Hey GB i have a question for you....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funny story about that pepper that I have told before. Well actually not that one, but one from the same batch. That was a jalopeno from my brothers garden. He gave me a bunch of them one year. Well I made chili and decided that would be a good use for his peppers so I took one and cut it up. I can handle a lot of heat so I popped a piece in my mouth. You can imagine my disappointment when I found it had about as much heat as a green bell pepper. It was sweet with no hint of heat at all. It was tasty, but not what I was looking for. Fast forward a few hours. I start to feel a slight tingle on my hands, then my eyes, then other places (some I can't mention here). That tingle quickly turned to minor burning which gave way to pain, REAL pain. For a good 2 hours I could not move. It felt like my skin was being peeled off with a veggie peeler. Finally the pain started to subside. It still hurt like heck, but it was not so bad that I couldn't function. By the time I was ready for bed I was doing OK. I went to wash up and as soon as the water hit my hands the pain was back in full force. Water seemed to reactivate the heat. The next morning my shower brought the pain back again. This went on for about 8 full days. It got better each day, but any contact with water was not fun.

I learned my lesson big time that day. I ALWAYS wear gloves now when cutting peppers, even if they do not taste hot :shock:

WOAH!:blink: And the wearing gloves thing......OOOOHHHH YEAH.......It sure does feel better than being curled up in your office! Although, it was even after i washed my hands, i went to the bathroom, and washed up again, then had an itch on my eye!

I finished out the day in the office!:ermm:

GB, atleast for 6 days i had the burn and 3 were the residual tingles!:blink:
So yeah, something we share, that we'd NEVER want to EVER again! But the stories we can tell!:mrgreen:

And thanks Raven for the nickname!:-p

Ah! Okay I see I need more nicknames :mrgreen:

BBQ - How about "El Gringo Calente'"? :mrgreen:

Let's see, we've also got:

Vincent d'Airy (incendiary)

Pepper Pete the Fargo Flamethrower

Salsa Sam the AARGH! of Albuquerque

Lava Larry the Stockton Stoker

Neuclear Pyle and the Heavy Water Gang (favorite tactic: shooting a fire-hose over the head of their enemies and Bingo! You Rainey 'em!)

And since I can never tell who's male and who's female on these boards:

Charolette (aka. Char) Cole

Ashley (aka. Ash) Pyle

And let's not forget...

Zippo the Clown from Flint Mi (He can't lift much so while others carry water, he only carries the lighter fluids)

:mrgreen:

~ Raven ~

GB,

Your experience with that pepper reminds me of the time I tried some capsaicin cream on my elbows. I put it on right before going to bed. Right after I got in bed, my arms literally felt like they were on fire. I tried washing it off, but it just spread the heat (which was also on my hands from rubbing it into my elbows in the first place). I have a high tolerance for pain, but I could not bear the pain this caused. I ended up spending the rest of the night kneeling by the side of the tub with my arms soaking in cold water. It was the closest thing I could find to relief. I brought that cream back to the store and told them it was dangerous! I couldn't believe that they market that stuff for old people. I could just imagine what it would be like for an elderly person with delicate skin.

I can eat hot stuff all day long, but no more of that cream!

:) Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom