Imitation Rum & Imitation Coconut Extract

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Resistance_Joy

Assistant Cook
Hello, all. I know that you're supposed to double the amount when substituting imitation vanilla extract for pure vanilla extract, but what about imitation rum extract and imitation coconut extract? I have a recipe that calls for 2 teaspoons each of rum and coconut extract; however, all I've been able to find in stores is the imitation variety.

Two questions:

1. Is there such a thing as pure rum or pure coconut extract?

2. Should I double the amounts since I have only imitation extracts?

Thanks for your help!

I'm definitely not an expert in these matters, but I did a search and found a site called spicebarn.com. The only extracts I saw offered in pure form were vanilla, almond, and anise. I think when a recipe calls for rum or coconut extract (remember this is just my opinion) they mean imitation.

:) Barbara

imitation rum/coconut extracts

Hi ... thanks for your input! I've been searching the Web too and all I find is reference to "rum extract" or "coconut extract" without the word "imitation" mentioned. Hmmm ... thanks for taking the time to reply!

When I use a recipe that calls for coconut extract ..I use coconut milk...like the one that comes in a can for drinks and cooking....Goya is a good brand. You can find it in the orential foods and mexican foods... and in the spice area too.

Hope this helps!

Rum extract vrs. the real thing

Aloha all, question for everyone! I have found a KILLER cake recipie that is absolutley WONDERFUL but the only problem with it is it calls for rum. Being 16 I am unable to buy the rum! My question is should I persuade my parents to go get me some or will rum extract do the job.

Side note - The rum is for flavor, all the alcohol cooks out so it isnt like I'm going to be boozin it up.

-Thyme

Hi Thyme,

Yup, rum extract will work just fine. I've read that the amount to add depends on what type of run your recipe needs:

For every 1 tbsp dark rum use 2 tbsp extract
For every 5 tbsp light rum use 1 tbsp extract

If the recipe depends of the amount of liquid then you can just top the rest up with water. Hope that answers your question.

Iain.

Back
Top Bottom