over cous-cous and sprinkle with the slivered almonds.

If you are short of time, you can just throw in ALL the ingredients (including the eggplant, but not the almonds) and pressure cook them without any pre-browning or roasting - but it's better if they are roasted/sauteed first.

For a recipe book, try "The Best Pressure Cooker Recipes" by Cinda Chavich.

Most slow-cooker recipes can be cooked just as well in a pressure cooker (as long as they have enough liquid in them to produce the steam) - my favourite slow-cooker recipe book is "The Gourmet Slow Cooker" by Lynn Alley. Just be careful to steer clear of recipes with a lot of beans/pulses in them, as they can froth up in a pressure cooker and block the steam vents.

Paint.

Last edited:
Pressure Cooker Minestrone Soup

Welcome to the site Patty!!! You have chosen probably my favorite means of cooking! When the garden vegetables start pouring in late summer I always make this soup:

Minestrone Soup

3/4 cup dried navy beans, picked over and rinsed
1 to 2 smoked ham hocks
3 TBS olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely minced (I always use more though)
1 very large white onion, coarsely chopped
3 large carrots, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 medium leek, thoroughly rinsed and thinly sliced
3 stalks celery, cut into 1" slices
1 cup tightly packed minced fresh basil, divided
1 tsp. dried thyme or dried oregano
2 14-oz. cans Italian plum tomatoes including juice
1 TBS sugar
3 cups cold water
3 cups vegetable stock (chicken is fine but the vegetable has a very
clean taste)
6 oz. green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds (about 2 cups loosely
packed - I always use canned and just rinse them well)
1/2 cup tubettini-orzo is ok but tubettini in this soup has a better texture
1 to 2 cups boiling water (optional)
2 large zucchini cut into 1/2" slices
3 cups loosely packed cored, shredded cabbage
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
freshly ground black papper
Garnish: 1 to 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

Soak navy beans overnight or use the pressure cooker quick presoak method. Rinse, drain, and set aside.

Heat olive oil in the cooker and saute the garlic and onion until the onion becomes limp. Add the carrots, leek, celery, 1/2 cup basil, thyme, reserved navy beans, plum tomatoes with their juice, sugar, water and stock. I leave the ham hock in during the whole time of cooking. Lightly salt and pepper to taste. Lock the lid in place and over high heat bring to high pressure. Adjust heat to maintain high pressure and cook for 20 minutes. Use quick-release method and remove lid, tilting it away from you to allow any excess steam to escape.

Add the green beans and tubettini (or tubetti) and cook uncovered over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently because the pasta will want to drop to the bottom and burn. If the soup becomes too thick add the optional 1 to 2 cups boiling water (I have never had to do this though).

Add zucchini, cabbage, remaining basil, adjust salt and pepper. Cook until the zucchini and green beans are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Garnish bowls with the cheese.

This is labor intensive but if you have help chopping it definately makes things easier! Or do the chopping the day before. I have tried this with and without the sugar - the sugar definately enhances all the flavors. This soup is great served with a rosemary and kalamata olive foccacia bread or other rustic bread. Nice glass of red wine - a good meal.

Pressure Cooker Beans and Rice

We've had a streak of 100+ days here this past week and I frequently use the pressure cooker to keep my time in the kitchen down.

Last night I made beans and rice. I have an 8 quart pressure cooker so you will have to adjust the recipe if your's is smaller.

Main Ingredients:
3 cups (1 1/2 lbs.) of dried beans (I use pinto, Great Northern or mayocoba)
12 cups water
1 - 16 to 20 oz. smoked turkey leg or wings or ham hock
1 1/4 cups brown rice
1 lb. smoked sausage
1 medium to large onion (chopped)

Spices:
1 t cumin
1 t ground thyme
1 t cayenne pepper
1 t ground sage
1 t marjoram
1 t ground mustard
1 t ground black pepper
1 t epazote (optional)
1 to 4 bay leaves (depending upon size)
Adjust seasonings to suit your own taste, my family likes this combination and balance.

Cooking Method:
Pick over beans and wash.
Soak 4 to 6 hours.
Drain and discard soaking water (or keep it and use it if you prefer)

Place soaked beans, smoked turkey leg (wings or pork, but hold out smoked sausage at this time), 9 cups of water and spices into pressure vessel. Cook at pressure (15psi) for approximately 30 to 45 minutes depending upon your preference for bean tenderness.

Stop cooking process by using the quick method (run cold water over pressure cooker) to bring pressure to normal.

Remove meat from bones of smoked meat, remove tendons and break up meat. Add brown rice and add additional cups of water to fill pressure cooker to 2/3 to 3/4 full.

A Word of Warning: Never fill any pressure cooker more than 2/3 to 3/4 full because there will need to be room for the pressure to build. Water (fluids) cannot be compressed or pressurized. Air can be compressed and the air space is necessary to allow the pressure to build.

Close cooker, bring to pressure and cook at pressure for 15 to 18 minutes.

Stop cooking again using the quick method. Slice smoked sausage into thin pieces (1/8" - 1/4") cut on diagonal to maximize surface area.

Add sliced smoked sausage immediately to still very hot pressure cooker with beans and rice. Cover and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not cook any further. The heat from the cooked beans and rice will heat the sausage. Since the sausage is smoked it is not necessary to cook it separately.

I've seen other pressure cooker beans and rice recipes which require cooking the beans and rice separately but this method uses fewer pots and pans and the results are perfect.

It is also high fiber with the beans and brown rice.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Hi,

I had posted ths recipe elsewhere on the site, then I stumbled upon this thread. If you like Indian flavors, you'll love this. It's not too spicy and very flavorful.

Dal Makhani

2 Red Chile Peppers
1” Ginger Piece
2 Garilc
1 C Urad Saboot (whole black beans)
2 Tb Channe Ki Dal (split gram dal)
1 Tb Ghee or oil
1 1/2 tsp Salt
5 C Water
4 Tomatoes (14 oz. Can)
3 Tb Butter
1 Tb Kasoori Mehti (dry fennugreek leaf)
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
2 tsp Ketchup
1/2 C Milk (if needed)
1/2 C Cream
1/4 tsp Nutmeg

Soak the peppers in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Make a paste of the peppers, ginger and garlic in a food processor.

Wash and pick over the beans. Place them in a pressure cooker with the garlic, ginger, pepper paste and the tablespoon of ghee or oil, the salt and the water.

Bring the pressure cooker up to pressure and cook for 40 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Puree the tomatoes in a food processor and add them to the pressure cooker along with the butter, Kasoori Mehti, the Garam Masala and the ketchup. Simmer for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally and mashing the beans slightly.

Add some milk if the mixture appears too thick.

Continue cooking to thicken.

Stir in the cream and nutmeg.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom