Remembering........What Do You Remember?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tweedee

Head Chef
What do you remember about the prices of things when you were growing up compared to know?

When I was a child.........

> A bottle of soda pop was only .10 - cents
> A candy bar was only .05 - cents
> A lunch size bag of potato chips were .05 - cents
> A piece of bazooka buble gum was .1 - cent
> A loaf of wonder bread was .25 - cents
> A carton of milk at school was .05 - cents
> An ice-cream bar was .05 - cents
> School lunch was .30 - cents

Tweedee,

I don't remember prices, but I do remember
rationing
books with stamps that you used for gas, butter, sugar etc.
My uncle in Hawaii during Pearl Harbor
Listening to Kate Smith sing God Bless America on the radio. Being able to leave your doors unlocked during the day, my grandfather as block warden during the war and the lights out drills...Mostly I remember, My grandma's garden with all kinds of fruits and veggies, the corner market, not a super market mom and pop type and them letting people charge til payday..them giving the kids a piece of bubble gum, big vast jars filled with emense dill pickles, bins of rice, beans, peas, bread fresh from the truck, roller skates, ice skating, eating just picked cherries til we were red down our chins and hands from them..Mom and dad and the hugs and kisses each night after we said our prayers for those at war and ourselves..
kadesma:)

i remember gas being 89 cents a gallon.
i don't remember what milk was... i think 99 cents
a pack of cigarettes was 1.10. i know this cause my
grandmother always sent me to the store to get them
for her.
bread was about 45 cents a loaf.
sugar i think was 80 cents for a 5 pound bag
i could be wrong about that though.
eggs were probably 25 cents a carton.
heck our house was only about 28,000 if even.

Comic book-10 cents (Little Lulu, Richi Rich and Archy(sp?) were my favs.

School lunch/milk-25 cents

Pack of cigs-25 cents

Childrens's matinee movie-10 cents (with 25 cents you can get a movie and a whole bunch of candy.)

Ice cream cone-5 cents a scoop.

Movies were a quarter. A soft drink in a bottle was a nickle. Gas was always less than $0.20 per gallon. My first new car cost less than $1,900.00.

Tuition for my first year of college was less than $1,000.00.

I remember all that too..and when in the 6th grade we cut a record (a small 45 I guess it was) and it was mailed to my brother who at that time was in the thick of it someware out in the pacific. !944 or 45

gas wars in North Carolina in "56" 14 cents per gal.

I remember when you said yes to your mother or father and got up and did what you were asked right now, not because you were paid but because you Loved your parents :rolleyes: , And may I add didn't like that willow tree much out back !:(

When saying you were sorry was all that was needed :( , and not needing a Lawyer to do it! :huh:

When you could leave your house or car unlocked and not worry about weather you had anything left while you were gone !:ohmy:

When your word and a handshake were enough !:ohmy:

When one paycheck per Family was plenty to make it by and retire! :(

Oh and prices my 1970 Ford Maverick Brand New Cost $1795.00:ohmy:

Roller Skating on Tuesday nights cost Two Wheat Pennies !:huh:

YMCA Membership Cost $10.00 a Year !:ohmy:

Golf Fees for a Summer cost $35.00 play as much as you like and on a nice 18 hole golf course.:huh:

You could get 10 hamburgers for $1.00 at Bikes, Zips, Henrys, or McDonalds !:ohmy:

Boy, are we getting old!!! I'll add -- remember when VW advertised a water-tight bug for under $1000. Not kidding, and I'm "only" 50.

Remember when you could sit in your car and had lots of room ?:-p

When familys sat down to eat around a table "TOGETHER"and at the "SAME" time!:ohmy:

When a Good time meant Mom pulled out the Board games and we played as a family !:)

When Dad said lets go fishing or Mom had a piece of penny candy to give you!:rolleyes:

When you went across town to play baseball and didn't worry about getting hurt !:huh:

And I am only going to be 45 next month !:ohmy:
And last but not lease when men had "WISDOM" and "COMMON SENSE" :wacko:

I don't remember a lot of prices... but, I remember that when I was 7 years old that my dad owned a gas station.. on saturdays I'd come in and wash all the windows of the cars. I'm sure I did a horrid job!!! At the end of the day I was given 25 cents because I worked so hard. I thought it was a lot of money!! lololol!

It was then !

And how about the worst thing to worry about was what color was my next pair of shoes:ohmy: .

When the milkman delivered milk and eggs and juice to your home.

when a Glass Bottle of soda was 12 ozs. and cost .10 and a pack of baseball cards cost 10 cents and had Baseball cards, a round metal token of a player, and a stick of gum ! :cool:

This just may be the strangest memory here. I remember going with my mother to the corner meat market to select the chicken she wanted. It was still alive and the butcher killed it and prepared it for cooking. She wore gloves, heels and a hat to do her shopping. I also remember having to cover our windows with heavy drapery or blankets when my baby sister was sick because there was a blackout before the war was over. I suppose I must have been about 3 1/2. I also remember those perms from hades. The cords and rods hung from the sky(not really) but way up and you had to sit there while the heat curled your hair. I didn't get one, but I saw some who did. I'm terribly claustrophobic so I would have had to keep uncurled hair.

As a kid in the US, I remember when my dad's company had a contract in Waterloo, Iowa at John Deere - we stayed in an ugly apartment that had an orange, naugahyde sofa. I went to a wonderful school for 5th grade that year (Edison Elementary). I had a teacher for Math, Mr. Muller, who was also our gym teacher. If you wore the same colour socks as Mr. Muller (on gym days), you had to do two extra laps around the playground. My mom would do our laundry at a local laundrette, and I'd get 10 cents to go and spend. I'd stand in front of the candy aisle with that coin in my hot, sweaty hand, and contemplate all of my choices. It felt good to have so many possibilities. There was Dairy Queen next door to the supermarket and laundrette that had a contest that summer - you'd buy something and get a scratch off card that maybe would get you some fries or a Sundae. The excitement! Kitty corner from all of that was a Sunoco station where, once a week, a big pink bus from the library would send a bus. I had my own library card, and the first time I climbed up into that bus I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Just the idea of it, all those books on a bus! I read the whole Laura Ingalls Wilder series that summer. Life was good. Oh, but those were wonderful times. We also were in South Africa, where my cousins were buying rocket ice-pops for ONE CENT. Even at the age of 8 I couldn't get over that value for money! My dad had a crew cut, wore aviator sun glasses and striped shirts and we had a blue Chevvy. -Sandyj

Sandyj you should get together with Barbara she loves Laura Ingalls Wilder. I grew up in Ottumwa Iowa, John Deere Plant there as well. My Father worked for them for 40 years ! And I have been to the Waterloo Tractor Plant many times. Perhaps I seen you once.

Sunbeam Bread was always baking as we went over the bridge and right over the factory the smell was heaven sent!

Saturday Cartoons were the most.

And roller skating was .50 cents, that included the skete rental

The public swimming pool cost only .25 cents to swim all day

postage was only .03 cents to mail a letter

kites were only .15 cents but i enjoyed making my own kite out of news paper and tree limbs. I just had to buy the string which was .3 cents for a spool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom