Heavy Whipping Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckieazn87

Assistant Cook
Hey, I'm a new member to this forum. I've just recently developped an interest in cooking, so I have very little knowledge and experience in cooking. I have a question regarding heavy whipping cream. I can't just seem to get it to whip into that whip cream texture that it should be. I don't have any of those fancy machines, so I had to do it by hand, but it didn't work. Is there an easier and faster way to do it, besides using those machines?

it's all about the elbow grease....same thing with a meringue. you not only have to whip it, but whip it fast. if you don't have a kitchen aid or hand mixer, your hand and a whisk is the only way to do it.

make sure you use a stainless steel or copper bowl too.

I think it goes faster with a pretty stiff whisk rather than a really floppy one. You can get little hand-held mixers for pretty cheap if you're going to be whipping stuff often. I just do it by hand sometimes because I can pretend that was my cardio for the day! Just like kneading is an upper-body work-out. ;)

Whipping cream by hand is possible, but very difficult; definitely not for the faint of heart. Don't bother with the little hand mixers you get at the dollar store; I have found them to be almost completely useless. Just get a run-of-the-mill wire whisk, put the cream, right out of the fridge, (it is easier if it is cold) in a relatively small bowl, and just keep whipping until either it whips or your heart explodes, whichever comes first. As for meringue, I don't recommend it; it is nearly impossible to whip meringue properly by hand, and you're likely to give yourself a coronary in the process. Do your heart a favor and buy a hand mixer; they can be had for a mere $40.00 Canadian.

It helps if you cook for a family, rope in help, children are particularly handy for whisking, you can line em up and as one tires put the next one on, that's what my mum used to do. I don't have kids, so I have got an electric hand held egg beater thingie, it was really cheap and much easier!

I do prefer mayonnaise made by wisk though, and usually do that for parties so I have help! Never walk into my kitchen asking "is their anything you would like me to do?" expecting to be handed a glass of wine and being told to relax, doesn't happen!

"I think that if you would get a heart attack from just whipping cream or a meringue by hand, then you have much larger problems"

I am 23 and in excellent shape, so no, I won't get a heart attack. However, given the amount of exertion involved (my head turned bright red) I don't think older people should be doing it; it's like shovelling snow, NOT good for your health :)

wow. you really are doing a cardio workout. keep it all in the wrist - still tiring, but not strenuous. It's kind of fun to prove things can still be done the oooold-fashioned way, don't you think? Although it wouldn't be quite so much work if we could get the really heavy cream :cry:
I tried to whip regular "heavy" whipping cream to piping consistency once because I'd seen European confectioners do it - I made butter! :oops:

Whipping Cream

I've also learned NOT to buy the "Ultra Pasturized" heavy whipping cream. It doesn't whip nearly as well as the "real" stuff.

I've done it by hand...didn't have a heart attack...but WOW was my arm tired!

Also keeping the movements all in the wrist really helps if you can remember to do that!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom