Pressure Cooker - Yes or No

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brooksy

Sous Chef
As a kid (back in the olden days when Noah coached the Jerusalum Juggernauts) I can remember Nan & Mum using pressure cookers as an everyday thing.

Their cooking was always better than mine (today) but DW is a real good cook (I wanna get fed).

Is a pressure cooker a worthwhile purchase?

Does anyone use one with monotonous regularity?

I am looking at purchasing an 8 litre pot, but DW keeps hitting me when I deviate down that particular aisle.

Should I bite the bullet & purchase or forget it?

I do not use it with monotonous regularity but, still, i adore mine.

I use it mostly to quick cook things that ordinarily take a long time (the anti-crock pot, I guess). Dry beans, brisket, stews ... stuff like that.

I have a couple of pressure cooker cookbooks that basically say you can cook anything it in (broccoli, eggs, chicken soup) but frankly I can probably cook those things faster and easier just on the stove top.

I had a friend who was an au pair (sp?) in Europe about 15 years ago and she came back to the US wedded to her pressure cooker for almost everything, so i know that it's probably more versatile than I give it credit for.

It's onle of those things (like a rice cooker) that I am very happy to have.

I am so glad this question came up. We have been waffling on the same thing - and think it would be great for tougher cuts of meat.

But a few weeks ago, our niece sent over a stew in one and when I dumped the stew there was this huge mess in the bottom that took me an hour to dig out. Burned on goop about half-an-inch deep. That kind of turned us off the whole thing for the moment.

If you all tell me that was not normal (and how to prevent it), then we'll probably spring for one, too.

I've never had anything burn in a pressure cooker. The moisture stays in (which is how the pressure gets built up) making it hard to burn something.

Maybe not enough liquid? Such that all the liquid turned to vapor, allowing the burning?

Could it have been "precooked" and burned before you made it?

HMMMMMMMMMMM .... ??

It was pre-cooked before we got it. And the stew had plenty of liquid and didn't taste burned. That's when I started to wonder if this was a lovely side benefit of pressure cookers or just the "cook." (I also had to wonder if it was a leftover from "stews past and present." Surely not.)

Our favorite BBQ joint always does a combo of pressure cooking/smoking (as I'm sure many do) and that's what we talk about duplicating at home.

My only other guesses are:

1. Your pressure cooker does not have a good thick base to transmit heat. Just like cookware, you are more apt to burn food with a thin bottom.

2. You didn't build up pressure fast enough. If you don't get the temp up in the sealed cooker fast enough maybe the food could burn.

Still ... hmmmmmmm.....

I love my pressure cooker. As jennyema said buying the cheapest one will expose you to the risk of food getting possibly burnt. My pressure cooker was picked up by a friend in Paris. It is 250 dollars and it is extremely heavy duty. I use it regularly (it's been 3 years now) for meat stews and for dahl (beans). It works extremely well. The food is moist, tender and cooks in 1/4 of the time that it would take to cook in a normal pan.

In today's day when gas is so expensive it makes all the more sense to use it to cut back on your gas consumption (that is if you have a gas stove) and to get a meal quickly on the table.

Thank you all for your replies, I've enjoyed reading them immensely, but, ................

Yakuta: you've virtually sold me to put up with the pain and purchase :LOL:

Jennyema: great stuff and thank you - yes, a rice cooker does more than cook rice, when the stove top is full, out comes the rice cooker.

TexasBlue: scary stuff. You've now opened up another can of worms. :LOL: Pressure + smoking.

I have looked at some dedicated PC recipes & found one for a stew where the meat was sealed in the cooker, then the pot was deglazed with cola, meat & veges returned to the pot & cooked. Perhaps if the bottom of the pot wasn't deglazed properly this could lead to sticking & burning.

I haven't finished exploring http://www.recipezaar.com/r/16/229 but this appears to have some nice starter ideas.

Looks like I have to buy rather than fry.

Once again, thank you all for your time, very much appreciated. :) :)

Get a pressure canner-cooker (usually in the 12-23 qt size) and you can use it for both cooking and canning!

I can see the pressure+smoking thing working ... smoke a tough cut of meat for an hour (for the flavor) and then pressure cook it the rest of the way.

I'm still a little confused about the "gunk" in the bottom of the pan.

Michael in FtW said:
Get a pressure canner-cooker (usually in the 12-23 qt size) and you can use it for both cooking and canning!
Oh cool, I did not realize this. I have wanted both of these things, but could not justify buying either as I do not think I would use either a whole lot and certainly do not want to take up that much space, but if one does the job of both then that pushes me that much closer to buying a pressure canner :chef:

I don't think a big cooker would fit on our 4 burner Michael.

I was thinking more towards an 8 litre which would be about 7 quarts (or there abouts). I'm sure that's the size I've been looking at, could be bigger though.

We only have a mandarin tree out the back since I knocked the fig tree over. Preserving is great if you have access to fresh fruit or veg at the right price, unfortunately I haven't the fitness to hook into the gardening like I once did.

A shame really, but not to worry.

Go and do it GB!!

As soon as DW gets home from her "gathering mission" I'm off to the store to pick one up. :LOL:

If it is a decent size of course. Then I have to get it past DW & think of a good story about how it arrived here. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
This is something I remember mom using often. Mom was an awesome cook....she came from the south and could whip up the most amazing meals. I remember the summer before she passed we were at a rummage sale and there was a small pressure cooker and I was going to buy it but she asked that I not because she was afraid I may get burnt by the steam build up in them....I opted against it. Just be extremely careful and be sure to read all the material that comes with it on how to use it safely. Personally, I won't take a chance.

No worries Sizzlin, I haven't injured myself for a while now, except for when I cut myself while dicing onions, burnt my finger making caramel, tipped hot water on my foot, got bitten by nextdoor's dog, fell out of the car, walked into the wing of the plane next to ours.

I bit the bullet and have returned home with a small pressure cooker in hand. DW glared as I walked through the door and exclaimed "Well, there goes your Father's Day prezzy!!"

"Don't worry my dear," says I "a carton of beer will do just nicely" :Rofl:

Now all I have to do is learn to drive it properly. The little recipe book they supply with it seems quite good, with things like Poor Man's Lobster. Can't use it tonight, DW has started dinner already. :D

ahh pressure cookers!

I am glad that so many of us here have discovered the joys of using these invaluable inventions.

My mom used one as early as the late forties, I have used one all my life, even while camping, especially in Nova Scotia to cook fresh fish. On my first trip to the sunny states it was the main cooking utensil I took with me and I never regretted it.

I wish I could afford a better one than I have, I presently use a Lagostina 5 qt and it does our family of 4 just fine.

It is important to spend some time learning to use it properly but once you get the hang of it there is no problem.

Wow Brooksy.....you've had your share of accidental moments! Good luck with this new adventure and let us know about your creations.

I've got two - one is around 5qts for family meals, and the other is around 10qts for entertaining/stocks/big stuff.

I love them - if you make a lot of casseroles, stews, curries or soups then you should definately get one. The most likely reason the food was burned on the bottom was because it was cooked on too high a heat...once the thing is sputtering steam then you need to turn the heat down so that you just get a gentle steady hissing. They are also great for cooking ribs in before you add BBQ sauce and grill them. Stick a whole chicken in, along with some veggies and water and you will have cooked chicken meat for recipes and make great stock at the same time.

Unless you are cooking everything in bulk, I wouldn't get one of the large canning types because you will have more of a 'burnt bottom' risk if you try to cook a small quantity in a large pan. Also remember that you can only fill these things between 1/2 and 2/3 full - so bear that in mind when choosing your size.

Paint.

P.S....Wow! things happen fast on this board - I see you already bought one LOL! I'm sure it didn't take me that long to type this message! You have the same mindset as me...I buy stuff and then if & when hubby notices it, I claim that it's 'been in the cupboard for years dear' LOL!
Don't worry that DW has started supper - you can maybe whip up some soup for lunch tomorrow with the leftovers?

Last edited:
SizzlininIN said:
This is something I remember mom using often. Mom was an awesome cook....she came from the south and could whip up the most amazing meals. I remember the summer before she passed we were at a rummage sale and there was a small pressure cooker and I was going to buy it but she asked that I not because she was afraid I may get burnt by the steam build up in them....I opted against it. Just be extremely careful and be sure to read all the material that comes with it on how to use it safely. Personally, I won't take a chance.

Don't worry Sizzlin, they have improved the design of pressure cookers immensely over the years and are now chock full of great safety features :)

Paint.

My Parents use a very large one when I was growing up..5 kids to feed so it took a large one..LOL

DH won one at Bingo right after we were married..1954. We have had one in our kitchen since then. Love to put a pot roast, Veg. soup or beans in mine if I didn't plan on using the slow cooker in time for dinner.
Wouldn't be without one.
Marge

I love my electric pressure cooker

I have a Wolfgang Puck Electric Pressure Cooker. I like it because the cookbook tells you exactly what temperature to use. You can also use it to deep fry food without using the lid. It makes wonderful soup and very tender artichokes.
Yes, I am afraid of it and don't get close to it unless I have to when it is cooking. I guess that is because I did not grow up with one.
I probably wouldn't have bought it if I did not get it at a discount store. I think they are sold on the Home shopping channel which also has customer reviews of their products.

I love my pressure cooker!!!!! I vote a big YES.

Gerrycook - if you have a newer one there are several safety features that prevent it from opening when the pressure is too high. But a good dose of respect for it isn't a bad thing!!!

Back
Top Bottom