How do you make your pie-crust???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karaburun

Senior Cook
Hi everyone,

I love your amerikan recipes. They are so different to ours here.:rolleyes: I like especially pies. But there is my problem: I can´t get here ready mixtures for those crust.

Now my question: Is anyone here, who has a good (also tried) recipe for an original pie-crust dough???

At Saturday we have an Chefkoch (the german version from discuss cooking) meeting, and I will bring an original Pie with.

Can anyone help me..??

lovely greetings
Tanja

The easiest way to form a simple all-purpose shortcrust pie dough is simply remembers 3-2-1.

By weight, 3 parts flour, 2 parts fat, 1 part iced water. Place the flour in a bowl and rub in the fat until it looks like coarse breadcrumbs (otherwise know as 'mealy'. Additionally you can leave it a little coarser and the pastry will be flakier. Also you can do these steps in a food processor).

Add the iced water (you can use milk or cream, just ensure it is very cold, also the overall fat content will have to be reduced to account for the additional fat in the cream/milk, you can guesstimate this) and moisten the dough evenly by lifting the mixture.

Form the disc into a flat disc and refrigerate until quite cool. When it has cooled down you can take it out and roll it out on a lightly floured surface into the desired size. It also helps to chill your work surface (good old marble slab) and equipment as well.

This is the simple method I use, it saves having to remember recipes. Hope it helps.

Here is one I have been using for years and always turns out good and flakey. It's called Never fail pie crust.

Mix and chill for 1/2 hr. enough for 2 double crust.
3 cups flour
1/2 lb lard
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 Tlb. vinegar
5 Tlb. cold water
Mix the egg, vinegar and water together in a very sm container. Work the flour, lard and salt to crumble and then add egg mixture to form a ball and put in fridge for about 1/2 hr.
When ready to roll out,divide dough into 4 sections. use 2 sheets of wax paper to roll dough out in between the sheets. Add some flour to bottom wax paper, flatten dough some with your hands and lay on bottom of wax paper and turn over so both sides have some flour on the dough. put top wax paper on and roll a few times and then turn dough over and add more flour if need to. When you have the dough to the size you want peel back wax paper slowly and then fold bottom wax paper and dough and then lift dough to pie pan. Just peel the dough slowly. this is a very pliable dough and pretty easy to work with.

Wow!!

What a lot of different pie-crust doughs:mrgreen: So it´s my next problem? Which do I try at Saturday:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :LOL: ??

OK. That´s enough ideas to try.

Thank´s all for your help. Perhaps I can help you some day??:angel:

greetings from Germany
Tanja

hi, tanja! i saw in your signature that if anyone needed any original German recipes to ask you. i have been looking for a good sauerbraten recipe. i love my Dad's sauerbraten recipe, but want to try a few others. thank you very much for any info you could offer!:)

:) I think thumpershere2 recipes is the most fool proof and you get a really flaky crust its the recipe I first started using before I learned how to make a regular pie dough but I still like the vinegar and egg recipe the best.

My grandma's recipe calls for 1/3 cup of fat and 3-4 tsp ice water for every cup of flour...plus a pinch of salt.
I love lard, but generally use butter flavored Crisco, which gives the crust a nice color and good flavor. I have always used a wire pastry whisk to cut it into the flour, but I may try the food processor method one of these days.

Here's the basic recipe:
2 cups flour
2/3 cups Crisco
1/2 tsp salt
6-8 tsp ice water

*Hint: My family has always used a well-floured pastry cloth and a floured pastry sock for the rolling pin. These are available from some of the baking suppliers on line, not very expensive, and well worth buying. I also use the cloth for making homemade noodles for chicken and dumplings, or rolling out pizza crust. You just take it outside and shake it out after use, wrap it around the rolling pin, and put the whole thing in an empty plastic bread bag to store.

Also, check out my recipe for freezer pie crust, which is here someplace. It's one of the easiest and most delicious crusts I've ever made, and once you get through the initial mess, it's very convenient as well.

Last edited:
I´ll thank you all for helping me.

At Saturday I´ve made a blueberry pie +a banana. Great!
The cake was so rich on taste.

Thank´s. I´ll hope that I can all the recipes try...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :-p

greetings from Germany
Tanja:angel:

Back
Top Bottom