Your Favorite Appetizer To Make

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
We've just recently started getting together with other couples on Friday nights for Game night. I made some hot wings last week. Here's an open invitation for you guys to join us..........what appetizer would you bring?

Here's the recipe for the wings I made:

SIZZ'S HOT WINGS

5 # Chicken Wings

10 1/2 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted

1 1/4 cup Frank's Hot Sauce

Salt

Pepper

Remove the tips on the chicken wings, then seperate the other portion at the joint.....resulting in 2 pieces. Discard the tips. Wash the chicken pieces and remove any feathers.

Dab the chicken pieces with paper towels removing the excess water. Place the pieces on a non stick baking pan in a single layer.....try to leave a little room between each piece. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.

Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes......turning once half way into cooking time. Note: Oven temps vary so be sure to keep an eye on the wings so they don't burn.

Remove chicken pieces and put in a large bowl.

In a seperate bowl melt the butter or margarine, then add the hot sauce. Stir together till blended well. Pour over chicken pieces and toss in the hot sauce mixture.

Serve with celery sticks and ranch dressing.

Stuffed mushrooms with bacon

Description:

Ingredients:
16 large white mushrooms
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
3/4 cup stick butter
1/2 cup bread crumbs ( I use garlic flavored but, you can use any
that you'd like)
1/2 cup fresh bacon bits

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350
Clean mushrooms, remove and chop stems
Saute stems, garlic, and onions in butter, just until soft.
Remove from heat and add bread crumbs and cheese, mix well.
fill mushroom caps with the mixture and sprinkle cooked bacon on
top.

If you want you can add the bacon to the onion mixture instead of
putting it on the top of the mushrooms.

pds.....those sounds absolutely wonderful. kleenex.....I'm curious as to how you'll keep those crispy till you get here and we actually sit down to play?

I make all kinds of appetizers, but honestly, the thing I make the most is the good ole Velveeta dip, made with Pace Piquante sauce. I just melt it up in the nuke, then serve with Frito's (HB's fave) or tortilla chips, and a tray of raw vegies.
Sometimes I do it in a crock pot...either way works fine.

Tex Mex- Easy to make and everyone seems to love it.

1st layer
2 cans frito lay bean dip (white label)-sometimes I will use black bean dip if I can't find frito lay.

2nd layer
3 ripe avocados
2 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

3rd layer
1 8oz. carton sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 package taco seasoning mix

Remaining Layers
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 can black olives, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
Longhorn Cheese, grated
Fritos or Doritos

Layer ingredients in order given. Serve with chips

pdswife said:
Stuffed mushrooms with bacon

Description:

Ingredients:
16 large white mushrooms
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
3/4 cup stick butter
1/2 cup bread crumbs ( I use garlic flavored but, you can use any that you'd like)
1/2 cup fresh bacon bits

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350
Clean mushrooms, remove and chop stems
Saute stems, garlic, and onions in butter, just until soft.
Remove from heat and add bread crumbs and cheese, mix well.
fill mushroom caps with the mixture and sprinkle cooked bacon on
top.

If you want you can add the bacon to the onion mixture instead of
putting it on the top of the mushrooms.
Am I missing something? Why did I preheat the oven? :mrgreen: Should I put the mushrooms in there? Just teasing--But, how long should they go in there?

:) Barbara

I do up this Brushetta that is usually a big hit. I chop up a white onion and a tomato and put it in a bowl. The add shredded cheese - whatever you like, I usually use mozz w/ it - and an envelope of Lipton Herb and Garlic. . then I grill the bread and the top it w/ the onion tomato mix and pop it in the oven for a little while until the cheese melts. It's pretty yummy! :rolleyes:

We one of my very favorite appetizers "Tooth Pick Things". It think it might be called a "Porcupine", elsewhere. Loved it since we were kids, as Mom made them all the time.

Just thread chunks of ham, salami, or even good bologna on toothpicks with chunks of semi soft cheese and dill pickles. Stick them all over a grapefruit. You can also add toothpicks of green and black olives.

The picture is a bird's eye view of my appetizer platter one Christmas, with the "toothpick things" in the center. There are also chunks of smoked salmon, grilled linguica, pinwheels of spinach, cheese and probably prosciutto, water chestnuts wrapped in bacon, and smoked gouda.

I love almost any finger-food appetizer! Always in search of new ones, but the ones in this picture were old family faves.

(Hope I attached the pic correctly!)

Lee

Attachments

• Christmas 2003 appetizers.jpg
    Christmas 2003 appetizers.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 233
I do the same thing, Qsis, except I include pineapple chunks on some of the picks.
Here's what I used to fix for our Margaritaville parties...I pinned leaf lettuce to styrofoam for the base of the tree, then stuck in my hors' douevres. The pink things are flamingos.
The watermelon whale is full of melon balls and canned mixed tropical fruit marinated in cherry brandy.

Attachments

• party tree.jpeg
    party tree.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Beautiful, Constance!!! LOL! And festive and fun!

I never think of adding non-edible garnishes, other than flowers occasionally, to my presentations. You've inspired me to be more creative!

Lee

Hi!

When I have people over I like to make stuffed cherry tomatoes. I know it sounds hectic and in some extent it is, but sooooo good. Here's what I do. I cut cherry tomatoes in half, i take the seeds out with a coffee spoon or a really small spoon to prevent the tomatoes from breaking. Then I get some mozzarella and I cut it in little pieces I will then stuff into the cherry tomatoes. I then grab some basil leaves and I put a small piece on each piece of mozzarella already in the tomatoes. I also buy crab legs (the imitation) and put them into the chopper with some light philadelphia cream cheese. And the I stuff the cherry tomatoes with the the paste. I put a little leaf of parsley on each to make them colorful.

I like this because I always complain that appetizers are very caloric and full of fat. This is quite healthy and quite tasty. I hope you can try making them some time and let me know how it goes.

Paolita

Here's one that I used to make. I would leave the shrimp out, and wouldn't stuff mushrooms, but I would spread the cheese mixture over thinly sliced baugettes and broil them to make cheese toast. VERY tasty.

Editted to add: I guess it would help if I posted the recipe!

Cheese and Shrimp Stuffed Mushrooms

1 # fresh mushrooms, as large as possible
1 stick butter
½ c shallots, minced
½ c cream
1 T flour
4 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
4 oz. American cheese, shredded
4 oz mozzarella, shredded
1 c bread cubes
1 # shrimp, peeled, cooked, chopped, and drained
1 T Creole season (or blackened seasoning)

Clean mushrooms, pull stems, and minced the stems.
In a saucepan, melt the butter and add shallots. Cook until color brightens. Add milk with flour mixed in and bring to a boil. Add cheeses a little at a time until all mixes well. Add bread crumbs and mix well. Add shrimp, and seasoning, mix well, and cook 10 – 15 minutes at a simmer, stirring frequently. Let cool, then fill mushroom caps with mixture. Cover and bake at 375°F for 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Shrimp Mold

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
3 tablespoons hot water
1-8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
7 oz. can shrimp
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup finely chopped celery
4 green onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1-2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce, optional

Remove cream cheese from refrigerator at least 4 hours before preparing. Heat soup. Dissolve gelatin in hot water. Mix gelatin into heated soup. Cool slightly. Add cream cheese, shrimp, mayonnaise, celery, green onions, garlic, and Tabasco sauce to soup and gelatin mixture. Place in mold and chill overnight or 6-7 hours. Serve with crackers. This dip can also be served out of a regular bowl. Spreaders help serve this dip easier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom