Green tomato and apple chutney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
I've got loads of green tomatoes left on the plants and I want to cut down the plants to throw the plants onto the compost, so I have decided to make a batch of chutney. Here's my recipe. If you haVe loads more fruit, then just scale up the recipe - I'll be using 6 lbs of tomatoes, 6 lbs apples etc.

2 lb green tomatoes, skinned, de-seeded and chopped
2 lb cooking apples, cored and chopped(leave skin on)
1 lb onions, peeled AND finely chopeed
4 oz sultanas
4 oz raisins
0.6 oz ground ginger
12 oz dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry English mustard powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 pint vinegar- either wine or malt

Prepare the tomatoes, Apples and onions, Place in saucepan with all the dry inredients and the vinegAr. Gently bring to the boil stirring until all the sugar is dissolved. Simmer gently for about 2 hours, stirring from time to time. When cooked put into clean, warmed jars and cover with vinegar-proof tops. Store in a cool, dark place.

I like your recipe, Ishbel. It seems like a great idea to use the last of your tomato crop. I was planning to make a peach chutney, but I think I'll try yours first...Sandyj

If yo still have some green tomatoes left after the chutney, consider making fried green tomatoes or green tomato pickles.

I made the chutney this evening (silly woman that I am to choose such a hot and humid evening to make chutney!)

Got 8 lb jars out of the crop - and there are more tomatoes STILL to be used.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom