Lighting A Charcoal Fire W/O Lighter Fluid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
OK, I know it can be done but how in the blue heck do you start a charcoal fire in a smoker without lighter fluid?(It wasn't the pre-soaked stuff) I was going to smoke a turkey today & I tried for about an hour to get the fire started with no luck. I finally gave up & put the bird in the oven. I would like to know for future reference though. I have seen it done but for some reason I just can't do it! Now, be easy on me, I just learned how to light a charcoal fire with lighter fluid this summer.:blush:

2 ways to quickly light the charcoal.

1. A charcoal chimmney
2. a weed burner

I don't have either one of those. I guess a trip to Wal-Mart Lowes, or Home Depot is in order soon! I keep nagging (for lack of a better word) hubby to get a chimmney but he dosen't see the point of it. Now that he's not getting the smoked turkey he wanted maybe he will.:rolleyes: Thanks Raine!:)

Last edited:
Don't rely on your hubby Crewsk. Go out and pick one up yourself. It shouldn't cost more than about $15-$20 and once your husband sees the thing in action he will be thanking you for buying it. You will never have trouble lighting charcoal again.

If you lived close by I would give you mine since I now use a gas (gasp :angel: ) grill and no longer need my chimney.

Last edited by a moderator:
A chimney seems to be the most popular and easiest method. It's relatively inexpensive ($10 to $20 depending on brand name) and simple to use. Charcoal in the top, newspaper in the bottom, lighted match in the newspaper. After a few minutes, when the coals are covered with ash, ou dump them into the smoker or grill.

We use a gas grill too GB & I was going to do the turkey on it but we're almost out of gas & I didn't feel like going to swap out the tank. (Can we say lazy?:LOL: ) I have to go to my parents Thursday so I'll stop & pick one up on my home from their house. I normally don't depend on hubby to get things but since he has most of the $, sometimes I have to.:rolleyes:

Yeah there can be a big Difference. You want to look for one that is sturdy, has a good handle, and possibly a guard. You can tell the cheapo ones right away. They feel cheap. Webber (of course) makes a very good chimney. Look at one of those and compare to a lesser brand.

Yep, go with the Weber chimmney. They are a little bit larger and they will last longer.

You can get the weed burners at Northern or harbour frieght for about 15-20 also. They are multi purpose, you can melt ice off the steps and driveways. Weed burner will require gas, where the chimmney does not.

I may get hubby a weed burner for Christmas. Sounds like something he'd like using more than me anyway. Plus there's a Northern of Harbour Freight right above my in-laws house(just can't remember which one it is). Thanks Raine!

I know most on this site favor a chimmney, but don't forget about electrical elements. I have one that came with the smoker I bought from a garage sale. I've seen them in the store for about 10-15 dollars. I have never used a chimmney but I love the fact that I can have a huge pile of coals and move the element around different spots to get it to start.

Also, you can use a gas burner, such as on your gas grill or a turkey fryer. Sit the chimmney on the burner and it will be flaming in no time.

For charcoal - I'm another chimmney starter fan. It doesn't need fluid, gas or electricity ... just a couple of sheets of newspaper and a match.

No newspaper? Just check your mailbox - always plenty of circulars and unwanted bills you can use instead! :LOL:

I have two chimneys and use them all the time, but the BEST way
to light charcoal is with a 220,000 BTU propane BLOW TORCH!!! :LOL:

(or at least it's the funnest way and it sure takes the wait out)

hock2.gif

HH;
If you use paper cups for outdoor meals, or for impromptu gatherings, just rinse them when they are used. Stack them together, and place beneath the charcoal (I have a Webber Kettle so I stick them under the fire grate). Then, just light one of the cups. They are coated in parafin and burn for a long time. They will start any batch of charcoal. They have never failed me.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom