I Got 2 New Cookbooks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
I came home from church last night to a very nice surprise from hubby. He bought me 2 cookbooks yesterday. One is called Peaches and Other Juicy Fruits by Olwen Woodier & the other is Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House Cookbook by Pat Mitchamore. Miss Bobo owned a boarding house in Lynchburg, Tennessee from 1908 until she died in 1983 at the age of 101. I've started reading the boarding house cookbook last night & it is filled with wonderful traditional southern recipes. I can't wait to finish reading it & get started on the one about peaches!

The boarding house cookbook must be especially interesting. I remember my mom talking about the boarding house where she and her sister lived before she married my dad. Not only the people who lived there ate, but many others came and ate also. I've heard of restaurants serving boarding house style, but haven't been to one. Would be interesting!!! But the peach book sounds good too. I just bought two of Lora Brody's books - and I think I read about her on this site - can't remember for sure. They are nice and I will give them to my grandaughters when they are old enough to start cooking.

How sweet of your husband to buy cookbooks for you! I'll bet the boarding house one is a real treasure. And I'll bet the other one is "just peachy"!

The boarding house book is a really good read. Not only does it have great recipes it has many stories. From what I've read, the boarding house is still serving food but no longer housing people. I'm trying to talk hubby into a trip to Tennessee to at least see the house & maybe have dinner there sometime.

Where in Tennessee is the boarding house? My son lives in Knoxville and I have a friend in Maryville, my sister lives in Cleveland, and my brother in Memphis. Perhaps I could visit the boarding house on one of my visits.

My niece (DH's niece) attended her DH's family reunion and bought the family cook book. I can't wait to see it. DH's sister just returned home yesterday from there (North Carolina) and has my book.

Cookbooks --

I get them for techiques rather than recipes. I don't use recipes, but I like to look at techniques.

Recent books are French Cuisine, from CostCo -- mostly French Provencal cooking, basic techniques.

Mediterranian -- also from CostCo. I was looking for Italian, but found this book incorporated the broader spectrum of Greek, Sicilian, Sardinian . . . a point of departure for cooking.

Also a book on herb gardens.

At this point in cooking, I look at "approaches" and ingredients. I never follow a recipe. Nahhhhhhhh, I don't bake. I think baking is about recipes.

But, meat, fish, veggies -- it's about approaches, techniques, styles, regions -- conventions in herbs/spices and protocols in cooking.

crewsk said:
I came home from church last night to a very nice surprise from hubby. He bought me 2 cookbooks yesterday. One is called Peaches and Other Juicy Fruits by Olwen Woodier & the other is Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House Cookbook by Pat Mitchamore. Miss Bobo owned a boarding house in Lynchburg, Tennessee from 1908 until she died in 1983 at the age of 101. I've started reading the boarding house cookbook last night & it is filled with wonderful traditional southern recipes. I can't wait to finish reading it & get started on the one about peaches!
Cool! Thats sounds very interesting Crewsk.:chef:

Thanks, Crewsk, for the site. It has some very interesting stuff that I will certainly look at.

Back
Top Bottom