Fajitas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tater Tot

Cook
All day long I get asked for flank or sirloin steak for fajitas. Why im not sure except alot of northern cook books call for flank steak and west coast for sirloin. Growing up in Texas I never heard of such things, flank or sirloin, for fajitas! If you want true fajitas try skirt steak. It does not have to be marinated as long as flank and has 10x more flavor.. Give it a try!

Tater tot

Tater, lots of places don't carry skirt steaks, so flank is the 2nd best choice. I agree, skirts are great when you can find them!

marmalady said:
Tater, lots of places don't carry skirt steaks, so flank is the 2nd best choice. I agree, skirts are great when you can find them!

I know by location I may be lucky..There are two cuts of meat we use every day down here in texas that most in the north consider trash meat, Briskets and Skirt. For us that is a sin! THe skirt comes from right under the flank and is what is used for the dish.. My problem is that you wont make baby back ribs with a shoulder picnic, nor would you make pot roast with a tenderloin. So how can one call a dish that takes a skirt steak and replace it with a pice of meat that has nothing to do with it and still call it by the same name..Sorry had to vent! :)

tater tot :)

Tater Tot said:
There are two cuts of meat we use every day down here in texas that most in the north consider trash meat, Briskets and Skirt. For us that is a sin!
Speaking as a Northerner I can say without a doubt that we do not consider either of those cuts trash. Brisket is my favorite comfort food and has been ever since my mom gave me my first bite (or was it my grandma?). As for skirt, I love it, but it has become so expensive that it is hard to justify buying. I agree flank is not the same as skirt, but it is less expensive and a very good substitute.

I would not sub shoulder picnic for baby backs because they are not really close, but skirt and flank are not all that dissimilar.

Okay, I know this is probably a dumb question but I'm not too familiar with a cow's anatomy... What is another name for skirt steak? I have never seen skirt steak at the butcher shop, but I've also never asked. I know that depending on the region you live in cuts will have different names, so are there any others for skirt steak or am I blind and they will be right in front of me???

--Ask me anything about caramel or chocolate and I can help you out. Ask me about beef and I'm lost! Unless you're asking me if I like to eat it that is... ;-)

amcardon said:
Okay, I know this is probably a dumb question but I'm not too familiar with a cow's anatomy... What is another name for skirt steak? I have never seen skirt steak at the butcher shop, but I've also never asked. I know that depending on the region you live in cuts will have different names, so are there any others for skirt steak or am I blind and they will be right in front of me???

--Ask me anything about caramel or chocolate and I can help you out. Ask me about beef and I'm lost! Unless you're asking me if I like to eat it that is... ;-)

Unless I'm mistaken, "skirt" steak is actually the diaphram of the cow, from inside the rib cage.

Last edited:
I certainly hope most folks are buying bottom round so I can get more skirt, flank, flat iron, and brisket for myself. LOL

GB said:
Speaking as a Northerner I can say without a doubt that we do not consider either of those cuts trash. Brisket is my favorite comfort food and has been ever since my mom gave me my first bite (or was it my grandma?). As for skirt, I love it, but it has become so expensive that it is hard to justify buying. I agree flank is not the same as skirt, but it is less expensive and a very good substitute.

I would not sub shoulder picnic for baby backs because they are not really close, but skirt and flank are not all that dissimilar.

Im aware that things are diffrent from state to state..First off I hope I didnt offend you. I only know what my customers down here tell me. Down here skirt sells for about 3.85 a pound wile flank is 7.65 a pound. That is where my lack of understanding comes from. Down here you can use a cheep peice of meat that the dish calls for or you can use a expensive peice with less flavor and tenderness that it does not...

Like I said it may be diffrent where you are. I guess it stems from being part of my job. I am asked what kind of meat to use and how to cook it (thanks to my father I can answer the later) and when you tell them they will go for what you told them not to get.. Arggg!! :) My problem is I do not like to change a recipe. If it calls for a spice I use that spice, and if it calls for a cut of meat I use that cut, If I dont then im not making the dish in that recipe.. Well thats my two cents worth (even tho its only about 0.5cents worth today)
Thank you for reading my babble..

Tater tot

AllenMI said:
Unless I'm mistaken, "skirt" steak is actually the diaphram of the cow, from inside the rib cage.

If you look at the cows belly it goes as follows from the front legs to the back: Brisket, plate, flank... And the skirt comes from the plate..

Tater

here is beef...

Attachments

• beef.jpg
    beef.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 224
GB said:
Nope you did not even come close to offending me :)

Sorry just wanted to make sure..I seem to have a way of talking down to someone when I am realy tring to help.. I just wanted to make sure :)

Back
Top Bottom