How much is lamb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carver922

Assistant Cook
Hello,
I am new to cooking lamb, I saw it in a cook book and thought I would give it a shot. How much is 8 lamb ribs. Since we are on the subject of how much things are, does anybody know also how much a 4 -6 pound duck is?

Carver, around here, lamb is $8-12 a pound...when you can find it. Too rich for my blood.
Besides, I have what's left of 350 lbs of venison in my freezer from last fall. Goodness knows what it cost a pound...my husband says, "Don't Ask!"
:neutral:

prices will vary by season and location. Lamb can be pricey (fancy cuts like a crown rack, or fine loin chops) It can also be moderate (shanks) or dirt cheap (shoulder chops and neck bones) THe fine quality is grand for roasting and grilling and will run as much as $8.99+ a pound. THe cheaper end can be as low as $1.59 a pound.

DUck tends to be sold frozen in my area and runs in the $2.99 + a pound range most of the time.

Good quality lamb is real nice med rare. Duck is all dark meat. Lamb goes well with garlic, rosemary, oregano, onion, mint, lemon. roast potatoes and a green.
Duck goes well with parsnip, orange, lingonberries, wild rice. Domestic duck tends to be fatty, so prick the skin as it roasts and drain off the fat. The skin will get nice and crispy.

Constance said:
Carver, around here, lamb is $8-12 a pound...when you can find it. Too rich for my blood.
Besides, I have what's left of 350 lbs of venison in my freezer from last fall. Goodness knows what it cost a pound...my husband says, "Don't Ask!"
:neutral:

LOLOLOLOL! The deer is cheap.
It's the hunting that is expensive!!:)

You got that right, pdswife. By the time you buy permits for 2 men for each season (we have 4 here in Southern Illinois), hunting gear, ammunition, etc, hunting is quite an investment.
But it's good bonding between my husband and the boy, and that is...Priceless.

Going to a butcher and buying in quantity will save you a great deal of money. For me, going to the Eastern Market in Detroit saves sometimes near $4 to $5 per pound over going to the corner grocery store.

pdswife and Constance: Being a hunter myself, yes it's expensive, especially start up costs. But i figure for me, i've been hunting for 16 years and in 5 years my daughters will be hunting, but they have the equipment already:whistling . So i think i will break even, (finally) in about 10 years.:mrgreen:

carver922 said:
Hello,
I am new to cooking lamb, I saw it in a cook book and thought I would give it a shot. How much is 8 lamb ribs. Since we are on the subject of how much things are, does anybody know also how much a 4 -6 pound duck is?

Why don't you contact your nearest supermarket/butcher and find out?

why didn't i think of that

ironchef said:
Why don't you contact your nearest supermarket/butcher and find out?

Well, I could drive down to Kroger's but my jeep is in the repair shop. I feel stupid calling Kroger's and asking the customer service desk how much lamb and duck is. But, I did anyway. And of course the customer service desk acted like they didn't know, so they patched me through to the meat department. They never picked up the phone and instead of anybody helping me out they all acted like it wasn't their problem. so i thought i would get on here and just ask. and I have had a lot of good replies. so thanks to everybody who actually helped out.

carver922 said:
Well, I could drive down to Kroger's but my jeep is in the repair shop. I feel stupid calling Kroger's and asking the customer service desk how much lamb and duck is. But, I did anyway. And of course the customer service desk acted like they didn't know, so they patched me through to the meat department. They never picked up the phone and instead of anybody helping me out they all acted like it wasn't their problem. so i thought i would get on here and just ask. and I have had a lot of good replies. so thanks to everybody who actually helped out.

Without knowing where you are located, how can anyone who may be relatively close to you help you to find out a price? Do you not realize that meat/seafood/produce etc. have different costs depending on where you live? Is Kroger's the ONLY place within close proximity to you that sells lamb or duck?

Now, if you had mentioned which city/state/county/etc. you are in, then maybe someone who lives there or close to you can actually let you know the prices in their area and then you could do a comparison. Sure you wrote it in your first post, but since you're the one asking for help, why would you make those who would try and help you have to research where you're from?

FYI 99.9% of stores that even HAVE a customer service department can either: a.) Look up the pricing on a computer system or b.) Call a clerk or manager to get a price check. If you had called them back, informed them that their meat department was not answering the phone and then asked them to do either a. or b. then they would've. That's their job. If you STILL encountered any problems with the customer service department then you could've asked to speak with a manager and he or she would've made sure that you got the price.

Last edited:
Robo was right - price is going to depend on the season, availability, the source, what your store normally stocks, their current inventory level, the age of the product, the cut, and your location.

As for getting an answer from someone in customer service - that might be good for canned goods, but for meat and seafood you really need to talk to someone in the meat or seafood department to find out what is available and the current price. Looking up a price on the computer generally isn't going to tell you if what you want is in stock ... and many times if the price has been reduced in the meat department it will not be reflected in the price database - the meat is "discounted" at the time the product is "rung up". Save yourself some trouble - just ask the person that answers the phone for the meat department and go straight to the only people who can really help you.

The best time to get someone on the phone in the meat department is between 9am - 2pm, or after 7pm. The worst time to try to get someone on the phone is between 4pm-7pm - the customer standing there at the counter gets priority over someone on the phone.

Call and if nobody in the meat department answers, wait a few (5-10) minutes and try again. If you still can't get an answer after 2-3 trys tell the person answering the phone at the store (which will generally be someone in customer service) that you can't get anyone to answer ... and eventually someone will.

This information comes from someone who should know what he is talking about - my son who is the asst. mgr. of the meat and seafood department of a large store.

Last time I bought lamb in the Midwest US, it was about $12/lb for the leg meat. Funny story about that... I asked for two pounds lamb shish and the butcher tells me, "Oh, you sure you want that much? Lamb is much richer than beef." To which I replied, "My husband's from Turkey... he can put away more lamb in one sitting than a cowboy can beef." :LOL: The butcher just said, "Oh."

I don't know where you're posting from, but Sam's Club usually has a boneless leg of lamb for around $4 a pound, and lovely loin chops for about $8 a pound. It is New Zealand lamb and we have never been disappointed with the quality. Good luck!

Hmm!

To state the obvious, the price of lamb (like everything else) depends where you are. It also depends on the quailty. Where I live (in Beijing, China) the local lamb is not too expensive. But it is SWAT Team Trained and just as tough. You can also get lamb from Inner Mongolia, which is also not too expensive, and the toughness is merely military standard (and that's tough enough, believe me!)
So, we buy imported frozen lamb from New Zealand. That is jolly near perfect, succulent and tender. But the price in Beijing -- one arm and half a leg!

Sadly, we cannot get Welsh lamb. That would be even nicer.

Last edited:
when you say lamb ribs, i guess you mean lamb rib chops. probably the most expensive cut of lamb (do they sell lamb tenderloins?). loin chops are similar in flavor, and a little less pricey. i've found new zealand lamb to be good but a little stronger flavored than american lamb.
i say you only live once this time around, so just go out and buy the darn things. try to get a whole rack, or at least rib chops that are 2 to 3 bones still together. they're so small when cut into individual chops that they dry out too much, imo. also, i think that if you're gonna lay out the dough, you should try to enjoy them as simply as possible. just s&p, a drizzle of evoo, and quickly cooked medium rare (no more than medium) under the broiler. if you want to get fancy, french the bones, and make a persille sauce (fresh parsley, raw garlic, evoo or butter) to go on them in the last minute of broiling.

this is making me hungry. i need to go back to the halal meat market at the farmers market very soon.

Back
Top Bottom