Sylvia's Coconut Cream Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
SYLVIA'S COCONUT CREAM PIE

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

1 cup plus 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
Evaporated milk can of water
2 egg yolks
3/4 cup flaked coconut, plus more for finishing pie
1 (9- to 10-inch) baked pie shell
2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
COMBINE 1 cup sugar and flour in a saucepan Mix evaporated milk with milk can of water and add egg yolks. Stir well. Put over medium heat and stir until it begins to boil. Add 3/4 cup coconut and cook until mixture thickens. Pour into baked pie shell.

BEAT egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl with electric mixer on medium until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high and gradually beat in remaining 4 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over hot pie filling, sealing edges to pie crust. Sprinkle with a small amount of coconut . Bake in a 325-degree oven until meringue browns.

OK, I don't know how you knew I wanted a coconut cream pie recipe today Raine, but I am taking it as fate that you posted this one. THANKS!

Now for the question part of the program. What can I use instead of evaporated milk? I don't have any at home and because of the filthy weather don't particularly want to go out shopping either. Would homo milk work? Or maybe homo with some sugar or dry milk powder?

You rule Raine. Thanks. I am glad to see I was on track with the dry milk stuff. I will let you know how it turns out.

Please do. Always enjoy hearing about how a recipe turns out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom