looking for PLAIN pound cake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramydam

Cook
Not lemon-lavender, or orange-honey-ginger, etc., though I'm sure those are all good. Just plain, basic, easily freezable and amenable to any topping pound cake. My old standby, epicurious.com is completely failing me. (All my cookbooks are buried in a box somewhere and I want to bake! I seem to be using you guys for a lot of move-in help :ermm: ) Recipes?

started unpacking another box and found my 1856 "Improved Housewife" with the following pound cake recipe:
Rub one pound of sugar and three-quarters of butter to a cream; add the well-beaten yolks of ten eggs; then the whites; and stir in, gradually, a pound of sifted flour.

Hmm... I'll probably still browse through those sites you linked. Thanks!

found this one from Paula Dean

Pound Cake Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
3 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar and cream together. Add the sour cream and mix until incorporated. Sift the baking soda and flour together. Add to the creamed mixture alternating with eggs, beating each egg 1 at a time. Add the vanilla and pour the mixture into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.

found another one

Classic Pound Cake

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
8 large eggs, at room temperature
2 large eggs yolks, at room temperature
2 tablespoons milk, at room temperature
4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups unsalted butter (4 sticks), at room temperature, plus more for the pan
2 3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon lightly packed finely grated lemon zest
Equipment: A 10 by 4 1/2-inch tube pan, 12-cup Bundt pan, or two 9 by 5-inch loaf pans

Place a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour the pan of your choice.
Sift the flour and salt into a medium bowl and set aside. Whisk the whole eggs, yolks, milk, and the vanilla together in a 4-cup measuring cup or bowl, and set aside.
In a heavy duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter at a medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Gradually pour in the sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, to cream and lighten the butter. (This should take about 3 minutes.) Once all the sugar is added, turn the machine off and scrape down the sides of the bowl and paddle with a rubber spatula. Continue to beat the butter mixture until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the lemon zest and beat for 30 seconds more. Turn the machine off and scrape the sides of the bowl again to assure even incorporation of the ingredients.
Turn the mixer to its lowest setting. Gradually pour in the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, and beat the batter for 30 seconds. Gradually add the egg mixture. (It should take about a minute to pour all of it into the batter.) Remove the bowl from the mixer, scrape any batter off the paddle, and finish stirring the egg mixture into the batter with a rubber spatula. Take care not to over mix the batter, but make sure that you scrape the bottom of the bowl to evenly incorporate all of the ingredients.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth over the top with a spatula. Put the cake in the oven and reduce the temperature to 325 degrees F. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, and the top springs back when lightly pressed, about 1 hour and 30 minutes, for the tube or Bundt pans; and 50 minutes to 1 hour for loaf pans.
Cool the cake, in the pan, on a rack, for 10 to 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a flat plate or cardboard. Re-invert the cake and set it right side up on the rack to cool completely. If not serving the same day, wrap in plastic wrap and store at room temperature, for 4 to 5 days or freeze for 1 month

Here's one that is supposed to taste like Entenmann's. I've had it on my "to-try" list forever and would love to hear another review.

Entenmann's Pound Cake

1/2 lb butter
2 cups powdered sugar
3 large eggs
1 2/3 cups flour
1 tablespoon lemon extract or vanilla

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Spray an 8-1/2 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
Cream the butter with the powdered sugar on high speed of mixer for 5 minutes.
Add 1 egg and then a little flour, beating 2 minutes.
Add 2nd egg and half of remaining flour and beat 2 minutes.
Add 3rd egg, the rest of the flour and the extract, beating 2 minutes.
Spread thick and creamy batter evenly in prepared loaf dish.
Bake 65 minutes or until tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool in the baking dish on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
Remove from the dish.
Slice into 1/2 inch thick slices.

Here is a version of the original pound cake - so-called because it calls for a pound of flour, a pound of sugar, a pound of eggs and a pound of butter.

Purely Pound Cake

1 Lb Unsalted Butter, softened
1 Lb Sugar (2⅛ C)
1 Lb Eggs, separated (12 eggs)
1/4 C Brandy
2 tsp Rose Water (optional)
1/4 tsp Nutmeg (⅛ tsp freshly grated)
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Lb Flour, sifted 3 times (3½ C)
Mixed berries and fruit, garnish

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Butter 2 (6-cup) loaf pans and line them with parchment or waxed paper.

In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer), cream the butter until very light and fluffy, about 10 minutes.

Add the sugar and mix. Working 2 at a time, add the egg yolks, mixing well between each addition. The mixture should be very fluffy.

Add the brandy, rose water, nutmeg and salt and mix to incorporate. Working in 3 batches, add the flour, mixing just until combined and scraping down the bowl between additions.

In a clean dry bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add to the batter and mix well, until no streaks of egg white remain. If necessary, fold in the last few streaks by hand.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans and smooth the tops. Bake until golden brown and split on the top and a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean (a few crumbs are okay), 70 to 80 minutes.

Let cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Knock the cake out of the pan and let cool (do not remove the parchment paper; it helps the cake stay moist).

Cookie Monster said:
Here's one that is supposed to taste like Entenmann's. I've had it on my "to-try" list forever and would love to hear another review.

This one looks the simplest for tonight. Thanks for your help everybody!
(Cookie Monster, I'll let you know in a couple hours how it tastes.) :chef:

ramydam said:
This one looks the simplest for tonight. Thanks for your help everybody!
(Cookie Monster, I'll let you know in a couple hours how it tastes.) :chef:

How was it, Ramydan? I am on pins and needles here:turned: .

I recently read this article & saved it for future reference. There are some easy quick recipe ideas as well.

This is a terrific poundcake to serve alongside the best sliced peaches you can find...

Five time-shaving desserts using frozen or fresh poundcake:

1. Strawberry trifle (layers of poundcake, vanilla pudding, fruit and whipped cream, drizzled with sherry or orange juice).
2. Lemon curd trifle (substitute lemon curd for the pudding).
3. Layer ice cream and poundcake slices, freeze, then slice.
4. Toast poundcake slices and top with sweetened berries.
5. Cut cake into cubes, toss them with liqueur of your choice, and place in a goblet with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream and fresh fruit or chocolate sauce on top.

The Best Poundcake
Solid vegetable shortening for greasing the pan
1 cup flour, plus more for dusting the pan
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
5 large eggs
1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
1 container (8 ounces) sour cream, room temperature
1 cup evaporated milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Lightly grease a 10-inch tube pan with vegetable shortening, then dust it with flour. Shake out excess flour. Set tube pan aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place butter and oil in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium-low speed until creamy, 1 minute.
Add sugar and beat until creamy, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating each until the yolks of the eggs have just been incorporated.

Stop machine and scrape down side of bowl with a rubber spatula. Add cake mix, 1 cup flour and the sour cream, evaporated milk and vanilla. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat until batter is thick and well blended, 1½ to 2 minutes longer, scraping down side of bowl again if necessary. Pour batter into prepared tube pan, smoothing it out with a rubber spatula.

Bake cake on center rack of preheated oven until it is golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed with a finger, 60 to 65 minutes.

Remove tube pan from oven and place it on a wire rack to cool 20 minutes. Run a dinner knife around edge of cake, shake it gently to loosen it and invert it onto a rack. Allow cake to cool completely, 20 minutes longer.

Makes 12 servings.

Notes: Store this cake, loosely covered with plastic wrap or in a cake saver, at room temperature for up to 1 week. Or freeze it, wrapped in aluminum foil, for up to 6 months. Thaw cake overnight in the refrigerator before serving. Both tube pans and bundt pans have holes in the center. Bundt pans have fluted curving sides. The sides of a tube pan, sometimes referred to as an angel food cake pan, are straight. Tube pans sometimes come with removable bottoms.

Tribune Media Services
Appeared in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on July 31, 2005.

POUND CAKE

CREAM TOGETHER:

3 STICKS MARGARINE

2 CUPS SUGAR

ADD 6 EGGS BEATING WELL

ADD 1 CAN CONDENSED MILK

AND 2 1/4 CUPS FLOUR

ADD 3 TEASPOONS VANILLA

BAKE AT 325

We use this one in our restaurant for our strawberry shortcakes. Simple and fast to make.

Cookie Monster said:
How was it, Ramydan? I am on pins and needles here:turned: .
I forgot I didn't have powdered sugar! Got some and baked it this evening, though. Very good, but it's been too long since I've had Entemann's to say whether it tastes the same. The batter was very thick, but I don't think I got it quite as well beaten as I was supposed to - the volume was significantly less than expected and I think that's why. Yummy, though!
I'm trying your recipe next time, Kaylinda. Another nice simple one!
Thank you, everyone, for all the help! I'm sure I'll use many if not all the recipes at some point - pound cake just seems the kind of thing one should keep on hand for unexpected guests, or unexpected perfect peaches!

I bought some fresh Colorado peaches and decided I needed a pound cake to go under them :LOL: I made this cake this morning. It is really good (and easy)... The recipe comes from a Delta, Colorado Baptist Church cookbook.

7-Up Pound Cake

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups flour
8 ounces 7-Up
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon butter flavoring

Cream shortening, butter and sugar together. Add eggs. Alternate flour, 7-Up, and flavors while adding into cream mixture and blending. Bake in a greased bundt pan at 325 degrees for one hour and 30 minutes. My note: I'm at an altitude of 8600 feet and used these directions. My cake was done in an hour and five minutes.

Callie,

looks good..I'd have never thought of 7-up...Will give it a try as we have 3 trees loaded with peaches!!!
kadesma:LOL:

kadesma said:
Callie,

looks good..I'd have never thought of 7-up...Will give it a try as we have 3 trees loaded with peaches!!!
kadesma:LOL:

I read your message so quickly, almost thought you were going to say you had three trees loaded wth 7-up :LOL:

Callie, thank you. Pound cake & Peaches (or blueberries - & ice cream) sound soooo good. Couldn't resist sharing another heart-pounding (?) pound cake recipe I've had tucked away. (Have another for strawberry pound cake, if anyone would like to give it a try.)

Toasted Pound Cake with Mascarpone and Amaretto
Serving Size : 6
Giada De Laurentiis
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes

1 pound cake (10 3/4 ounce), cut crosswise into 12 slices
3/4 cup apricot preserves
3 tablespoons almond flavored liqueur (recommended: Amaretto)
2/3 cup mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the pound cake slices on a large heavy baking sheet and toast in oven for 7 to 10 minutes until the slices turn golden brown. Alternatively, toast the pound cake slices in an electric toaster until golden.

Stir the apricot preserves and amaretto in a small bowl to blend. Place 1 cake slice atop each of 6 plates.

Spoon the mascarpone cheese atop the cake slices. Arrange the remaining cake slices offset atop the bottom cake slices. Spoon the apricot mixture over.

Sprinkle with the almonds and serve immediately.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom