Fresh to Bottle Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

statjunk

Assistant Cook
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and came here because I have a question about cooking. Ironic isn't it.

I am trying to make pesto sauce and all the recipies call for 3 cups of fresh basil. How can I make the conversion to chopped basil that you buy in a container.

Thanks
Tom

Welcome, statjunk! I've used a conversion of about 1 Tbsp fresh to 1 tsp dried before, but I think for pesto it's pretty important that you use fresh basil. I don't think you'd get anywhere near the right texture or taste with dried.

Thanks for the info.

Then here is another question. When they say 3 cups of fresh basil is that a cup stuffed or just sort of put the basil in there until it reaches the top?

Thanks
Tom

Thanks a lot for the info. I appreciate it. I will be around since I do a lot cooking but I usually just wing it.

Thanks

Tom

Tom! Welcome to our site!!!
As you can see, we're a helpful bunch and we really enjoy chatting about food, recipes and other fun things.

I hope your basil worked out well. Do remember, basil is a really easy herb to grow. If you love it (and who doesn't?) you may want to try to plant some and keep it on hand for times like these when you need it. (And, you don't have to spend any more money at the store, which is always a good thing!)

Hi Tom,

I agree with jkath. Basil is really easy to grow. I'm in southern MI, and I have two good-sized plants about 18" tall right now. I'm planning on making some pesto here soon.

The pesto turned out pretty good. I made two different batches. One with parsley and one without. I actually ended up likeing the one with parsley just a little bit better. They were both good.

I had to make my own pesto sauce because for some reason I can't seem to find the McCormick packages anymore in the the grocery store. I cook a lot so that was a real convenience. It didn't take me too much longer to make it fresh but it did take longer.

I don't know about growing it. Maybe next year. Otherwise I will just buy it. It only ended up costing me about $1 for enough to make two large batches.

Thanks again for all the info.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom