Crème Fraiche?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
Well, we came across a recipe that calls for "crème fraiche" the other day, I have seen it and I understand that it must be a french item and it is something like a heavy cream or sour cream... but they don't seem like exactly either of them and no one seem to know what exactly it is... can anyone pinpoint the definition of "crème fraiche"?

Good question urmaniac. Thanks for bringing it up. Hope to find an answer as well. So many recipes call for that ingredient. Guessing sour cream might suffice. Unfortunately, sometimes I won't try a recipe if the ingredients are not familiar to me, or seem like they're embellished just for the sake of making a recipe "look" good. I don't mind spending money on an ingredient, unless I know what it's all about.

Creme Fraiche

Licia:

This might be helpful.

[krehm FRESH]

This matured, thickened cream has a slightly tangy, nutty flavor and a velvety rich texture. The thickness of crème fraiche can range from that of commercial sour cream to almost as solid as room-temperature margarine.

This slightly sour thick cream doesn't curdle when it's heated, so it's ideal for making cream sauces or for adding to soups. It's also used for appetizers and as a fresh fruit or dessert topping.

In France, where crème fraiche is a specialty, the cream is unpasteurized and therefore contains the bacteria necessary to thicken it naturally. In America, where all commercial cream is pasteurized, the fermenting agents necessary for crème fraiche can be obtained by adding buttermilk or sour cream.

A very expensive American facsimile of crème fraiche is sold in some gourmet markets. The expense seems frivolous, however, when it's so easy to make an equally delicious version at home.

To make your own: Warm one cup heavy cream to about 100° F, then add two tablespoons of sour cream, cultured buttermilk, or plain yogurt (make sure you buy a brand that contains active cultures). Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 8 to 24 hours or until very thick before refrigerating. Stir well before covering and refrigerate up to 10 days.

A German friend of my daughter's gave us this recipe for creme fraiche. Perhaps you could use it.

Creme Fraiche

1 cup whipping cream mixed with

2 Tblsp buttermilk (real buttermilk, if possible)

Combine well in glass jar and cover.

Let stand at room temperature (about 70 degrees F) for 8 to 24 hours, or until thickened.

Stir well and refrigerate.

Use within 10 days.

Tips:

Use as a thickener for soups or sauces.

Spoon over fresh fruits, puddings, or warm cobblers.

Can be used in boiled recipes as it will not curdle.

To make Kräuter Creme Fraiche (herb creme fraiche)

Add:

2 large soupspoons of Parsley

2 large soupspoons of Dill

and chives diced small

Mix together with whipping cream and buttermilk.

Good definition Andy. Would like to know from chefs that have "actually" cooked with the ingredient, & if it's unique in it's flavor & shouldn't be substituted or home made. TIA

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
Licia:

This might be helpful.

[krehm FRESH]

This slightly sour thick cream doesn't curdle when it's heated, so it's ideal for making cream sauces or for adding to soups. It's also used for appetizers and as a fresh fruit or dessert topping.
--------------------------------------------------------
A very expensive American facsimile of crème fraiche is sold in some gourmet markets. The expense seems frivolous, however, when it's so easy to make an equally delicious version at home.

To make your own: Warm one cup heavy cream to about 100° F, then add two tablespoons of sour cream, cultured buttermilk, or plain yogurt (make sure you buy a brand that contains active cultures). Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 8 to 24 hours or until very thick before refrigerating. Stir well before covering and refrigerate up to 10 days.

Merci beau coup for the valuable info and the recipe!! It is very good to know that this thing doesn't curdle in the heat, as this is sometimes a very annoying problem when you are cooking something creamy. The recipe will be very handy as we just can't find it in italian shops!! I will definetely try it!!
Licia:chef:

licia said:
A German friend of my daughter's gave us this recipe for creme fraiche. Perhaps you could use it.

Thanks Licia (mamma mia you are Licia, too!!:LOL:)

The recipe sounds good, especially the krauter creme fraiche... we also tasted krauterkwark in the italian alps this summer and it was so unbelievably tasty!! we must try it!!

Licia(me too!!):chef:

I used to cook with it all the time back in England, because you can get regular, low-fat and fat-free creme fraiche in just about every grocery store there...I haven't found it over here yet, so I just substitute sour cream. The main difference is that creme fraiche is not as sour as sour cream, so you can use it as a dessert topping, i.e. over warm fruit pies & crumbles. The low-fat versions make a healthy alternative to whipped cream.

Here are two links...the first will tell you about Creme Fraiche, and the second link will provide recipes for substitutions...

http://www.deliaonline.com/ingredients/creme_fraiche,74,IN.html

http://www.deliaonline.com/ingredients/creme_fraiche,74,IN.htmlhttp://www.deliaonline.com/cookery-school/alternative-ingredients,989,AR.html
Best wishes, Paint.

Paint said:
I used to cook with it all the time back in England, because you can get regular, low-fat and fat-free creme fraiche in just about every grocery store there...I haven't found it over here yet, so I just substitute sour cream. The main difference is that creme fraiche is not as sour as sour cream, so you can use it as a dessert topping, i.e. over warm fruit pies & crumbles. The low-fat versions make a healthy alternative to whipped cream.

Here are two links...the first will tell you about Creme Fraiche, and the second link will provide recipes for substitutions...

http://www.deliaonline.com/ingredients/creme_fraiche,74,IN.html

http://www.deliaonline.com/cookery-school/alternative-ingredients,989,AR.html
Best wishes, Paint.
Hi Paint, I see you got the puter fixed:) Glad to see you back
kadesma

I haven't used creme fraiche in a sauce but when I use sour cream, I add it at the end and don't cook it. It seasons the sauce well and can't curdle. I use sour cream in my potato soup instead of milk and some of the other things. It always comes out smooth tasting, but I leave the potatoes chunky.

Hi everyone!!!!

I live in Belgium and use creme fraiche very often. It is not sour cream nor heavy cream. I looked it up in the transation dictionary and it says creme fraiche=creme fraiche... which is not quite helpful. But I could try and describe it. It has a neutral cream taste and it has a sort of liquid texture. I always compain because I was used to cooking with rather heavy creams. But if you are following a recipe and it says creme fraiche you can totally replace it with heavy cream, not wour cream. If you need more help with French terminology, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Paolita said:
I live in Belgium and use creme fraiche very often. It is not sour cream nor heavy cream. I looked it up in the transation dictionary and it says creme fraiche=creme fraiche... which is not quite helpful. But I could try and describe it. It has a neutral cream taste and it has a sort of liquid texture. I always compain because I was used to cooking with rather heavy creams. But if you are following a recipe and it says creme fraiche you can totally replace it with heavy cream, not wour cream. If you need more help with French terminology, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Hi Paolita!! Thanks for your description of creme fraiche! If there is no translation it must really be a french specialty...like it is no use trying to translate "Mozzarella"!! I think it will be useful in many recipes, when I get a chance I would like to try the recipe Andy gave me. And well, as you offtered assistance in French terminology, I would like to take up on that and ask you one another thing... what is the exact difference between camanbert and brie cheese? They seem to taste almost identical to me... Also another thing... (am I greedy!!) since you live in Belgium... are those lovely "Belgian Waffles" indeed Belgian specialty? If so do you know how to make them? Merci!!

Creme fraiche has an almost 'soured cream' taste to my tastebuds. I use it a lot in place of double cream, to finish soups etc.

Hi Ishbel I tried the shortbread recipe offered by you today!! Mmm mmm mmm they made me totally forget about the walkers version, they were soooo delicious!! (notice the past tense... right now I refuse to get on a scale!! ahahahahah!!)

Thanks so much for the brilliant recipe I will be doing it again!!

Hi urmaniac13:

I did some research on the cheese and it turns out camambert and brie are like almost the same. Camambert comes from Normandy (north of France) and Brie is originally from the ile de france (Paris). When I was little my mother would buy both cheeses and non of us could tell the difference. Many times, products are the same or almost the same and just have different names.

Regarding the Belgian waffles, they are indeed a Belgian speciality, and very caloric by the way. Each time I take the metro or something I can smell the waffles in the waffle shop and I am not always able to resist... guess we know where the extra pounds come from. I don't know how to make them but I will ask my mother in law and friends. As soon as I have the recipe, you'll be the first to know. I'll create a new thread, so you can find it. I'll name it belgian waffles.

Have a nice day

Belgian Waffles:
1 cup AP Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. yeast
3 tbs sugar
2eggs
3 tbs. cooking oil
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Heat milk until tepid but not boiling. Let cool until you can comfortably place your finger in it without it burning you, or better yet, use a thermometer. Milk should be at about 105' F. Add the sugar and yeast and stir to dissolve. Let it proof until you have a thick head of foam on top.

While the yeast is activating, seperate the eggs. In a warm bowl, whip the egg-whites intil stiff peaks form. Set aside.

Add the egg yoks, vanilla and salt to the milk. Gently fold in the flour until all is mixed into a smooth batter. Let rest 15 minutes. Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites. Cook in belgian waffle maker until the middle is set and the outside is crispy.

When removing from the iron, either serve immediately, or place on a cooling rack to allow the steam to escape or they will become soggy. Serve with fruit preserves, Cooked apple or pear slices, fresh strawberries, or sliced fruits such as peaches, pear, apple, etc. Finally, top with whipped cream.:chef:

When you enter the realm of the pancake king, know that he will know how to make varied and wonderful waffles as well.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

urmaniac13 said:
Hi Ishbel I tried the shortbread recipe offered by you today!! Mmm mmm mmm they made me totally forget about the walkers version, they were soooo delicious!! (notice the past tense... right now I refuse to get on a scale!! ahahahahah!!)

Thanks so much for the brilliant recipe I will be doing it again!!

It's funny, most Walker's products are popular in other parts of the world, but not so popular in Scotland. I don't think much of their products....:huh:

Glad you enjoyed my recipe!

Well, the walkers version is the only thing most of the folks outside Scotland know, that is the most likely explanation!! I feel lucky to come across the -RIGHT STUFF-!!:) Licia:chef:

Paolita said:
Hi urmaniac13:

I did some research on the cheese and it turns out camambert and brie are like almost the same. Camambert comes from Normandy (north of France) and Brie is originally from the ile de france (Paris). When I was little my mother would buy both cheeses and non of us could tell the difference. Many times, products are the same or almost the same and just have different names.

Regarding the Belgian waffles, they are indeed a Belgian speciality, and very caloric by the way. Each time I take the metro or something I can smell the waffles in the waffle shop and I am not always able to resist... guess we know where the extra pounds come from. I don't know how to make them but I will ask my mother in law and friends. As soon as I have the recipe, you'll be the first to know. I'll create a new thread, so you can find it. I'll name it belgian waffles.

Have a nice day

Thanks again Paolita you are sooo resourceful!! So I was not so far off, just the matter of how people calling basically the same product in different regions...(maybe the method of producing them slightly differ...) that happens quite often also in Italy... And I look forward to your waffle recipe as well, I agree they are highly irresistable and I will just have to do a few extra spinning classes at the gym!!:LOL:

I use creme fraiche a lot for my cooking. In Germany I can get it in any supermarket. Creme fraiche is a soured milk product made from cream and the regular version has a fat content from 30% to 40%. It is the gentle manufacturing procedure which is determining the fine, pleasing slightly sweet-sour taste.
Unfortunately I'm not able to buy creme fraiche in Orlando (well I found one store they carry it, but the price is insane!) so I make it myself.

I posted my recipe in the ethnic forum

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14450

Back
Top Bottom