If you want to help w/Katrina victims

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Since we're all about food here, thought I'd post this link; they can put you in touch with your local food banks:

www.secondharvest.org

It's going to be a while before anyone can get into New Orleans; the last I heard they were evacuating the entire town; but, as someone else posted, the other towns along the gulf are accessible now.

Relating an experience from Hugo (which includes the RC, and is the basis of my feelings about them); it was about 2 weeks after the storm; folks on the 'mainland' were getting power and water back, and most folks were hunkering in for the 'restoration' phase. My ex is a chiropractor, and an elderly man and his adult son came staggering into his office, saying they had just walked 30 miles (Charleston is surrounded by barrier islands - James, John, Wadmalaw, Kiawah, Seabrook, to name a few) to get help for their isolated fishing community on Wadmalaw. If anyone remembers the Pat Conroy book/movie about him being a teacher on DeWees Island, we/re talking the same kind of rural, isolated fishing communities. All of their water is from wells, which of course, are run by electricity. These folks had had no water or power for two weeks, and no way to get off the island or communicate that they needed help.

We contacted the Red Cross, and the local disaster people, who said they "had no way to get to those people", and just dropped it. Completely. They were also turning back trucks still arriving in the city with water, food, clothing, etc.

Current hubbie, partner on a morning radio show in CHarleston, organized a dropoff at the radio station; we thought we'd have a truckload, and someone donated a small panel truck. We ended up with 3 huge truckloads of goods. Guys with chainsaws showed up, and they hacked their way out onto the island to clear the way. (Again, mind you, this was TWO WEEKS POST!). We drove into a little AME church, where the deacon met us, and formed a 'bucket brigade' to offload the goods we brought out. Took is all day, and as we were ready to leave, the deacon said, hold on a minute; up drove a station wagon of 'church ladies', with the best fried catfish, hush puppies and slaw, with sweet tea - and the church choir, who sang gospel songs for us as we ate.

Don't ever underestimate the power of the little people!

We have some canned goods and stuff from the restaurant that we are donating to them.

marmalady

WE need more like you! May you continue to have the ambiton and strength to make the difference. Also I ask for protection for you and your family. That is what is needed here. There is a school selling kool aid for Katrina victims. They were getting donations which surprised me every car gave as they went by. I admire people for their get up and get moving to help. In my own way, I will do what I can and pray for these people. Why this happened we cannot understand. I am only grateful that none of my immediate family is there. We should all put ourselves in their place. It is so heartbreaking to turn on the news. One good thing people do show their goodness when people have hard times.

My company is currently matching 150% of whatever employees are donating to the Am. Red Cross, which I think is pretty cool. I would encourage others to check with their employers to see if there they are offering anything like this. Salvation Army is usually my choice, but my $$ can go a lot further with a 150% match.

That's awesome! DH's radio station today organized a water drop; a trucker donated his rig and will drive it down to the Gulf states (not sure exactly where yet); they got WalMart to let 'em set up in the parking lot, and in 6 hours FILLED the rig (90,000 gallons of water), and $4500 in cash donations! People want to do SOMETHING.

I've heard a lot of churches are organizing to sponsor families; how great is that!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom