[REC, Norway] Fårikål (lamb and cabbage)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tknaps

Assistant Cook
Okidokie, I promised I'd try to post some norwegian recipes when introducing myself on this forum. Guess it's time to get started :)

Thought I might try to write a few words about norwegian cuisine before I start to give you an idea of what most of these recipes will be like:

Most traditional norwegian dishes are quite simplistic. Few and simple ingredients and very limited in the spice department (read: salt and pepper). The big TV chefs seem to prefer to call this style of cooking "rustic and traditional" to somehow justify charging $30 per plate...or at least that's my theory :LOL:. The boiled potato accompanies most meat and fish dishes (also carrots to a large extent). We also use quite a lot of cured, dried or smoked meats and/or fish.

Oh yeah, and we're metric - sorry about that! :LOL:

Anyway, let's get on with it! I'm going to start off with the dish that many norwegians regard as our "national dish". It's scaringly simple containing only two main ingredients, but don't be fooled - this stuff is tasty! :chef: Then name of the dish is "fårikål". ("Får" = lamb/sheep, "i" = in, "kål" = "cabbage".) Let me know what you think should you decide to try it! There's a funny page about the dish in english here.
(I have no idea where he/she came up with that alternative name for it :wacko:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fårikål
(serves 4)

10271.jpg

• 1.5 kg of lamb from neck, shank or breast, together with the bones, cut into serving-size pieces
  • 1.5 kg of garden cabbage
  • 4 ts salt
  • 4 ts whole black peppercorns
  • 3-5 dl of boiling water
  • serve with boiled potatoes (optional)
First off, you might be tempted to use finer pieces of lamb here, but don't. The fat and bone greatly contributes to the taste!

The idea is to create layers of lamb and cabbage in a pot. First cut the cabbage into segments. Start with a layer of lamb. You should try to put the pieces of lamb with the most fat on them at the bottom to avoid any risk of burning (alternatively throw a nob of butter in there). Add a layer of cabbage and sprinkle with salt and pepper in between the layers. Continue like this until you've filled your pot. Make sure you finish off with a layer of cabbage.

If you don't fancy chewing on peppercorns you can put them all in a bag of cloth or something. If you'd like a thicker sauce, sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of flour between the layers as well.

Next, just pour over the boiling water and leave it to simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours until the meat is tender. Some argue that this dish tastes even better when reheated the next day, so don't be afraid of leftovers.

This sounds really delicious and ultimately low-carb. Have never done any Norwegian dishes - looking forward to seeing more! Thanks!

Hi,

You have just touched my taste buds. I love lamb (being british) and I love cabbage (german Hubby) Yummy Yummy, welcome with all your receipes.

Love Susi

Back
Top Bottom