Hijiki Rice Salad (TNT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zereh

Head Chef
This one is simple and great! I use my rice cooker to make the rice instead of the stovetop method. You can eat it chilled as well, but I like my warm or at room temp best.

Hijiki Rice Salad

1-ounce dried hijiki (scant 1 cup)
2 1/4 c water
3/4 t salt
1 c uncooked long-grain rice
2 T toasted sesame seeds
4 scallions, minced
1 1/2 c snow peas, cut into thin julienne strips
1 small carrot, minced
1 t grated fresh ginger
1/4 rice vinegar
2 t sugar
2 T canola or corn oil
fresh-ground pepper to taste

Soak the hijiki in cool water for 1 hour, then drain it

Bring the water and 1/2 t salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the rice. Turn the heat to low and cover the pan. Simmer the rice for 20 minutes.

While the rice simmers, cook the hijiki: In a saucepan, cover the hijiki generously with water. Simmer it over medium-low heat for about 15-20 minutes, or until the hijiki is tender. Drain the hijiki and rinse it in cold water.

Toast the sesame seeds in a small, dry skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan periodically, until they brown lightly and smell good. Transfer the seeds to a small plate to cool.

Combine the scallions, snow peas and carrot in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine the sugar, ginger, vinegar, sugar and oil.

Add the warm cooked rice to the vegetables. Add the cool hijiki and the vinaigrette, too. Toss well. Add the sesame seeds, the remaining 1/4 t salt and the pepper and toss again. Serve the salad warm, or chill it for 1 hours first.

:heart:
Z

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom