Pork Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bam!!

Cook
Hi all,

I'd love some recipes, mops and ways to make a whole pig on a rotisserie over an open flame.

Thanks so much

Bam, check out the Outdoor Cooking Forum and all its subforums. You will find more than enough useful information.

I don't think I'd do a whole pig over an "open" flame. Indirect slow cooking works the best for that size beast.

Rack of Pork with Apple Cider Sauce

For the Brine:
1 G Water
1 C Kosher Salt
1 C Brown Sugar
1 Tb Peppercorns
2 Thyme Sprigs

For the Roast:
5 Lb Rack of Pork (8 ribs)
TT Salt & Pepper
Olive oil

Thyme Sprigs

In the Roasting Pan:
4 Carrots
1 Head Garlic, split
1 Onion, halved
2 Shallots, halved

For the Sauce:
2 Tb Apple Liqueur
2 C Apple Juice
2 Tb Butter

Have butcher cut the chine bone in between each rib of the pork roast to make carving easier. Leave the fat cap on for added moisture and flavor.

Mix the water, salt and brown sugar until dissolved. Add peppercorns and a few thyme sprigs. Place the pork roast in the brine. Refrigerate for 6 hours. Remove pork from the brine and dry thoroughly with paper towels.

Preheat oven to 400º
F.

Lay thyme sprigs all over the pork roast, season with salt and pepper, then secure with butcher’s twine to help hold the shape.

Coat a roasting pan with a little olive oil and set on 2 burners over high heat until almost smoking. Sear the pork, fat side down, until caramelized. Turn the roast to brown all sides; this should take about 10 minutes.

To flavor the pork drippings, scatter carrots, garlic, onion, shallots and more thyme sprigs in the pan, then transfer the roast to oven. Roast until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the roast registers 145-150º F, approximately 1 hour.

Remove the pork to a cutting board and cover with foil.

Discard the aromatic vegetables from the roasting pan, set pan on 2 burners over medium heat. Deglaze with the apple liqueur. Add the apple juice, scraping up the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Reduce by a third. Season with salt and pepper; off the heat, whisk in butter for a rich creamy texture.

I haven't been to a good pig pickin' in awhile! (For those who don't know what that is, it's a southern thang y'all)

Raine might have some advice for you, and it looks like you've already gotten some good advice.

:) Barbara

Thanks all, Would it be possible to transfer this thread to the BBQ section of the forum ?

Awesome section by the way and I love the new setup here!

:)

Unless it has been brought up before I would like to talk about roast pork. Last night we did one with rosemary and anchovies. It is not very traditional in an appley sort of way. Along with the roast meat, sweet potatoes were cooked in the pan. We all really enjoyed it even the kids. It was served with egg mayonnaise with chopped rosemary mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom