Fav pasta shape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
Hi everyone,

I know this one is a tough to answer (I can't pick one, let alone 5 so I won't ask you to pick just 1 or 2 :mrgreen:)...

But (if you eat pasta) what are your top favorite shapes, varities, or even flavours (spinach, saffron, squid/cuttlefish ink, etc) of pasta?

I like faralle or bowtie pasta; it depends upon the dish, of course, but short, neat shapes are less messy. And I can really make a mess!:ROFLMAO:

Penne is good, too, especially mini penne. I also like to use shells for some things. When I was growing up my mom used to make what she called goulash, although I later learned it bore no resemblance to real goulash. It was basically burger browned with onions in tomato sauce, mixed into macaroni or shells and a can of corn. To this day I have a soft spot for comfort stuff like that.

i love it all but my but my favorites are angelhair and my homemade spinach cheese ravioli.

I buy only Spaghettini, thinner than spaghetti but much thicker than angel hair. It has to be cooked al dente or I won't eat it.
Also I prefer my pasta 'naked', just lightly tossed with olive oil and just a few ingredients. I don't like tomato-based or cream-based sauces as it drowns out the pasta.

The best pasta I had recently at a restaurant was spaghetti tossed in olive oil, chili, garlic, white wine, and fresh scallops. YUM!

Read what Rob Babcock said, but put my name there instead of his. seriously he said everything I would have said :) Thanks for doing the typing for me Rob :mrgreen:

cooking for one? rotini or penne; cooking a potful? angel hair to linguini. whole wheat? sure. flax seed/spinach, you betcha! make my own? twice. buy fresh? often.

salted water, no rinse, dress with sauce immediately. (rinse for a pasta salad sure.)

I love angel hair with something lite such as evoo, garlic,parsley..When I make my mom's and m-i-l's sauce, It needs a heavy pasta to hold it, so homemade ravioli, penne, rigatoni, are what I use..I like to make home made pasta, but dry is perfect for the heavy sauces and great when you want pasta and just don't have time to make your own or the dish would not work with fresh.

kadesma:)

Looks like I have company :mrgreen:, as angel hair is my favourite pasta too! Followed closely by gnocchi, fusilli col buco (long threads of fusilli), gemelli, and farfalle...yum-yum I think I know what's on the diner menu tonight!

Linguini
Capellini
Penne
Orrichietti (love it in my Italian sausage, ricotta, mozzarella, egg, touch of tomato sauce, etc. casserole)
Rotini

I guess that's 5 :neutral: - and for good luck Pappardelle

Most of the pasta we eat here at home is Spaghetti. I have some Basil growing, and I plan on introducing PeppA and her Mom (not sure about the boys yet) to the joys of homemade Pesto.

That said, I have soft spots for Linguine, Fettucine, Tortellini, and a few others.

I may have to do a Linguine/Tortellini combo with the Pesto.

AllenMI said:
Most of the pasta we eat here at home is Spaghetti. I have some Basil growing, and I plan on introducing PeppA and her Mom (not sure about the boys yet) to the joys of homemade Pesto.

That said, I have soft spots for Linguine, Fettucine, Tortellini, and a few others.

Allen, my 4 year old grandsons favorite pasta is pasta with pesto..He loves tortellini pesto salad, with tomato and extra pine nuts..He even likes diced tomato on his pasta and pesto..I bet your family will love your homemade pesto.:)
kadesma

AllenMI said:

We went through a period where all my son wanted for breakfast was cheese tortellini - twas fine by me! Sometimes he wanted a little butter but most of the time it was just cooled.

Pasta is my favorite comfort food!
I love it all, but here are a couple of favs:
*ravioli (especially the cheese variety, topped with alfredo (with a hint of nutmeg) and fresh romano on top
*linguine with most meat sauces
*tri-color rotini that has pepper in it, tossed into a pasta salad with sliced black olives, marinated artichoke hearts, roasted red and yellow bell peppers and a smooth red wine vinaigrette.

i love small shells. those are my comfort food. when i was younger my mom boiled them, of course and fried them in a pan and then added ketchup. i dont know why but i love it!

i also love penne and beef ravoli. . .the only noodles i really dont like is elbows for some reason. . .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom