Which kind of Pumpkin- Pies or some other Cakes ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karaburun

Senior Cook
Hi everybody,

you know that I live with my family here in good old Germany, and at the last years it is more and more tradition to celebrate your Halloween.

I love this party.. really:LOL: This tradition comes from your citizens of Canada and the USA of the Nato Airbase here..

But there is the problem:

German´s have the habit the recipes make on the German way. This is boring, do you think also?

So. Now the question:

What do you bake on Halloween?
Which kind of Pumpkin recipes? Or with something else (apples, nuts. etc....)

Would you betray me your favourite recipes???

It´ll be very kind of you:-p :angel:

greetings from Germany
Tanja

It's the middle of the night or very, very early morning here in the good old USA / Canada! I bet your post will fill up quickly while you're sleeping and everyone else over here is awake. =)

When I think of Halloween, I think of carameled apples! I don't have a recipe for one off the top of my head but I'll dig around and see what I can find. What you basically do is insert a stick into a whole, unpeeled apple and then dunk the entire thing into a rich, gooey caramel coating. Let them set for awhile and then let the mess begin as you eat one! The sweet caramel is a perfect pairing with the tartness of an apple.

:heart:
Z

Last edited:
For Haloween, we don't do much cooking. Usually caramel corn, pumpkin shaped cookies, Chocolate cake may be some of the things. There is so much candy that we don't like to add too the problem.

Thank´s you both..:rolleyes:

I´ve thought, that everybody in your country makes a really good traditional menu:LOL: :LOL:

Here they makes really big partys on Halloween, with big and fat buffet with things from pumpkins and some discustings things...

A very drink of my own is:

Gruene Kroetenrotze
Green frogg spittle...:LOL:

If you want the recipe... call me.:angel:

OK. What do you make /bake with your pumpkins??
And can anyone give me their family recipe??

It will be very kind of you.:-p

greetings from (now) sunny Germany
Tanja

Pumpkin soup is great. Cut & clean the pumpkin. Disgard seeds. Boil with salt till soft. Put in a blender or processer. Strain and place in a pot on med. heat. Add some chicken broth. As the soup heats add a small amt. of cream. Pour into bowls and garnish with a few drops of sherry. You can add any other ingredients you like and it's also good cold. I like to serve it in a hollowed-out small pumpkin.

This is my favorite pumpkin muffin recipe

Pumpkin Muffins

1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1 1/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch ground cloves (some more if you like)

1 pinch ground cardamom (some more if you like)
1 pinch nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
4-5 tbsp maple syrup
1 cup pumpkin puree
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs

Roast the pumpkin seeds on a baking tray at 350 F until slightly brown.
Approx. 10 min.
Set the oven temp to 375
In a bowl mix flour, spices, pumpkin seeds (save 2 tbsp for decorating) and salt. In a seperate bowl stir togehter eggs, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, sugar and melted butter until sugar is dissolved.
Add the pumpkin mix to the flour mixture. Stir just enough to combine and wet all Ingredients. Don’t overmix.
Pour into muffin pan and sprinkle with remaining pumpkin seeds.
Bake for 25-30. Let the muffins rest for about 5 min. then remove carefully from the pan.

Other than frying pumpkin seeds and making decorated cookies, we really don't do anything for Halloween.

Hi karaburun,

Well, I try to make a different pumpkin dish every year. I've made pumpkin crisp, pumpkin squares, pumpkin cheesecake (that is delicious) and a VERY easy pumpkin gooey cake that I saw Paula Dean make on Food TV. I will post that recipe below.

Also, years ago, a friend of mine introduced me to "Meatloaf in a Pumpkin". Get a SMALL sugar pumpkin. Scoop out the seeds (salt and roast the seeds) and scoop out the gooey threads so that the inside of the pumpkin is clean. Make your favorite meatloaf recipe and stuff it into the pumpkin. Draw a face on the pumpkin with black magic marker. Bake the pumpkin at 350 for maybe 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the flesh of the pumpkin is soft and tender. Bake some potatoes and apples along with the pumpkin, to serve as side dishes and to place around the pumpkin on a large platter. To serve, use a big spoon to scoop out chunks of meatloaf and make sure to get some pumpkin flesh along with it!

Another idea is to make Sausage and Squash stew and serve it in small par-cooked cleaned pumpkin bowls. I love this stew!

Sausage and Squash Stew

2 T olive oil
2 onions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
some garlic, chopped
1 pound of Italian sausage links, pricked all over
2 cups chicken broth
4 portobello mushroom caps, cut into half inch pieces
1 package peeled butternut squash, cut into half inch pieces
1 bag fresh spinach
1 T fresh thyme (or 1 teas dried)
Parm cheese for sprinkling

In a large pot, heat the oil and cook the onions, garlic, salt and pepper for 5 minutes. Add the sausages and cook to brown them. Add 1/2 cup of chicken stock to the pan, then add the mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes..

Stir in the squash and the thyme. Pour the remaining 1 1/2 cups stock and bring mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and cover the pan, simmer the stew for 20 minutes or until squash is tender.

Remove about 5 pieces of squash and mash them, then return to the stew. Slice the sausages down the middle and cut into bite-sized chunks, then return them to the stew. Add the spinach and cook for a few minutes until it's tender but still bright green.

Sprinkle with parm. cheese to serve.

Here's Paula's gooey cake recipe - it's excellent (well, all gooey cakes are excellent!)

Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Yield: : 6 to 8 servings
User Rating:
5_stars.gif

Cake:
1 (18 1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted
Filling:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To make the cake: Combine all of the ingredients and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan. Prepare filling.

To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese
and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.

Serve with fresh whipped cream

Now, karaburun, do you have a recipe for Rugelach? My boyfriend wants me to make some for him.

Thanks!

Lee

Halloween for us is mostly candy!! Because there is so much sugar involved we have always made my grandma's spicy vegetable soup on Halloween night. It is fairly healthy and it can stay warm on the stove the whole night so no matter how late someone gets in from either trick or treating or partying the soup is ready. We usually do most of our pumpkin cooking on Thanksgiving. Like QSis I make Paula Dean's gooey pumpkin cakes for Thanksgiving.

This is my mom's recipe that she fixes every Thanksgiving and it seems to be devoured every time.

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie

3/4 cup milk
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/8 t. salt
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 teaspoon nutmeg
5 eggs, separate out yolks
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup cold water
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup sugar
1 9inch deep dish pie shell, baked
Butterscotch Sauce
Whipped Cream
Caramelized Almonds
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup slivered blanched almonds

Heat milk with pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, and spices. Beat egg yolks slightly and add hot mixture gradually to yolks. Mix well and cook in double boiler until thick, stirring constantly.

Soften gelatin in cold water and add to hot custard. Stir until dissolved. Cool until it begins to thicken.

Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold in custard. Cool a little whild, but not until set.

Whip cream. Fold the 1/3 cup sugar into whipped cream, then fold cream into pumpkin mixture. Chill until very thick and pour into baked pie shell. chill until set.

Before serving, sprinkle each piece with caramelized almonds. Dribble with butterscotch sauce (store bought) and top with whipped cream.

Caramelized almonds: Stir sugar and almonds constantly in heavy skillet until light and caramel color. Spread on greased cookie sheet or waxed paper. Break apart when cool.

PUMPKIN COOKIES

MIX TOGETHER

2 CUPS SUGAR

1 CUP OIL

2 CUPS PUMPKIN

1/2 TEASPOON SALT

1 3/4 TEASPOONS CINNAMON

2 TEASPOONS SODA

ADD

4 CUPS FLOUR

DROP ON COOKY SHEET AND BAKE AT 350

If you make them...I hope you enjoy!

Here's one my kids have made in school at Halloween parties:

Halloween Spider Cookies

Oreo cookies**
frosting mix
red licorice ropes
mini M&Ms or chocolate chips

Split the cookies and put three lengths of red rope licorice across the frosting, letting about 2 inches hang out both sides for legs. Add a little canned frosting and put the cookies back together. Put two small dollops of frosting on edge of cookie and add two M&Ms or chips for eyes.

**In case you aren't familiar with Oreo cookies, here's what they look like:

oreo-9951.jpg

wow:mrgreen: :shock: :shock:......
What happens here???

Great!!

Thank´s a lot for so much recipes...

I´ve told friends of mine, that I´ve published these thread for original Halloween recipes... and their are also waiting for all your recipes..

WOW! What will they make big eyes, when I give alt of that to them...

But if you have another recipe, please post it.:rolleyes: :whistling :kiss:

Tanja

Halloween was always a big thing in Scotland when I was young. We used to dress up and go 'guising' (from disguised) and call round at the neighbours, where we would get a small sweetie or an apple, orange or some nuts. We HAD to sing or dance or recite a poem - no prize if you didn't perform! In recent years, we seem to have re-imported OUR traditions had morphed in the US to 'Trick or Treating' :ermm:

We used to have wonderful Halloween parties with lots of games - 'dooking for aiples' (ducking for apples) a large zinc bath would be filled with water and small apples floated on the top - children had to try to bite the apple to 'catch' it, without using your hands... Quite a skill! Then there were strings suspended from a horizontal pole and at the end would be tied a toffee apple. Again the aim of the game was to capture the apple by biting at it - the children had their hands tied behind their backs.

Back
Top Bottom